DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

help fitting the 2 kit egr blank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bear100

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
help fitting the 2 kit egr blank

got myself a bit confused Confused
where do i blank off the egr with only 2 blanks?
i have looked at the BAS set which has 4 blanks and looks straight forward.
simonz the knd chap that he is is going to loan me a set of two to get me going again but where do i blank noff by? the egr end or the air-intake end????
your help needed
Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #67370419th Jul 2010 7:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

if you only have 2 blanks, then its Blank off the EGR end, BAS kits involves 4 Blanks as his kit involves removing the pipe from the EGR upto the intake, thus needing another 2 Blanks.

Remember to remove the Butterfly valve too otherwise the D3 won't breathe

Post #67370719th Jul 2010 7:05 pm
bear100

whats the buterfly valve Embarassed
sorry if i sound a bit dull Embarassed

Post #67378519th Jul 2010 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Check out these 2 PDF's ...they will be mucho help for you
Very Happy
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/12136/EGR.pdf

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...s%20D3.pdf
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #67378619th Jul 2010 8:32 pm
pa28pilot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Blanking Plates

There should be four blanking plates as mentioned by Mac and I bought the kit from Bas Autos good quality and come with rubber seals ect.
The butterly valve need to be remove and the pin mechanismn need placing back into place . Check out the PDF file wigg s pointed you out to I replaced mine and took my time doing it 4 hours in total. Be carful you don't drop anyything into the engine otherwise you will knacker your engine if you can't take out whatever you have dropped into in.
Good luck Thumbs Up
 Don't be blinkered vision, see the world in colour.  
Post #67382319th Jul 2010 9:09 pm
bear100

wiggs that's awesome mate, fool proof Mr. Green

i have been given two plates from simonz (top bloke Bow down ) and will try them if problem solved i will invest in a set from BAS
cheers to all i will keep you posted
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #67385719th Jul 2010 9:49 pm
bear100

Censored Censored land rover
all was going well, done the butterfly valve bit fiddly getting the spindle out,
but couldn't finish because the bolts holding the egr pipe were to badly corroded for my liking knowing my luck they would have snapped off
so off to land rover tomorrow to get 2 bolts Evil or Very Mad

Post #67430420th Jul 2010 7:33 pm
al cope

England 

if you've got two, and fitted them, along with the butterfly removal, thats all you need to do. You dont need the "extra" bits at the top, or to remove the pipes. Why do folks keep posting that this is somehow a better job (and I'm NOT saying Pete's kit isnt a good one). Once the pipes are blanked off at one end, thats enough.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #67433220th Jul 2010 8:25 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Before you do the blanks, have you checked that your vehicle can be blanked off with out getting warning lights on the dash? I seem to remember from another thread somewhere on here that from a certain Model Year onwards it causes engine fault lights, but I can't remember if it was 2007 or 2008 onwards - sorry Confused

Post #67433420th Jul 2010 8:29 pm
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

al cope wrote:
if you've got two, and fitted them, along with the butterfly removal, thats all you need to do. You dont need the "extra" bits at the top, or to remove the pipes. Why do folks keep posting that this is somehow a better job (and I'm NOT saying Pete's kit isnt a good one). Once the pipes are blanked off at one end, thats enough.

Al

The 4 blanking plates in the BAS kit are thick 'blanks' - and cover over the outlet hole in the top of the EGR valves where the flexible pipe connects........as well as blanking the holes left in the sides of the butterfly valve body where the flexible pipes bolt onto.

The 2-blank kits have thinner 'blank plates' and you 'sandwich' these between the EGR valve outlet and the flexible pipe - or I suppose you could sandwich them between the flexi pipe and the butterfly valve body thing.
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #67443220th Jul 2010 10:42 pm
Trackman

Scotland 

Vehicles from 2007 cannot be blanked as the ecu checks the operation and will report errors.

Ian.

Post #67445521st Jul 2010 12:06 am
al cope

England 

Jimbo - and............ thats better, how?

the stainless blanks I fitted to my old D3 were 3mm thick, and whilst "sandwiched" did a perfect job. It was also much less obvious to anybody looking in the engine bay that anything had been changed, as all the pipework was still in place.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #67450621st Jul 2010 8:45 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Al,

I'm not saying that one kit is better than the other (although I have the BAS version fitted), what I was trying to say is that if you opt for the BAS kit - because the blanks are thicker than some others, you need to blank both the EGR valve and the butterfly body inlet...........whereas with the thinner 'sandwich' style blanks, as you have quite rightly said, the flexi pipes can all be left in place so the vehicle looks factory.
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #67451421st Jul 2010 9:01 am
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Trackman wrote:
Vehicles from 2007 cannot be blanked as the ecu checks the operation and will report errors.

To be absolutely clear, it's only EUIII engines which can be blanked without getting the warning, light. EUIV cannot, which corresponds to the 2007 year stated above.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #67452921st Jul 2010 9:19 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

methley wrote:
Trackman wrote:

To be absolutely clear, it's only EUIII engines which can be blanked without getting the warning, light. EUIV cannot, which corresponds to the 2007 year stated above.

This confuses me a little, I asked the Techy guy at the dealers about this and he said there should be no reason why the can't be blanked off just like the older ones........ as far as he was concerned there was no difference.

I can ask again, but can anyone tell me what the difference is between EURIII and EURIV?

Apart from the ovious emissions crap, I mean the mechanical/technical differences.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #67454521st Jul 2010 9:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >