Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Proper use of parking brake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
ducati

BN: I'm going to be driving in the sand in a few weeks... We're heading to the outer banks of North Carolina and I'm planning on driving so far up the beach I can't find any more humans Razz

We definitely have nutty 4x4s here. Lots and lots of Jeeps with big lifts and 37"+ tires. Some Discos like that, too. I met a gentleman last year at a Rover Rallye who had 38's on his Range Rover...

Where I live (Ohio) we mostly have muddy tracks with the occasional rocks. If I could get some proper offroad tires for this LR3 I'd be pretty set; although most of my friends see to fitting lifts/mud tyres/winches/etc to their Discos, around here a stock truck with good tyres will take you very far indeed Very Happy

Colorado is insane. 4x4 mecca. My wife has always wanted to move there...
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #64376th Jul 2005 12:51 pm
BN

England 

Its a great place and I am envious of you guys. We do our best on the island of UK. I fortunately get out of the country into the Sahara and Siberian wastelands for my business, but it is not the same as pure fun.

At least I have a few of the guys going to do a bit of non damaging off roading here on the 7th Aug hopefully. They will be hooked after that and they will be wanting to get some big rubber and high lifts.

Post #64406th Jul 2005 1:46 pm
ducati

Don't be too envious of where I live: just about everything is private property (if it's not in a city, it's a farm) and the 4x4 trails are almost all gone. In the 80s/90s we had all sorts of public land with excellent trails... In particular, a very large rock quarry I spent many a summer day in. Now it's all "developed" and in fact my father lives in a house on that very rock quarry!!

I have to drive hours to get to the good public offroading...

But many states in the US, in particular the Western states (with smaller populations) have a lot of public trails and many thousands of miles of "trails" in undeveloped country. I'm talking myself into moving as we speak Razz
 '05 LR3 HSE

Post #64766th Jul 2005 6:37 pm
BN

England 

I think it is still better than the UK, we are simply too small and restricted. What are the Blue Ridge mountain areas like for trails?

Post #64776th Jul 2005 6:41 pm
ducati

EXCELLENT! I spent a weekend in West Virginia with a bunch of other Rover enthuisasts (these folks http://www.aoadventures.com/ ) We only drove on public "trails" (old roads and "highways" that were never paved) and we could have spent weeks completely off roads in that area.

That's the kind of offroading I really enjoy: some Freelander folks damaged their sills, but the LR3 had *just* enough clearance to avoid damage if I placed it well in the rocky sections. Most of the trails were loamy dirt, with some pretty muddy sections. A few stream crossings. Nothing terribly extreme, yet too extreme for sissy 4wds. Very fun. I've posted afew pics before, but here's another:

'05 LR3 HSE

Post #65647th Jul 2005 12:52 pm
BN

England 

Ducati, only been there once, but loved it. I am still envious.

Post #65667th Jul 2005 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >