Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cam belt tensioner mount broke!!!!......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 45 <123 ... 363738 ... 434445>
development_cycle

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks guys, that sounds ok then.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread but if someone could either reply here or probably best to PM me so as not to muddy the water on this excellent thread, finished reading all 36 pages btw now. Would really appreciate advice on what parts to replace, where to source them and maybe even some advice on the job.

Novice mechanic (well used to take my 1978 Mini Clubman estate apart and put back together regularly in my youth but) only done brake pad and wear sensor replacement on the disco, all other jobs have seemed "bigger" than my ability. Oh forgot I did do the boot lid switch job when it failed too.

Love this site, always come here to research and occasionally ask advice.

Post #163317630th Mar 2016 10:22 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's not a job for the feint hearted. Best to get Disco Mikey do it for you. You'll be surprised how much cheaper than LandRover dealer prices it can be! Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #163318030th Mar 2016 10:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Just to clarify, aux belt is easy if you can get the fan off, but if you're talking about getting the oil pump case changed as well as timing belt, that's the bit that is not for the feint hearted. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #163318230th Mar 2016 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
development_cycle

Bodsy thanks for clarifying.

If I don't need special tools, I have a three day weekend and the loan of a car, with a bit of advice on parts sourcing and any time/effort reducing tricks I'd happily do the job. Where is disco mikey btw? Would be good to know of if local. I'm 50 miles north of Aberdeen.

Post #163318530th Mar 2016 10:35 am
development_cycle

Sorry should have said, no plans to do oil pump casing if not failed but will try to inspect and identify, and if a candidate for future failure will plan for the work to be done by a pro in the very near future for sure.

Post #163318830th Mar 2016 10:37 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DM is based in Dundee but he is mobile. Thumbs Up

As Bodsy says, the aux belt tensioner is very easy as long as the fan doesn't put up a fight - 36mm spanner and fan tool required - a generic fan tool will do the trick unless it's really stuck hard. 3/8 square rachet/bar to release the tension. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #163319230th Mar 2016 10:46 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/auxiliary-drive-1601-c.asp

AF also do the fan spanner set, or on eBay.
Disco Mikey is mobile across Scotland.

You really SHOULD look to get the oil pump case changed as you've just read through the rest of this thread.......
Has the timing belt ever been changed even....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #163319630th Mar 2016 10:53 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
No plans to do oil pump casing if not failed but will try to inspect and identify

Brave man - IMHO you would be well advised to replace the oil pump even if inspection reveals it to be apparently OK at the present.

I changed mine early, it was the updated style & no sign of a problem; but the new pump appears to give quicker pressure on start-up, and I sleep better at night.

Good luck.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #163319830th Mar 2016 10:55 am
development_cycle

NJSS if on inspection I can see that the oil filter housing is indeed the offending part then don't fret it will be on my list to do, but not as part of this DIY job to get the car roadworthy again. Obviously if it is the dodgy one and has any signs of fatigue it will go even higher up my list of jobs, and certainly one where I'll most likely get some help from disco mikey too Very Happy

Post #163328830th Mar 2016 3:32 pm
development_cycle

Bodsy wrote:
http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/auxiliary-drive-1601-c.asp

Has the timing belt ever been changed even....?

To my knowledge Ian no, but I haven't checked the service history and receipts that came with the car, not in my ownership though (two years ish)

Post #163329030th Mar 2016 3:34 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

An 07 car is now 2 years overdue it's timing belts, and is most likely on borrowed time due to the oil pump casing

Unless, it's already had a replacement engine, which is entirely possible. Done a few sets of belts on 07/08's which have had replacement engines

Otherwise, this was a belt removed from an 07 car this afternoon...

My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #163396631st Mar 2016 9:49 pm
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Was that car due on mileage too?
I have just done our 57 plate at 71500 miles and there was no sign of any problems at all.
The pump looked fine as well. I wonder if they had a problem with inconsistent casting. Of course the new pump casing is significantly beefed up.
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #163401231st Mar 2016 11:22 pm
dieselnutjob

United Kingdom 

I have read this thread from beginning to end, but it leaves me with some questions unanswered.

1. The recommendation here seems to be to only fit the newer stronger oil pump to 07 onwards, even though the 05 and 06 ones had the same weaker part. Can the newer stronger one be fitted on an 05 if someone wants to? They might not fail as much for whatever reason but if you are in there doing a belt anyway it seems silly not to fit a better part.

2. Is there any possibility that the tensioner is being overstrained when either loosening or tightening the bolts that hold the cam sprockets onto the camshafts? For example if the tool to keep it still isn't being used or isn't being used properly?

3. Is it even necessary to loosen the camshaft sprocket bolts? If you take the old belt off and put the new one on and the timing rods go in the holes then I don't see any reason to touch them.

Note that I have been looking at the Jaguar S Type manual as posted here http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/top...-diagrams/ because my interest is in the Jags rather than the D3. So apologies if the Landrover proceedure is different.

thanks

Post #16617701st Jun 2016 12:13 am
audiobull

United Kingdom 

deleted

Last edited by audiobull on 3rd Jun 2016 8:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #16617941st Jun 2016 7:04 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well I've been following this thread for a while, and let me say that I had my cam & pump belts changed early at 96000 miles & then thanks to this forum & the knowledge of its members my car had done 133000 miles when I came across members discussing weak oil pump casings, my first thought was why did the dealer not say anything ? So I rang them & they said that they had only had one fail , so I rang customer services and told them of all the failings I had read about & why was they not changing the oil pumps on these models , well they said JLR didn't acknowledge a problem but if I booked it in & had the cam belt changed again they would pay for the oil pump Rolling with laughter so for piece of mind I did & now I am at 152000 miles with the tin hut in the south of France Thumbs Up my advise is don't regret not having it done

Post #16618001st Jun 2016 7:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 37 of 45 <123 ... 363738 ... 434445>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >