Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Towing with the detachable Towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Probably just key problems.

The link below is to my Gallery section related primarily to hooking up the hitch electrical for NAS spec LR3's but I do show a bit of hitch related material. In particular the Curt fixed model with instructions that just bolts on, but also the different styles of removable hitch.

From what I understand, there have been a couple of variations to the original longer one; the changes seemed to be key related, red/orange key being the "good" ones now. I assumed it had something to do with the locking pin that slides up and locks, (or not), into whatever that holds the big part. As has been said in previous posts, that as long as the pin has locked up into the bumper, all will be good.

Probably if you use the trailer hitch all the time, and clearance does not matter, then the fixed one is better as it is cheaper and once on, it is there. For the occasional user, removable looks better when not there, and clearance of course is better when removed.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4497
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79546811th May 2011 5:51 pm
dasdais

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just fitted body styling kit so had to removed Fixed multi height for a detachable. Tow a wessex box with 2 16.2 horses on board if any thing I think my car tows better now??

Post #79550711th May 2011 7:52 pm
Mark B

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mark B wrote:
We had no problems towing our horse trailer with the detachable bar.

However, we did find that it didn't sit at quite the right height and it did affect stability slightly. Have now changed to a fixed bar and it feels very stable now.

Ours is an Ifor Williams. From what I've read in other threads, other Ifor Williams users have noticed an improvement when towing with the fixed multi-height as opposed to the detachable bar.

Post #79562211th May 2011 11:02 pm
domlandy1

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well I've been towing with my detachable today(14ft ifor with sides with rather alot of weight on Thumbs Up ) and noticed that I've got slop in mine mmm Sad

Post #79593112th May 2011 8:52 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

domlandy1 wrote:
Well I've been towing with my detachable today(14ft ifor with sides with rather alot of weight on Thumbs Up ) and noticed that I've got slop in mine mmm Sad

You need a little bit of movement )slop) otherwise you would never get it out if there was a perfect 'friction' fit. This is accentuated by the distance of the tow ball from the socket and makes it feel worse than it is.

Post #79604813th May 2011 10:21 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Regularly tow a car / car trailer on a removable tow bar w/o probs.
 Andrew  
Post #79620613th May 2011 5:39 pm
disco rob

England 

Does anything work as its supposed to on these Censored D3's, roll on September
 VW Touareg 3.0 Altitude
Mondeo 04 Reg (Hers)
Swift Conqueror 645 Lux 

Post #79639214th May 2011 1:10 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

yep, everything works as its supposed to on mine Thumbs Up

Roll on July 2014 when I have paid for the D4 and can buy a D?
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #79639414th May 2011 1:43 pm
discostum

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
towbar loose but seized.

Came to tow a trailer today, as I do regularly. The detachable towbar was very loose in the socket. Unlocked with the key and pulled handle out, but unable to turn to release hitch. Have tried everythin, even destroying the locking mechanism, and removing the shaft all together. Inner mechanism is still stuck solid after copious ammounts of penetrating oil applied, yet towbar is still very loose. Any ideas on how to remove?

Post #80854519th Jun 2011 9:58 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Maybe just penetrating oil and time?

I just posted the jpg as it shows the pin sticking out and that is your problem.

I looked at my hitch receiver to see if one could by removing the spare tyre, get access to the rear of the pin and perhaps beable to pound it back. It does not seem possible - there is no hole in the front side of the receiver on my 2005 LR3 that lines up with the pin such that one could pound back. That is probably also the case with yours but you could look.

Other than that idea, about all I can think of is more penetrating oil and time. Maybe a sort of screwdriver with a hook on the end could be inserted into where the key was, (you said that is gone now), and with luck, drag the pin back as that is what turning the key thing is supposed to do. Failing that, heat and pounding.

Click image to enlarge
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #80856919th Jun 2011 10:50 pm
fast1cars

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Ill be honest, I have seen it a few times now... For whatever reason, the towbar moves very slightly inside the hole it fits in, and over time wears away the towbar itself and the hole...

If you are doing a lot of 'heavy' towing, then personally, I would have a multi-height bar, as the extra bracing bars prevent any movement at all...

hi I am in the process of fitting the heavy duty version but I cant get the bolts out of the chassis were the bracing fits-any ideas.

cheers
john
 cheers John

Classic rangerover 3.5 V8 -sold now
Classic rangerover -6.2 gmc deisel sold now
Classic rangerover 3.9v8 sold now
P38 4.0 v8 sold now
Disco 1 3.9v8 sold now
Discovery 2 TD5 just sold
sierra cosworth with 498BHP fastest car I have ever owned-now sold
megabusa currently lots of fun
current Disco 3- broken at the moment