Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Jack collapsed and damaged car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Jack collapsed and damaged car

Friends of ours how have a D3 SE and got a puncture very late on Monday night. They jacked the car up with the scissor jack (in the rain!) and when the wheel was off the jack groaned and then collapsed. Luckily he managed to kick the wheel under the car, so the car fell onto this instead of the tarmac. They then called LR Assist, who couldn’t come out and instead called out a local recovery firm. They got the spare wheel on and managed to get home, after a few hours at the road side.
The next morning, the D3 went in to the local dealers, because there is damage to the underfloor, compressor and some plastic trim etc, due to the car falling on the jack and wheel. The local dealer would not give them a courtesy car because they didn’t have any available. LR Assist would not give them a car either as they said it was up to the dealer. LR Assist also called LR customer services to see if they would help, but they rang back and said the same. So they are borrowing a car from a friend at the moment. The car has been in since Tuesday morning and the parts aren’t due in until tomorrow, so it is looking like it will be Saturday until they get it back.
The dealer also didn’t want to do this work under warranty, saying that it was the customers fault for not jacking it up properly or putting the jack in the wrong place. Anyway, after lots of arguments, they have now agreed to do the work under warranty.
I then saw them today and heard this story. Obviously, the jack isn’t up to the job of lifting a 2.7 tonne car. When at Rockingham, Ed was talking about the poor jack design and that LR know about the problem and are coming out with a new jack soon. Does anyone know anything more about this? My friends would be very interested to know if LR know that the jacks are a problem (because of their battles with the dealer) and if anyone else has experienced a jack buckling and collapsing.
 Matt  
Post #7014113th Jul 2006 12:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Obviously I wasn't there so can't comment with any authority... was the jack correctly fitted and on level(ish) ground?
I've had mine replaced because the thread was starting to strip but to be fair, I was using it a lot for changing wheels over which is probably classed as more than normal wear & tear

Having seen scissor jacks fail before, it was usually because of the angle they were placed at - i'm not saying this was the case but certainly worthy of consideration

Post #7014513th Jul 2006 12:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 
Re: Jack collapsed and damaged car

d3matt wrote:
.... My friends would be very interested to know if LR know that the jacks are a problem (because of their battles with the dealer) and if anyone else has experienced a jack buckling and collapsing.

I can't say I experienced bucking, but when I had my LR experience at Eastnor, the winding rod twisted and was rendered useless. The instructor and I had to await a Freelander and trolley jack to continue.
I've told my partner (who uses our D3 the most) to call LR Assistance if she ever gets a puncture when out - it's just not worth her struggling with a poor jack and whilst LRA might be slow to respond, it would save both continuing existence of car and marriage....
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7015113th Jul 2006 1:02 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

LR replacing the jack is not necessarily an admission that the existing one is not up to spec. They may be improving ease of use perhaps but I would suspect that the new one won't be much bigger overall or have a bigger footprint.

Another factor to take into consideration is did the jack structure itself fail or did the vehicle simply fall off the jack.. if it's the latter, then there's no getting away from the painful truth that this is user error.

As hard as it may be to accept, it's raining and you want to change your tyre ....whats your focus ?....I suspect just changing the tyre asap.

User error is easy to achieve, I bought a 3 ton trolley jack which arrived yesterday, planted it onto the jacking point and began to raise. As I did so the front wheels of the jack started to sink into the tarmac and bang...the facing hub moved away from the jacking point. Luckily for me the motor didn't fall off. The problem was obviously that the jack wheels need to move as the jack is raising the vehicle. As TFC would say 'Schoolboy error' Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 13th Jul 2006 2:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7015313th Jul 2006 1:17 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The winding arm on my jack snapped the first time I used it Evil or Very Mad Use my trolley jack now. If I get a puncture on the road, I'll call Assist. I told my dealer about it, and they have still to get me a replacement. Must chase them up.

Post #7016113th Jul 2006 2:04 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I use a trolley jack at home, but LR assist is no good to me on some of the work trips that I do. I changed one wheel on a gravel road with the OEM jack, but made sure that everything was as level and a stable as I could. I didn't fancy 3tn of car coming towards me.

What I found was that the scissor jack was almost at it's greatest extent just to get the wheel off the ground, which was a bit unnerving. I thinsk I'll investigate aftermarket jacks. The trolley jack is too big to take away with me.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7016513th Jul 2006 2:15 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There is a recall for some d3s dont know if it effects your friends, but it was due to incorrectly supplier jacks which could collapse.

recall number ABD015v2

Dear Colleagues,
A number of Discovery 3/LR3 vehicles fitted with coil suspension may have been incorrectly equipped with a scissor jack rather than the required screw/bottle jack. The customer may not be able to lift a laden vehicle with
the jack that has been supplied. An unladen vehicle may become unstable if lifted.

A listing of the affected vehicles can be obtained by contacting the Land Rover Field Actions Department at address removed. Requests should be made by the National Sales Company/Importer only.

Action to be taken:
Land Rover has taken the decision to recall all affected vehicles for the vehicle to be inspected to ensure that the correct jack has been supplied. Where a scissor jack has been supplied, you are requested to replace it
with the required screw/bottle jack. For the workshop instructions, see Appendix 1.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7018913th Jul 2006 4:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That applied to coilers only ....this ones an SE so would have air Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7019013th Jul 2006 4:38 pm
al cope

England 

So the way I read this is that it only affects coil sprung cars. Mine's air sprung, and even changing a wheel on dry level ground, on a dry day with the sissor jack was very un-nerving, as it twisted and buckled as it got towards the top of its travel, and this was correctly located in the chassis. It was the fastest wheel change I've done in ages as I was sure it was going to fall over at any second.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #7019113th Jul 2006 4:39 pm
Ken

Cant beat an air jack in the field. Would never use the standard LR one

Post #7019213th Jul 2006 4:44 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Ken2463 wrote:

How big is it when packed down? Can it be stuffed into one of the back lockers (no aircon)?
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7019413th Jul 2006 4:58 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
That applied to coilers only ....this ones an SE so would have air Wink

Yes I did apreciate that, however as it specifically indicated scissor jacks are not suitable for the D3, and the post was saying it was a scissor jack that failed.........to me indicates a possible course of action given the vehicle shouldnt have scissor jacks by LR's own admimssion.

Confused
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7019513th Jul 2006 5:01 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well if that was the case then we would all have received this recall .....No? Rolling Eyes
Post #7019613th Jul 2006 5:07 pm
Ken

DrLex wrote:
Ken2463 wrote:

How big is it when packed down? Can it be stuffed into one of the back lockers (no aircon)?

Its the size of a tool bag if you search Slimers gallery you will find some photos of it

They are worth every penny

Post #7019713th Jul 2006 5:08 pm
al cope

England 

I've just checked with my dealer, and there are a specified set of chassis numbers with "dodgy" jacks. Mine isnt in this list, so no matter how ungainly the jack looks, unless it fails, warrenty wont replace it. "You can of course buy the bottle jack, Sir" was one of the dealers comments.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #7019813th Jul 2006 5:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >