Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

high mileage purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
thinkingofbuying

high mileage purchase

Hi,

I am considering purchasing as D3 HSE and wondered if buying a high mileage one is likely to become the bane of my life. The models i have seen are 55-06 125-130K. I would only buy one if it has been services regularly and after an inspection by a professional.

I appreciate that due to the high mileage things will need replacing sooner rather than later.... wear and tear etc. But as I will not be able to have an extended warranty I dont want major things going wrong with it.

I have read of people have driven D3's with mileage up 160-200K without any major issues. That will be perfect as I will be doing no more than 10K per year in it anyway.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Post #79832619th May 2011 10:49 am
hughes_jh

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Personally, I'd rather buy a high mileage/high spec car for the same money as a low mileage/low spec car.

+105k miles should be your tipping point as thats when they have the major service

Post #79834519th May 2011 11:34 am
BournevilleBazza

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Mine is just coming up to 110,000 over 5 years and feels like a new car. She had the BIG service done in my car park at work by TFC which softened the blow a bit and I have no intention of changing her for another year at least. First time i've EVER kept hold of a car this long and she still makes me smile.
 If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!
2010 Discovery TDV6 HSE with a few bits and bobs on.
1986 V8 90 County
2012 Evoque TD4 (for the Mrs) and really VERY pleased!
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #79846419th May 2011 4:43 pm
thinkingofbuying

Okay, two view points which have been positive... I would be paying for an inspection so anything that hadn't been done would hopefully be picked up.
Still with the amount of people on this forum I would like to read further thoughts and views before I finally decide Very Happy

Post #79913322nd May 2011 11:12 am
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

To be honest, modern large engine vehicles are not much more than run in at 100k.

The important thing is how was it looked after. This can apply as much to a vehicle with 10k as 100k.

My 06 has 86k and still runs as if it is new. A few things will need replacing, but no big surprises.

Best regards

Chris

Post #79920222nd May 2011 4:35 pm
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
buying d3

bought my current d3(2008 gs auto)with 60k on clock,owned by co director with mostly motorway miles,full supplying dealer history plus had a years man warranty left(runs out end july Big Cry it had a load of oem mods fitted plus some others i wanted i did myself as i could afford them,( thanks to guys on site for help and advice Whistle )i wanted as late a model as poss ,so the upgrade model was the one that stood out for the money,well pleased.
cheers and good luck,keep us posted.
sandy Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #79946223rd May 2011 4:20 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Ditto bought a 08 hse , 58,000 k so you would consider that high mileage , mostly motorway miles.
Has all the bits and more , roof bars , fixed tow bar , I tow now and again , toppers Etc , and was pleased a few hedge rashes , needed a service , but good buy all round , and years warranty ends July , so don't discount them , high milers , Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #79946623rd May 2011 4:32 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

C6REW wrote:
To be honest, modern large engine vehicles are not much more than run in at 100k.

The important thing is how was it looked after. This can apply as much to a vehicle with 10k as 100k.

Could not agree more, I recently bought my D3, I was looking at very simular cars to you, but stumbled across a loaded S model with all the toys that i wanted and more Razz

Only 63k on the clock for the same sort of money as a high mileage HSE, the only things missing are bluetooth phone and leather, I have a bury kit and leather wasn't on my list of wants, so very pleased.

I have since had window tints done (last Friday) and added side steps a must for the kids Thumbs Up

I believe regarding mileage that Character (memeber) has a D3 with over 400k on it Shocked

Regarding lower spec models, up until I think 2007 models maybe 2008 (an expert will be along shortly to correct), the full wiring loom went into all models, this makes adding the bits you didn't get but want far eaiser, so do not discount a lower spec one you can always enhance it

Whatever you get you'll enjoy it, just buy one with a full & regular service history, and some shares in Shell and BP too Wink
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #79948023rd May 2011 4:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

D3's with high mileage are no big deal, mine has 135k and is a 2006 vintage Thumbs Up

There are several with wel in excess of 200k kicking around, and as one post points out one with over 400k, this all proves that the TDV6 (lion) engine, which by the way is made by Ford at the Dagenham engine plant, and is shared amoung several vehicles (Peugeot, Citreon are just a few)

But . . . as with all modern engines, 'if you abuse it, you'll loose it'
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #79966823rd May 2011 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

United Kingdom 

I personally went for better condition, lower mileage, newer model last time as I wanted it to be a keeper, the minus to that being it was lower spec.

As time has gone on I stand by the original mantra, with the exception of having the means to buy a D4 so its a natural progression rather than a "not satisfied"

Horses for courses mind, there are plenty about and they can take the mileage as proven, you would want to know that the servicing was just so and that the bushes were reasonably fresh I suppose.

Good luck Thumbs Up You could get inspected by any number of people or companies to be more confident, I personally recommend 10forcash.
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #79968823rd May 2011 11:01 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

[quote="beanie"]
C6REW wrote:

I believe regarding mileage that Character (memeber) has a D3 with over 400k on it Shocked

Wink

408k...... Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #79969323rd May 2011 11:10 pm
Jumble

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Well, Ive run a D3 '05 from new for 100k miles. Just traded it for a new D4 last week.

The trigger to sell was the increasing regularity of bills as some of the components were reaching the end of their life - suspension bushes, exhaust gate valves etc. Plus juddery acceleration under load that the dealer had failed to diagnose and was threatening en expensive gearbox flush. Plus it was starting to feel a bit clunky, and the steering rack was due some expensive attention. The interior and exterior were also starting to look tired.

The engine felt fresh though, there was no corrosion, or any structural fault and I have no doubt that it will go on to do another 100k.

I bought it for £31k and sold it 6 years later for £11k, So to my mind that was £20k plus running costs well spent.

The new D4 though feels a little tighter, unavoided potholes dont cause a thunk, interior is nicer, acceleration is far better, and MPG is lower. I havent got to worry about tax for a year (but then it jumps from £245 to £400), no MOT, and manageable service costs. Plus its shiny. Wink

Post #80048926th May 2011 10:07 am
thinkingofbuying

Thankyou for all the thoughts. Away for a few weeks then will make the purchase and let you all know what I went for!

Post #80061326th May 2011 3:37 pm
thinkingofbuying

Ok, I'm back now and ready to buy. My only change is my budget.... other expensive priorities have come up. So I am now looking to spend around 10500 for a D3. I have been convinced that I will be ok with a high mileage so just looking for a reasonable spec. Cruise control and Auto are a must along with 7 seats, anything else such as leather and sunroofs are a bonus.

Due to post level I am unable to post in the wanted section so if anyone sees anything or knows anyone let me know. I have two to see on Thursday and will be travelling between Oxford, Derby and North Wales on Thursday if anyone selling is in those areas.

I will let all know what I end up with hopefully by the end of the week.

Post #80908121st Jun 2011 12:16 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Just remember that you will have expensive costs associated with running one of these so if you're pushing it at £10,500 and that leaves you with little in reserve for repairs/tyres etc, it may be worth holding off a little longer?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #80908921st Jun 2011 12:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >