Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Suspension - Extended Height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Ken

I suggest you read TFC post again he said put the car in Off Road height then Jack the car up fully then the magic will happen.

You could also reverse up a v-steep incline until traction is lost and that also does the trick Wink but please don’t try this at home

Post #7093617th Jul 2006 7:41 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Ken2463 wrote:

You could also reverse up a v-steep incline until traction is lost and that also does the trick Wink but please don’t try this at home

I can vouch for this eh! Ken Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #7094617th Jul 2006 9:45 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Quote:

If he has I hope he remembers to up his liability insurance to over a squillion pounds !! How stable is the vehicle likey to be in off-road height over 40mph on sandy or rutted tracks??

Funnily enough, I've recently tried something like this. When I broke my air compressor mounts the other day, 200km from home, I got a suspension fault light and a message telling me not to exceed 30mph (50kph). Curiously, the car bumped itself up to 'extended' profile whilst we were driving home. Well, although I _tried_ to sit there at 50kph all the way home, I often found myself doing 80 ~ 90kph. The car was _far_ more stable than my lifted Disco S1 - didn't sway, swerve or dive. Personally, I'd have no hesitation driving it at 40mph over rutted roads in 'off-road' profile.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #7099518th Jul 2006 1:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

What speed can you travel up to in extended mode? Is it 40kph or less?

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #7099818th Jul 2006 7:49 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Chris, at the other end of the scale, I was able to drive at 70 kmh on well paved bituminous concrete when I got a suspension fault and couldn't select other than Access Mode.

But whenever I have driven off and approached 40 kmh in either Access or Extended modes since the fault was repaired the Message Centre reminded to either slow down or the height would change. I do or it does.

Gordon must have been able to exceed the limit as mine did. I was able to drive the car (albeit a bit rough) so there must be a 'limp home' mode built in.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #7100018th Jul 2006 8:02 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The reason for the restriction to speed in off road mode is the prevent folks (mostly US) from suing LR when they role it going too fast into a sharp u-turn at 50mph. The same goes for the maximum wading height which is much lower than what can be achieved safely in reality. The remote height adjustment works here (at least here in oz) only with the hazard lights on, because the vehicle is deemed to be moving, incase some idiot presses the button and lowers the vehicle onto someone.
We live in a litigious world obsessed with OH&S and self protection.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7100118th Jul 2006 8:04 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

caverD3 wrote:
We live in a litigious world obsessed with OH&S and self protection.

...the vehicle may well be capable of travelling above the restricted speed in certain conditions. Peeps are always fairly comfortable testing things beyond there threshold..... until something goes wrong ....and then the natural human instinct is to want to blame someone else for the catastrophy.

I think theres one thing tinkering with acceleration and mpg and another thing tinkering with suspension dynamics and overiding a significant safety system. If anyone does develop this then I'm going to study law, become a lawyer and start rubbing my hands together Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7101118th Jul 2006 9:45 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

dickgriff wrote:
If anyone does develop this then I'm going to study law, become a lawyer and start rubbing my hands together Very Happy

And off to school you go .... Very Happy

Matzker supposedly has a system (discussed a while ago on this board) that allows you to lower the vehicle by 23mm from standard at any speed (not just 160km/h +). In addition they allow the full extended mode to be selected up to 100 km/h Shocked

Link to the product

-- Paul

Post #7101318th Jul 2006 10:05 am
Jamo

Australia 

Chris, when I've been in 'extended mode' the warnings and height reductions have been exactly the same as for 'off road' mode. Warning at 40kph and automatically lowered at 50kph.

LeighW mine raises from access height at less than 10kph, so yours must have some kind of software upgrade.

PSC, I didn't understand a word on the link, except for 1535Euros!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7101518th Jul 2006 10:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

copy the text and use Googles language tools to convert from German to English, found to the right on the Google home page Very Happy

Post #7101618th Jul 2006 10:27 am
Jamo

Australia 

Thanks catweasel, but I'm not going to bother. I understood the price and it's not worth it to me!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7101718th Jul 2006 10:31 am
catweasel

totally agree

Post #7101818th Jul 2006 10:32 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Embarassed Sorry should have mentioned that the site was in German.

-- Paul

Post #7102018th Jul 2006 10:34 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

PSC wrote:

And off to school you go .... Very Happy

Yeah.....to learn German first eh Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7102318th Jul 2006 10:42 am
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I wish I and my friend (in an RRS) had manual access to the extended mode a couple of days ago. While traversing a narrow, rutted and rocky climb, there was a section where the front would just clear a large rock, but the rear won't, so we winced and listened to the horrible scraping sound as we slid over. The RRS is barely a month old, so my mate wasn't impressed! Ok, it was only the exhaust pipes and the plastic surround that were moderately damaged, but it was frustrating to know the capability was there but for a bit of sotware in our way.

I figured there was no way to trick the system in such a situation, but if anyone knows better, please tell. And is it true it takes as long as 40seconds to kick in as I read earlier in this thread?

I hope someone comes up with the "crack" to allow manual selection soon...

[edit]"Matzker Handling and Offroad Kit" doesn't seem to offer a simple manual selection of extended mode - rather, modified heights for road and off-road modes, I guess in addition to the standard heights.

If I was Land Rover, I would allow manual selection of extended mode at the push of "up" lever for 5 seconds in conjunction with hazard warning lamps while at off road height, and limit it's use to 20km/h.

Last edited by zetecr on 14th Oct 2006 10:18 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #9388414th Oct 2006 12:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >