Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

HELP broke down on way back from billing grrr!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bear100

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
HELP broke down on way back from billing grrr!

on my way back from billing today the disco decided to break down (ish) i live 3 hours away from billing, 2 hours into the journey we decided to stop at the m5 services just before we got on the m50 to get the kids a MacDonalds and let the wolfhound out for a wee, all was going well until we left the services, i noticed that when i started the disco it took about 1/2 second longer or so to start, then just as we were joining the m50 roundabout there was no response from the throttle for a good 6 seconds or so Question , once the throttle kicked in it was ok until we reached speed then the same would happen we would start to loose speed and and then suddenly we would accelerate Confused , it then gets worse every time we pulled off from a roundabout it would crawl at a ridiculous low speed for 6 seconds or so and then suddenly accelerate not alot of fun with a 24ft caravan on the back and a taffing trucker blasting his horn Censored Evil or Very Mad . on the way up the black rock (big hill) it was pulsing back and fore? we managed to get to our village which is all on a hill and then death!!! as we were climbing the hill we had to give way to a car coming down and because i lost the revs the disco just ground to a halt Censored Censored Big Cry we could not move it was in drive with foot flat to the floor slightly increased revs and no movement, i tried it in low range and because the revs build up quicker in low i managed to get it home Bow down , when in neutral it revs with no faults so have assumed its the gear box?? any thoughts would be appreciated
thanks

Post #67332018th Jul 2010 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

Sounds like EGR valves gone phut. Twisted Evil
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #67332518th Jul 2010 7:23 pm
bear100

is there any way i can check or test the egr?

Post #67333718th Jul 2010 7:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sounds a wee bit severe for an EGR (me non techie), turbo??

Post #67335618th Jul 2010 8:10 pm
andy38

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, this sounds similar to what i have posted asking about earlier but a better description. My thinking is EGR. does anyone know if its was to be blanked off. will this stop the problem? as it looks the cheapest option with the added advantage of improving performance and fuel.
Do you have any warning lights on?

Post #67340118th Jul 2010 10:12 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yep, sounds the same as when my 2nd EGR went. Didn't have any power loss when the o/s was faulty, but when the n/s went as well Big Cry I could have run quicker from pull off Crying or Very sad

As you have a 2007, if it's an earlier one you won't have a warning light and blanking them off will be the cheapest/quickest option.
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #67341818th Jul 2010 10:54 pm
bear100

i hope its the egr Bow down
i had/have no warning lights or or any indication of any fault, it has always been a quick disco untill now, are the egr blanks easy to fit? and where can i get hold of one today i live in merthyr tydfil, sods law i have been at billing all weekend Big Cry
if it is the turbo how much do they cost?

Post #67347219th Jul 2010 8:10 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

EGR blanking is fairly easy, took me a couple of hours to do both mine - get a kit from Pete @ Bell Autos (he was at Billing, so not sure if he's back online yet). The kit comes with full instructions and piccies.

If you are unfortunate enough to have joined CFT, then a recon/replacement unit is I believe, big bucks Crying or Very sad
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #67350319th Jul 2010 9:29 am
bear100

jimbo for the sake of £40 or so i will change them and pray its not the cft club for me Big Cry Big Cry
its only done 32k miles, i dont whant to cahnge a turbo every 32k Crying or Very sad
i have looked at the bas site and the blanks look pretty easy to change

Post #67350819th Jul 2010 9:37 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The other possibility is that the big long intercooler hose has started to collapse/delaminate - no easy way to check these apparently, as the engine needs to be under load (ie being driven) as you look at the hose Rolling Eyes

If you can handle a spanner, then the EGR blanking is easy - just take your time and follow the instructions.

Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #67351419th Jul 2010 9:50 am
bear100

Well it's now back from the stealers and good so far Very Happy they told me it was the mass air flow meter a £90 part, they also told me the fuel filter was to blame!! So all together it cost me £330 Big Cry But isupose it could have been worse
Thumbs Up

Post #67667726th Jul 2010 7:20 pm
pa28pilot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
EGR

Lucky you, I would blank the egr off any way just to make sure for what it's worth, not nice breaking down especially with the family onboard.
I blanked mine off a couple of months ago and the the disco feels alot better to drive power wise bought the plates from Petes autobodies good quality.
Thumbs Up
 Don't be blinkered vision, see the world in colour.  
Post #67670326th Jul 2010 8:01 pm
Annabelle

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

had EGR problems last year, my question is why are they there? I know its "exhaust gas recycling" but they seem to fail so often and many people blank them off with no ill effects, why do LR simply just not put them in? Where does all that "exhaust gas" go?

Post #67697527th Jul 2010 1:14 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases. Thumbs Up

Apparently...
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #67697627th Jul 2010 1:16 pm
drpepper

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

bear100 wrote:
Well it's now back from the stealers and good so far Very Happy they told me it was the mass air flow meter a £90 part, they also told me the fuel filter was to blame!! So all together it cost me £330 Big Cry But isupose it could have been worse
Thumbs Up

The exact 2 things that they changed when mine went through it's period of limp mode under load, seems a theme developing, though mine did get to 50000 before it happened Rolling Eyes
 Errr, ummm, maybe...oh bo**ocks, just do it !

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2008 Zermatt Silver HSE with 20" Shadowchrome Stormers, 100W Spots, Sideboards, chrome pipes, Privacy Glass and D3 sticker
2000 Boxster S
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 

Post #67710627th Jul 2010 7:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >