Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Towing with the detachable Towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
det towbar

alex,never had any probs towing heavy twin axles etc,it is ok up to 3500kg according to the blurb,it seems as if a couple of people have had an issue out of the thousands who have not,was there a fault in the way they hitched up, or did not have the towbar correctly in its locater.
dangerous is the little suzuki jeep thing i saw near rye this week pulling a double horsebox(only one horse but way over the top)must have been half a tonne heavier than the car Shocked
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #79493010th May 2011 10:29 am
hughes_jh

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just in case you were wondering why would LR bother with a fixed one if the detachable is fully spec'ced for 3500kg....

The fixed one allows for height adjustment whereas the detachable one has no method of adjustment.

I'm not entirely convinced there would any issue with the detachable one as I think I'm right in saying that the fixed one mounts in exactly the same way with the addition of a couple of stabiliser bars. Someone may verify this?

Post #79493210th May 2011 10:38 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

yes that is right but the stabilizer bars are pretty heavy duty, and fitted to the chassis with something like M16 bolts. It stops any visible movement in the towbar compared to the detachable one, but whether the same can be said while towing is a different matter.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #79496310th May 2011 12:13 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Yep you’re correct the fixed tow bar plugs in the same way as the detachable tow bar, with the addition of two stabiliser bars back to the chassis. However, I feel these bars are key to the increased strength of the set up, as the pull on the ball is transmitted both to the socket the tow bar is mounted in & also back to the chassis.

Whereas with the detachable tow bar, all the pull is transmitted up to the socket, with quite a levering action at play.

As far as reporting the issues with the detachable tow bar, I know that in the case I wrote about above, he went to the dealer about the issue & got no hop whatsoever, other than to be told that the tow bar is certified as per the rating, blah, blah, blah. I must find out if he took it any further.

Personally I'm not at all happy or comfortable with the detachable tow bar set up, for anything other than a bike carrier or some light occasional towing. For towing a boat or larger trailer, I have the fixed tow bar on the D3, I’m certainly not going to rely solely on the upper mounting socket.

The experience of the guy with the RRS only served to copperfasten my opinion.

Better safe than sorry Thumbs Up

Post #79496410th May 2011 12:14 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Group buy, fixed towbar.........? Whistle

The worm can is now fully open. Sorry Embarassed

Post #79496610th May 2011 12:18 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Perhaps these "faulty" tow balls were actually unlocked with keys still in or snapped off, but still held in position with rust.

I know i have had to give the top of mine a blow with the hammer to remove it once unlocked and after it has been fitted for a length of time.

Post #79496810th May 2011 12:28 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

The fixed tow bar is multihieght and as such can have a lot more load applied lower down, hence the stabiliser bars to stop the load/levarage effect. The removable one is designed to take the 3500kg as previouly mentioned. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #79497310th May 2011 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hughes_jh

BBDisco3 wrote:
Perhaps these "faulty" tow balls were actually unlocked with keys still in or snapped off, but still held in position with rust.

+1 on this thought

I'm just thinking that the detatchable tow bar looks every bit as meaty as the sort of think you would find on a pick up hitch on a tractor which happily lugs around more than 10 tons without any concern. I know the concern here isn't about the inherent strength of the tow bar as much as how its held in place, but 3500kg isn't a huge concern in my opinion

Post #79497510th May 2011 12:47 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

While the tow hook is undoubtedly a meaty piece of iron, I just always felt that you’re putting an awful lot of faith in the little locking pin. A bit like a solid oak door is only as good as the frame it’s hung on.

That said, there are absolutly loads of people towing quite successfully with the removable tow bar. It’s just that I never liked the idea of it.

Post #79497810th May 2011 12:51 pm
hughes_jh

I understand your concern zebadee. I look at it a little differently.... the locking pin is holding the tow hook in place but as long as it does its job, the tow hook directly transfers all the load into the subframe on the car.

Lots of other good examples around where seemingly weedy components are used to great effect. Just look at the trailer you're coupling to the car. Whilst the main body of the hitch is faily chunky, the handle/locking mechanism doesn't look too beefy. But its job is to keep everything connected so the sturdy bits carry the load Thumbs Up

Post #79501110th May 2011 2:07 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I am keen to see photographs of any removable tow hitch that has failed in action.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #79501610th May 2011 2:18 pm
megla

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yesterday i went to fit a THULE detachable tow ball to my disco 3. upon closer inspection it would not fit snugly.
the locking bolt only shot out half way into the lock area. dodgy to say the least and the little lock key would not
come out. To overcome this i power filed some high spots off the top of the ball casting. Now fits snug and the
latch shoots fully out. This sort of situation may have contributed to some members detatchments.
and the moral of the storey make sure you get the full length in. Rolling with laughter Laughing

Post #79532111th May 2011 10:00 am
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
getting the full length in !!!

amazing how the most innocent of conversations can get "smutty" Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle
Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #79532811th May 2011 10:16 am
Mark B

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

We had no problems towing our horse trailer with the detachable bar.

However, we did find that it didn't sit at quite the right height and it did affect stability slightly. Have now changed to a fixed bar and it feels very stable now.

Post #79542211th May 2011 3:45 pm
Splitpin

I read of some folks have had slight movement in the removable bar.

I needed a hitch pin and ball fitting so had to go with the fixed type.

this video shows a few shots of the fitting socket, but its not the LR item.

Post #79543711th May 2011 4:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >