Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Suspension Error (Help Please)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What other codes are you getting?

If it keeps loosing comms with the VDM, have you checked to see what codes are stored there? The suspension fault could be a cascade fault
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #90794611th Mar 2012 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crocher

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am getting mostly lost communication fault codes. Then all of the ECU's have a knock on effect from that and then looses communication and then reflet all of the fault codes.
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE
BFG All Terrains
SERIOUSLY upgraded the interior boot lighting
Double flush done 

Post #90804411th Mar 2012 7:49 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

But normally, a comms error happens when there is a P**** or C**** code when a genuine fault occurs.

Are there any of these stored in any other modules?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #90810711th Mar 2012 9:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crocher

Under the following headings I get the following codes

ABS C1A93
Air Suspension U0416
Auto Gearbox U0155
Instrument Pack U0155, U0132, U0184, B1A87
Rear Diff U0122
Terrain Response U0416
Transfer Box U0122

I dont get any P codes, I actually dont think there is anything mechanically faulty a the works fine and then all of these faults occur and then when I wait a while and then restarts and drive a while, the faults are back.

It only happens when there is heat, so I am thinking that there is some connectors expanding and then does not make contact, but once cooled down for a while it makes contact again.
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE
BFG All Terrains
Double flush done 

Post #90811511th Mar 2012 9:48 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

HI Craig

I have an intermittent suspension error too. Will post the codes I get once I get to the PC with Faultmate on it, but they were mostly "U" codes as well, indicating a comms problem.
I sent Colin a PM asking for help, but perhaps it would be best to post on the open forum, so everyone can benefit:

Here is the gist of what I sent him:

"Whilst trying to trace a bunch of comms errors relating to the vehicle dynamics ECU, I decided to check the 3 connectors under the nearside front wheel arch, and found the centre (grey) connector had a damaged seal, probably damaged during assembly, or perhaps I damaged it somehow.

Seeing as you have had the entire loom out of the vehicle, could you please advise whether it would be possible to replace this portion of the loom fairly easily, ie without stripping the entire car? As far as I could see at 01:00 this morning, the wires from this connector go under the battery, and perhaps to either one of the othe connectors behind or adjacent to the battery.
Any chance you can confirm this before I start unwrapping the loom only to find it splits out to all over the place?

Alternatively, do you know if it's possible to just unplug each pin in the connector and replace with a donor part from the breakers yard, as I have done with the amplifier connectors? looks like its too well sealed to back the pins out and then replace without breaking the seal, but I haven't tried yet.

My third alternative would be to try replace just the little orange seal from a donor part, but this looks doomed to failure.

Your advice very much appreciated.

During my search, I opened up the transmission ECU behind the battery and found corrosion on the centre connector, which I then cleaned out as well as I could. Perhaps this was the source of the comms errors with the vehicle dynamics ECU ? Time will tell I guess."

Craig have you checked the transmission ecu behind the battery? You may find some corrosion there. Not sure of this was the cause, plus my error only comes every 300km or so after continuous driving. I think we may have a similar cause.

Let me know how it goes, and if I learn anything I will be sure to pass it on via this thread

Post #94666525th Jun 2012 12:00 pm
Baben

well, 5000km later I am still getting this "suspension fault" error every 100km or so, and the Uxxxx fault codes, no other symptoms though, so everything else works whilst the error is present. So cleaning out the corrosion on the transmission ECU didn't help. I am gonna open up the ECU once I get the vehicle back from the detailing guys to see if there is any corrosion inside the ECU. Checked the suspension ECU and wiring and all seems fine, checked the ABS (vehicle dynamics) ECU and all fine, compressor is new, no leaks and fills nice and quick
so I am out of ideas, will just have to check each and every connector on the vehicle Sad

Post #95550816th Jul 2012 10:25 pm
crocher

Hi Anthony

Sorry for the late reply. It seems like we have the same problem here. I had to go and check every connector. It was a pain though.

I think it is the connector on the transfer case for the low range motor.
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE
BFG All Terrains
Double flush done 

Post #95828324th Jul 2012 6:09 am
Baben

Thanks Craig, will put that one on the list to check Thumbs Up

Post #95829324th Jul 2012 7:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to: