Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery box lid does not close properly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Battery box lid does not close properly

When my D3 was at the dealer, I noticed that the lids of the two big black boxes in the engine compartment (one contains the battery, the other the alarm sounder/tilt sensor amongst others) do not close properly. When I asked about it the mechanic told me that it did not matter at all. Shocked
Are those lids there only for cosmetic reasons, or are they supposed to keep water and dust from the components contained?
This weekend I will be taking my D3 off-road for the first time on an off-road course (looking forward to that Mr. Green ), so I want to be sure that I do not get water and dirt/dust in the wrong places...

Any other tips/hints before I take it off-road?
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #833537th Sep 2006 10:18 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've never seen one that does close properly... Rolling Eyes
aside from a bit of dust, i've never had any ingress into the boxes - believe me, i've had a good try at getting stuff in there Wink

WRT driving offroad, let the electronics do the work, if you lose traction, tell it you want to move by giving it a little more throttle, this provokes the TC into action, you might also want to turn off the DSC....
Depending where you're going, you might want to give it a good coat of wax to protect the paintwork from scratches

most importantly, have fun!! Very Happy 8)

Post #833567th Sep 2006 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

Thanks!

I will try to take some pictures, and will let you know how it went...
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #833587th Sep 2006 10:28 am
lookatmema

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Eagle eyes there then Wink

Mine is the same - alarm box and battery box both poor fit. I managed to fix the alarm box with a bit of fiddling, but the battery cover is simply the wrong fit. I think the battery retaining strip is the problem, but how important it is likely to be when off road I can't say.

If you're really worried, a length of duck tape is the answer to cure it temporarily. At least it's cheap and simple to do each time you venture off road Very Happy

Yes I know, why should you need to use some tape. The answer is of course you shouldn't have to, but the alternative is to get into lengthy comms with LR for a fix. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
 If you wait for it to go wrong - it's bound to oblige  
Post #833677th Sep 2006 10:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

The covers have never fitted completely!

Have you ever noticed the black insulating tape over your fuse box to keep it closed? Go on, have a look and you'll be amazed :-0)

Post #834027th Sep 2006 11:39 am
SN

My alarm box (same size as battery on other side? big space in it) is also cr*p - I have attempted to make the lid fit better but resisted trying too hard when I saw that one of the front clips would completely be blocked by something (can't recall what while I'm 200miles from my D3) in front and would therefore be damn near impossible to get open again Rolling Eyes
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #834037th Sep 2006 11:41 am
Jamo

Australia 

Mine have never fitted properly, but like 10, I've never had any dirt get inside so they must do something good!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #834157th Sep 2006 12:07 pm
catweasel

been out to check mine Very Happy (was just poking around really) and I took them of and they snapped back into place easily, didn't see any black tape either Surprised

Post #835227th Sep 2006 6:05 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mine fits properly but you have to be careful refitting to align the catches. I would think it is important forr them to be sealed from water and dust. mechanic was just fobbing you off. If you never go off road I don't think it would matter.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #836247th Sep 2006 11:45 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Once you fit aftermarket driving lights, winch, UHF aerial they will never close properly again. Shocked

My fuse box had tape over it to hold the lid on until the dealer had to get into it to fix an electrical fault.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #836278th Sep 2006 12:16 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Mine fit (no aftermarket stuff quite yet), but they are a PIA to get back on, which occurs regularly as my air compressor for airing up my tires (when finished off roading), gets power from the battery terminals.

Post #836318th Sep 2006 2:54 am
Beaker

10forcash wrote:

WRT driving offroad, let the electronics do the work, if you lose traction, tell it you want to move by giving it a little more throttle, this provokes the TC into action, you might also want to turn off the DSC....

Thanks TFC, I'll remember that. My D3 has automatic transmission, do I need to drive it in CommandShift mode in most off-road situations, or can the automatic mode cope too..?
Can anyone point me to some info about D3-specific things for off-roading? I.e. how to use all these nifty programs and electronics in the best way (and when to switch them off), like what TFC wrote above.
I did some searching in the forum, but could not find much. Maybe this would make a useful thread in Tips & Tricks?
Or should I take a Land Rover Experience course in a D3? The LRE is quite expensive compared to the 'generic' 4x4 courses, could I expect more value for the price?

10forcash wrote:

most importantly, have fun!! Very Happy 8)

Thanks, I think I will! Very Happy I am really looking forward to make the D3 do some real stuff. But I expect to take it relatively easy, because I am really new to this and the car is not even two weeks old... Shocked