Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Help, at the end of my tether
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Grunders

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Help, at the end of my tether

I have owned this current disco 3 for approximately 10-12 weeks and its been recovered (inc todays) 4 times

1st time, broke down in Abersoch on a sat morn, nearest tech was an AA patrol, couldnt diagnose the fault so car got recovered 4 days later leaving me stranded ( bank holiday weekend) faults were hdc, engine, suspension, gears etc, the fault was diagnosed as a brake light switch

2nd time, driving home at seventy in the outside lane, suspension lowered and hdc fault appeared, managed to get home but car juddered every now and then, LRA could only find a minor fault, land rover dealer couldnt find any, but i did get a shiny new steering wheel

3rd time ( last monday) i was going to a meeting in birmingham with 4 collueages, all the original faults came back, LRA found 2 fault codes, car recovered to main dealer, initially they stated it was the LR led rear lights i fitted but then decided it was the height sensors, new ones fitted and car returned back on thursday, as a precaution i have refitted the old lights, we were late for the meeting which was with the directors and did not go down very well

4th time (yesterday in Abersoch again) slowing down to take a left turn and all the same faults reoccured , however after cycling the ignition it allowed me to carry on, this morning travelling home at 10:30 it all happened again, phoned LRA who sent out the AA (who dont have the right equipment) and he couldnt find the fault but at least all the faults were displayed on the dash, got recovered by the AA and finally got my car home at 7:30, almost a day wasted, still got to get it to the dealers which will happen in the morning.....

I have lost my confidence in this car and my neighbours and colleagues think the car is a joke

Where do i stand legally as i am reluctant to keep a car that i have no faith in and is extremely unreliable,

Can anyone offer me some advice? What should i do, am i entitled to reject the car?
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #81814217th Jul 2011 11:07 pm
Targa

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Having had issues with my used D3 I have looked into this. Bottom line is that the right to reject outright seems to expire within a matter of weeks. It may be that your 10-12 weeks might put you in a bit of a grey area and it appears that if you do want to pursue rejection the sooner you return to the dealer and stop treating the vehicle as your own the better and it should be accompanied by a letter to the Dealership Principal setting out your rejection of the vehicle and the reasons why (sent by recoreded deliver). It appears to be important to show that you have acted reasonably and allowed the dealer the opportunity to rectify any faults.

You should really seek legal advice though before you do anything IMHO.

Post #81815118th Jul 2011 12:05 am
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This may be of some help to you.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Post #81815218th Jul 2011 12:12 am
dant

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had similar issues and took ages to find the fault. It used to occur mainly when turning left regardless of speed.
Faults were hdc, suspension, limited gears (auto), etc. Fault code was related to abs sensor.
It turned out to be the abs sensor cable rubbing on the back of the wheel after it had come loose (tricky to spot as it was very minor). Replaced the cable for about £15 and have not had a problem (related to that) since.

Dan

Post #81817418th Jul 2011 7:19 am
mzplcg

England 

Targa wrote:
Having had issues with my used D3 I have looked into this. Bottom line is that the right to reject outright seems to expire within a matter of weeks.

That's not necessarily true. It really depends on the catalogue of faults so far. I have previously rejected (successfully) a car after 6 months because of a string of faults which were never rectified to the point they didn't come back.

However, if you want to do this now the best course of action is to write to the dealer (as I did) and offer them one final opportunity to rectify the faults so they do not return, or give you a full refund as is your legal right under the Sale & Supply of Goods Act.

If they take the opportunity and fix the car - Happy days.
If they take the opportunity and fail to fix the car then they have breached the contract to repair the car and you are entitled to a refund.
If they start talking refunds etc you're on the home straight.

One question - is the car on finance? If so your claim to reject is better directed at or against the finance company. However, you would be using your rights under the Consumer Credit Act to do this so it only extends to a maximum purchase price of £30,000 under this option. Most D3's are less than this now so probably no big shakes.

Having said all that, a negotiated settlement is usually the better option. Might be worth asking the DP to give you back what you paid for the car against another similar car. Yes, some of the faults are common but no, they don't usually keep coming back like this. (although I still despair as to how a failed brake lamp can cripple a car). Anyway, the odds of another D3 doing all this are remote.

TBH, you could even suggest giving the car to another dealer for inspection and rectification work. If your dealer is using the same spanner bloke all the time (quite likely) then that part of the problem goes away. The chances are that the dealer is making the same bloke do it over and over. Fine for their profits but no good for your sanity.

If you need the number of a decent Consumer Law Solicitor, PM me. Hope it doesn't come to that though.

Good luck

Dom

Post #81817918th Jul 2011 7:51 am
Grunders

Thanks for the quick responses

Mzplcg.... The car is on finance and was under the £30k mark,

I am going to speak to the dealer this morning and try and speak to the DP himself (or is it better just to put it straight in writing?)

This is my second D3' i had no issues with the first one (it was an my06 in 2006-07) with 20k trouble free miles, this one is another story....

I'll keep you posted as this is the first time i have had to go through something like this.... Big learning curve ahead
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #81819018th Jul 2011 8:57 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

have they check/replaced the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor ?

just a long shot but the symptoms you describe are very similar to the problems I encountered. However, I would expect a Faultcode to show up for that Confused
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #81820118th Jul 2011 9:25 am
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

I was just about at the point of rejecting my D3 last year after 6 weeks of problems starting three months after I bought it (there was a wiring problem with both ABS unit and ECU). Unfortunately, I effectively gave the dealer an extra chance to fix it by misfuelling. Big Cry

The DP tried to persuade me I could not reject as there was no fixed number of times they had as opportunities to fix it. Wrong, it is three times - which he knew full well as one of his colleagues told me that they knew they were on their third and final attempt.

A difficulty with rejection is being sufficiently iron willed to force them to accept your rejection of the car - you have to be very specific and deliberate about this or they will capitalise on any perceived weakness in your approach. The downside is that you will suffer more from problems either way than them

After they fixed it I lost heart and swapped the car for a Subaru. It is a sign of (a) how much I loved the D3 that a year later I am still on here... and (b) how miserable the whole experience was that I have not bought another

Hope you get it sorted - I really feel for you... Thumbs Up

Post #81824718th Jul 2011 11:29 am
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
aa man in van v lr techy in d4

i find it mind bogling how when you call lr to report a fault(i did it twice in 3 days same symptoms) Shocked that they said i could have the aa, i asked her whats the point when the aa chappy,s fault finder cant even talk to a d3 and he wont have any bits in his bag to fix it.
the reply was aa man in an hour or maybee lr techy in d4 2 hours or so(this is a no brainer)got lr techy in just over an hour. Whistle (and a d4hse for 4 days) Rolling with laughter
Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #81833318th Jul 2011 3:00 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Grunders, please keep us informed. I'm sure there's a few of us that would like to know the cause of your woes, or if things go towards the rejection scenario, how that pans out. Knowledge is power....

Post #81834618th Jul 2011 3:20 pm
scoobystiv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

oop north wrote:
I was just about at the point of rejecting my D3 last year after 6 weeks of problems starting three months after I bought it (there was a wiring problem with both ABS unit and ECU). Unfortunately, I effectively gave the dealer an extra chance to fix it by misfuelling. Big Cry

The DP tried to persuade me I could not reject as there was no fixed number of times they had as opportunities to fix it. Wrong, it is three times - which he knew full well as one of his colleagues told me that they knew they were on their third and final attempt.

A difficulty with rejection is being sufficiently iron willed to force them to accept your rejection of the car - you have to be very specific and deliberate about this or they will capitalise on any perceived weakness in your approach. The downside is that you will suffer more from problems either way than them

After they fixed it I lost heart and swapped the car for a Subaru. It is a sign of (a) how much I loved the D3 that a year later I am still on here... and (b) how miserable the whole experience was that I have not bought another

Hope you get it sorted - I really feel for you... Thumbs Up

I did the same, left LR ownership due to problems with my first D3. After a 2 year gap(having tried several alternative 4x4s) I am now back in a D3. I have had Subarus and Land rover for over 10 years, always be aware that a Subaru can cost as much if not more when they go wrong, my STi spent 12 weeks of the road when the centre diff failed and cost nearly £1500. Then theres the £650 for new brake discs and pads every 25K miles. The costs for parts can spiral. I wouldnt be without the D3 it just does everything, at the same time I wouldnt be without my Impreza.
Once the faults are sorted on the D3 they are in a league of there own.
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi
Morris Minor 1000 4 door saloon(soon to be the Joker) 

Post #81836118th Jul 2011 4:17 pm
Grunders

At present i am awaiting a call from the service manager and the dealer principal.... Once i get a response ill update
Post #81836518th Jul 2011 4:23 pm
Grunders

Last night i spoke to the sales manager and told him how i feel about the car and how i have lost faith in its reliability, he explained about the warranty and things can sometimes go wrong, i agreed but not 4 times and at times when i needed the car for important journeys.

I stated the way i feel i want to reject the car, his response was i need to put this in writing, bowever he then said he would speak to the service manager and the dealer principal and see what could be worked out in regards to possibly compensation or something else (but no commitment or indication what this could be) He has promised to call me back today...which i am still waiting

I have just recieved a call from the service manager asking me about the lights i fitted and the wires under the gear stick/ centre consol (he seen all the extra equipment last week when it was in, which included rear led's, headrest dvd's, gvif and rear camera and Hid bulbs and led sidelight bulbs, however these were all removed when i got the car back last thursday, so these were not the cause and the wires were only a live and neutral picked up from the rear 12v socket, the only thing left in now is the parrot kit) i think they were looking for a get out or to blame something i'd done. He said the fault is showing as a communication fault whch on a canbus system i suppose could be anywhere. They have told me they have replaced the EGR valves as this could be the cause....

Still no response from the sales director or principal
Post #81874219th Jul 2011 4:13 pm
met

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

having just succesfully rejected a £15k car from a small dealer that initially told me to do one ! my advise to you is this and its not for the faint hearted im afraid. Stop using the car immediately! write to them stating clearly that irrespective of everything else you have now rejected the car, having giving them ample opportunity to rectify faults to "your satisfaction" this is key Your satisfaction!
dont F about send the letter gaurenteed post (not recorded signed for) go gaurentteed its hand to hand and no F ing about! get an independent report on the car, another LR main agent or AA etc get in writing that the car isnt safe or could be deemed to be unsafe, get in touch with trading standards and report that the car is not safe they will send road safety officers to your house, they are then bound irrespective of what they find to visit the dealer and generally f*ck with their business! folow up with trading standards, write to them again, avoid talking to them put in writing! then threaten county court action, mine was above £5k so it cost me another £210 to file with MCOL (money claim online) the second the court papers land has a very predictable effect. my advise is drop the nice guy bit and go all out attack, its a little high risk but worked for me cost me around £150 for an independent examination and £210 in MCOL but had the desired effect. this is hard earned cash we are talking about right??? time away from your family working to earn it..... mine was justified in that the dealer sold me a total lemon, air suspension failed, autobox, pdc keyless go all failed in a week!!! dont advocate this for all issues as talking and resolving is always best, but there comes a point..... cheers

Post #81889619th Jul 2011 11:08 pm
colin6307

United Kingdom 
faults

Met
Excellent letter, learnt from you, i commend you sir.
Matbe some day i'd like the privilege of buying you a beer
Cheers
Colin

Post #81892320th Jul 2011 7:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >