Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Help, at the end of my tether
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
met

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Dont get me wrong it's not for everyone, but generally us Brits are happy with the sh*t sandwich and the dealers position was what do you expect from a second hand car, your too demanding tough luck.
It take resolve and a detatchment of emotion but I got every penny back in the end, took 3 months so I had to buy a runaround in the meantime so you may take a hit here, I was lucky infact made £100 on the in between car.
Put it in writing, get a report done, speak to trading standards,tell him you are going to sue, use sale of goods civil and go for road traffic act also this is criminal, all this plus letters and trading standards and road safety and a letter through mcol once they are served is generally enough to convince the dealer that this one is best rejected and refunded.
Typically the cars go out to auction I would imagine thereafter.
Not for everyone as I say as I was emotionally drained for the first month or so,had the hump at home and work etc. But if you feel you've been wronged then make a stand. Hope it works out mate

Post #81893120th Jul 2011 7:34 am
Grunders

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Latest update....

The dealership had the car for 5 days, adtr. 3 days they had fitted various components inc new egr valves, however the fault still existed, they then decided to get in touch with LR technical, who diagnosed the fault codes as a faulty high pressure fuel rail and pump... This was then fitted on friday am and road tested and all ok.

I was called by the service team to say the car was ready to pick up,

I went to the dealers on Friday later afternoon to see the dealer principal and the service manager to state my disspointment with the car and i have a right to reject the car, (this was the first i'd heard from them since Monday)

Their response was the car is classed as non standard and the faults 'could' be caused by the 'extras' i have fitted which are non LR parts, this sort of put me on the spot, i explained the parts fitted were only connected to auxillary circuits such as the rear 12v supply, they then questioned me on the reversing camera and other wires that 'were' there. I explained nothing is still connected but is still in place, their response, if Land Rover inspected the car it would be rejected and possibly the warranty cancelled.

They raised a point about the LR rear led lights, i explained these were readily available as d3 upgrades, part numberLR008052 And they promote them on their website, their response was only for the d4, my response why would you upgrade led's already fitted.... I got blank looks.

They then asked how the reverse camera was connected, i explained about a gvif and live pick up from the reversing lights... Again blank looks

I was getting further frustrated and thought i'm not getting anywhere, i decided to take the car and told them i am amazed they don't understand what extras are readily available for the d3......

I have taken the car and when i got home i took everything out and off the vehicle that was not fitted the day i purchased it...

The reason i took the car was i felt i was on to a non winning position due to non standard parts fitted and puts me on the back foot.....

To date i have covered about 100 miles and all seems ok, however i now feel if it does fail again i have a much stronger argument to reject the vehicle which could have been difficult beforehand....

I know some may say i should have fought it out, but when you know youre dealing with a dealership who don't even know what you can buy from them and fit to the car... I thought i cannot give them any ammunition to reject my argument........

I will now see how the car performs and report any updates and events
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #82039525th Jul 2011 2:35 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

If they have fixed the fault then that makes rejection more difficult. However, they shouldn't try to blame other components or accessories and suggest that they might void your warranty unless they can demonstrate that they are connected to or the cause of the issues.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #82040025th Jul 2011 2:51 pm
dimet

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Grunders,
Mine had the same simptoms as yours, and a new battery solved they all Whistle
The engine started perfectly, but almost every week I got all the dash lights on.
Just in case...

No more dash lights since then!!!

David

Post #82119928th Jul 2011 7:40 am
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Accessories

Hi
Just to let you know a dealer will take every step possible not to refund your money and put every obstacle in your way, most dealers will blame every accessorie on the car for causing problems other than there being a fault with their vehicle as accessorie suppliers we encounter this all the time.

If you have a dealer that is blaming your aftermarket item on causing a problem just remind them that in a court of law it is upto them to prove that the item is causing the problem not for you to prove other wise, it may also be worth mentioning that you will go to the accessories manufacturers or supplier and have then inspect the accessorie that it has been fitted correctly and has been tested to be compatble with that vehicle.

I know that if we supply an accessories and we have a problem and the above should happen then most of our suppliers will send someone to look at the installation and determine whether there is a problem so you get an independant review.
As a general rule you allways offer to disconnect the added accessorie in front of them and watch their faces as it makes no difference and the fault is still there.

You could also also make a reference as to something like I am having problems with my car not starting because Ive fitted a non LR bulb would that cause it to not start of course it wouldnt as the lighting circuit isnt connected in any way to the starter circuit.

I often find it very amusing when I do independant reviews for dealers and private clients and to see the offending party eating humble pie
I hope the above helps and gives you some ammo
cheers

Post #82126928th Jul 2011 1:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grunders

Thanks or all the responses...

I have had the car back a week now and upto now no issues, i have not had a proper long drive which is something i will be doing this weekend....i might be tempting fate but Abersoch is th destination. i feel since the dealer referred the faults to Land Rover tech and thry properly diagnosed the fault it may be ok... I,ll just have to wait but still expecting it to fail..... However if it does i feel more confident in rejecting as i have no accesories fitted and the car is back to standard.....

Besides the faults its a great car...

New bits fitted in the last 4 weeks under warranty

Height sensors.........to recitfy the fault which turned out to be the HPFP
HPFP
High Pressure fuel Rail
EGR valves, which agsin was the HPF
New steering, which i had to refit as it wasn't straight
New rear diff...i reported a low whine/drone, noise still there but not got any worse
Brake Light Switch
All wheels balanced to rectify wheel judder

For some reason the dealership don't inspire me with confidence
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #82127728th Jul 2011 1:43 pm
Dave T

England 

Make sure you keep us fully informed, and the best of luck. Thumbs Up
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Last edited by Dave T on 20th Aug 2011 12:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #82129628th Jul 2011 3:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grunders

Guess what........... Its done it again, on the way home from Abersoch, on a straight road, slight jolt in the car then the dash lights up, lowered suspension, limp mode etc..

Rung LRA, they said they would send a tech out, my response was there is no point and i need the car recovering, local recovery co picked the car up within the hour.... 3 hours later dropped off at home... 1 hour later courtesy car dropped... I am now on first name terms with Enterprise, the guy even remembered where i live to drop the courtesy car off....

It should be fun tomorrow with the dealer... This time no accessories fitted not even a phone kit.... no excuse for them to blame me or the things i've fitted so feeling in a better position to reject now.......

This is the now the fifth time in 2 1/2 months....

One thing i have noticed is last time they fitted new egr valves, but after the discussion with LR tech they removed these and fitted the HPFP and ancillaries, i have noticed a lot of soot deposits on the connection of the egr valbes and steel braided hoses... Poor workmanship.....

Lets see what tomorrow brings and i'll keep you posted....

Any solicitors on here willing to offer advice and represent me?
Post #82199531st Jul 2011 7:43 pm
Dave T

England 

Phone consumer direct first thing in the morning, they will give good advice for free along with templates for letters.

Have a look here, there is a section on car buying and your rights

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentciti.../index.htm

Good luck Thumbs Up
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #82199731st Jul 2011 7:50 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Accessories

Sounds like you could start here.....

MikeS2005 wrote:
I often find it very amusing when I do independant reviews for dealers and private clients and to see the offending party eating humble pie
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #82200031st Jul 2011 7:55 pm
GSLRO

England 

Grunders any progress, hope they are now playing ball or at least on the pitch taking to you!
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #8225592nd Aug 2011 9:20 pm
mzplcg

England 

Grunders wrote:
Any solicitors on here willing to offer advice and represent me?

I'm not, but I can put you in touch with a rather good one if you want. Based in Nottingham though so not sure if that's a lot of good to you. Let me know if you want his details.

Dom.

Post #8225632nd Aug 2011 9:34 pm
AndyM406

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Fair play Met, I had a run of faults, starting with the auto box not coming out of park, local LR Dealer charged £102 to change a lightbulb and said that it's 'often the way' when a bulb goes....(my a***).

A few days later I discovered that me and 2 other bods had the same issue on the same day with D3's in the same dealer!! - strikes me as more than a bit odd, upshot was, as I'm out of warranty it cost £425 for a new ECU for the gearbox, never seen the issue since - fingers firmly crossed!!

Seam like I ought to have taken it further with LR!!

Post #8230644th Aug 2011 5:20 pm
Grunders

At present the car is still at the dealers... They've agreed the components i've fitted woudn't cause the issues, however they are still keen to get to the bottom of the fault.....as they said, "they need to sell the car without the faults",

One thing that has come to light is the dealers use this forum to great extent to fact find and look for ways to resolve issues... As they said there is some great info on here that even the LR bods are sometimes not aware of....

I have told them my feelings and i am rejecting the car, they are looking at options of a replacement car, the head of sales is in discussion with the director. I am trying to keep things on a amicable basis as they have been fair with me, however the outcome will be the real test......

I have written a letter with all the facts, dates, times and my position on formaly rejecting the car... This is ready to post but i am hoping the dealer will come through before i need to go down the legal route.....
Post #8230854th Aug 2011 6:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >