Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH- Has yours fired up yet (UK)?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 32 <123 ... 171819 ... 303132>
tdv6tom

Northern Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Has any one used Ian np detail and webasto software, and if so what OBD II connections did you use, picture or schematic they seem different?

Post #7399962nd Jan 2011 7:33 am
Bonowww

Well, having read all this info, I'm sure mine isn't working. For example, the car showed -1 deg this morning, so I lifted the bonnet and started it up - 10 mins later, i could still touch the cold FBH. Very annoying. Sounds like I'm off to LR. The sad thing is I don't have any confidence they will sort it considering I only bought it from them 10 days ago. Oh well, at least it's covered by warranty!
Bono

Post #7401402nd Jan 2011 4:31 pm
chopdogs

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine stopped working just before it got really cold Evil or Very Mad

Got LR Assist out - to look at a spurious Gearbox Fault warning - and after he applied a software patch it fired up.

No faults logged re FBH though........

EDIT - no onger working Censored Will call TH White tomorrow
 14 Disco 4 HSE  
Post #7401992nd Jan 2011 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DeadmanWNC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think mine has just fired up.....

Well there was plenty of smoke comming from the front passenger side.

Stupid question.... What is a FBH? What does it heat? Is it supposed to heat the inside of the car or pre-heat fuel that goes to the engine, ....

I've looked in the owners manual, but can find no mention of a FBH... Help please

Post #7428537th Jan 2011 3:37 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Check the Wiki - linked at the top of the page
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #7428577th Jan 2011 3:40 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi guys,

As I have said in the past was taking advice from your posts on trying to keep my FBH running consistently so was giving it a good run after removing the fuse and making it fire and also adding fuel cleaner to the diesel etc and seemed to be making some headway but just as you think you have it starting on its own it seem to get back to a 50/50 chance which is abit wierd.

The strange bit is that over xmas when i was running relatives around and stop starting the LR I noticed that sometimes the FBH was starting up and sometimes not. I would pick someone up when the fbh had not started up but 10 mins later start the engine again and it would fire without actually having to do the fuse trick that I have been doing on and off for a month now. It seems it does not need to be reset on mine but just to switch off the engine let the car go to sleep then restart the car and it always fires either on the second or if not third time. Still think it may be gunked up but im 2 tanks of fuel and additive down the line now and still giving me hassle! Suppose I dont have to keep lifting the bonnet now though - happy days - nearly.

Got the danhag system on the way so should be able to start it wheneva I want - In Theory - time will tell.

Any further advice would be fully appreciated.

Cheers Ceekay
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #7429877th Jan 2011 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ceekay,

I seem to be in the exact situation as you, with the FBH operating ok or not more or less ramdomly. I manage to get it running clearing out the fault code B1D29 with the Faultmate and it runs for a while, but then it re-appears and the FBH shuts down. Have also tried diesel additive without any great improvement.

I also have the Danhag solution on the way, and hope for better luck (stuck in the Norwegian customs at the moment, a bummer not to be part of the EU Big Cry ).

Best regards, Geir

Post #7430987th Jan 2011 9:45 pm
bigtam64

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
another Fuel burning heater question

Please could some one explain to me exactly how this device is supposed to work?????????

I have heard that it will start on its own when the car is parked up and the external temp drops to
below 5 degrees without the engine running or keys in the ignition is this the case?????????

I understand the situation with it tripping out if you let your fuel level get to low and then you have to remove the fuse to reset the damn thing.

there is also talk of some members with a timer and some device with a sim card and they can PHONE UP !!!!
the heater and switch it on to warm the car up before they get out of bed.how does this work?????????

I would appreciate any help in understanding these points before i flip completely and do myself a mischief
Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down

cheers doug
 Weekends are to short
Egr valves removed 

Post #7431397th Jan 2011 10:29 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Burning_Heater
Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #7431427th Jan 2011 10:32 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Geir
Nothing personal but it is almost reassuring to know someone has the same pain in the a** as i do although looking through the very very many posts re the fbh we are far from being the first or last. I dont have a faultmate (yet) but like i say i dont even have to take the fuse out anymore i just restart the engine and away it pops again. Lets hope our expensive mod works!

Thanks Ceekay
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #7431938th Jan 2011 12:23 am
Steve H

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Just had the diagnostics running on my FBH which hasn't run for 3 or 4 weeks now.
I made up the loom as per Ian np's excellent instructions and at the first attempt managed to blow up my converter. Anyway on the second attempt it worked and I noticed a number of 'no starts' logged and the heater was locked out.
I cleared the fault log and started the heater up through the diagnostics and the W BUS. It ran fine and went through a full cycle from start up through full load to part load and a shut down. All fine with no faults logged.

As the weather turned a bit nasty I packed my laptop away and put the car back together. I thought I'd try it via the CAN BUS without the PC connected. It started to run up but never actually managed to complete the start up. Reconnecting the PC I again checked the fault log and sure enough there was a fault logged. Again it was a no start with a code 02. The glowplug status was 71 Glowing and the voltage 14.1. The only thing I can think might have affected it was the temp of 57 degrees but I thought it wouldn't even try to start if the coolant was too warm. Anyone any idea of what this code 02 associated with a No Start is. The summary of the log is below

Diagnosis report WEBASTO
Thermosystems
08.01.11 15:02:35 Webasto Thermo Test 2002 2.09 page 1 of 1
canbus 110108
Configuration:
--------------
Device name..........................................................................L5 SH
Fuel type...........................................................................Diesel
Circulating pump in control idle period..................................................0
Device identification number.....................................................09005946G
Dataset identification number..................................................09006807L07
Software identification number...................................................000000000
HW version...........................................................................44/04
SW version..............................................................Friday/45/04 11.14
SW version (EEPROM).....................................................Friday/45/04 11.14
Date of manufacture control unit..................................................04.04.08
Date of manufacture heater........................................................15.04.08
Customer identification number....................4A45433530303832300000004E4E573530323733
Serial number...................................................................0812070432
Test signature..........................................................................CA
Minimum voltage threshold...............................................................10 [V]
Maximum voltage threshold...............................................................16 [V]
Delay for supply voltage min. detection.................................................20 [s]
Delay for supply voltage max. detection..................................................6 [s]
Operating data:
---------------
Working hours........................................................................88:27 [h:m]
Operating hours....................................................................1506:34 [h:m]
Start count...........................................................................3742
Burning duration PH 1..33%............................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration PH 34..66%...........................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration PH 67..100%..........................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration PH >100%.............................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration SH 1..33%............................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration SH 34..66%...........................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration SH 67..100%..........................................................0:00 [h:m]
Burning duration SH >100%.............................................................0:00 [h:m]
Working duration PH...................................................................0:37 [h:m]
Working duration SH.................................................................287:54 [h:m]
Start counter PH.........................................................................4
Start counter SH.......................................................................963
Ventilation duration..................................................................0:00 [h:m]
Error:
------
Fault 1...........................................................................No start
State of fault........................................................not actual, stored
Code..................................................................................02
Counter................................................................................1
Temperature...........................................................................57 [°C]
Operating state...............................................................Glowing 71
Voltage.............................................................................14,1 [V]
Operating hour counter...........................................................1506:21 [h:m]

I tried it again via the W BUS afterwards and it worked fine again. I'll just have to wait for another cold start now to see if the CAN BUS will start it.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #7434108th Jan 2011 4:37 pm
Steve H

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
FBH Failed Start Causes

I've been thinking about the possible reasons for the failed starts when under the control of the D3 CANBUS rather than the W BUS.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that events such as the bonnet open or opening one of the doors could affect the start sequence. My FBH starts fine under W BUS control via the diagnostics but is very erratic when controlled by the CANBUS. Today's tests were undertaken with the engine compartment open and resulted in perfect W BUS operation but at least 2 unsuccessful CANBUS starts.
Does anyone have a definitive set of conditions that must be met for the FBH to successfully start up?
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #7436328th Jan 2011 11:10 pm
Rabbit Leader

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Still cold ...

Rabbit Leader wrote:
Well mine never fired up from the day I had it ... I only remembered it had one after reading this forum!

Given it's warranty is out next January, to the dealers I scurried ...

4th attempt at fixing it, LR have finally agreed to fit a new unit! Idea

Well they fitted a new unit last Wednesday ... but its now too Censored warm for me to see if it actually works!

Hopefully it will get colder soon - my warranty is out next week Mad
 Paramedic, Father, Dog lover and Husband ... in no particular order! 

Last edited by Rabbit Leader on 18th Jan 2011 11:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #74742615th Jan 2011 11:29 pm
peterm

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I also got a new unit fitted last week. Apparently the repair kit from LR is out of stock, otherwise thay would have tried that first, they told me. LR is covering the costs, as it broke down just a week out of the 3-year warranty, and they felt sorry for me freezing Smile That was nice of them, as the cost of a new unit here is about £900 + fitting...

/Peter
 Gone and missed : D3 TDV6 SE MY2008  
Post #74752416th Jan 2011 9:31 am
Rabbit Leader

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Still cold ...

Warmth! Very Happy

Finally, after 5 trips to the dealer, the new unit is in and works!!

Below 5 degrees here yesterday and today - fired up both mornings!

Thumbs Up
 Paramedic, Father, Dog lover and Husband ... in no particular order!  
Post #74877518th Jan 2011 4:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 18 of 32 <123 ... 171819 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >