Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Should I buy a Disco 3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
SN

...and do you know what - with a few (notable) exceptions, D3/D4 drivers are not wankers ... unlike your average Panzer wagon driver Thumbs Up

So get it done and join the clubgang - permagrin is real Thumbs Up nearly four and half years in I stil love driving mine every day I can! Mr. Green
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #66370122nd Jun 2010 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nichop

United Kingdom 

Oh there is a world of difference between an X5 driver and a Disco driver Very Happy Disco drivers are definitely not Censored !

Post #66370522nd Jun 2010 11:23 pm
trigram

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Having test drove Sorentos, Santa Fes, XC90, Legacy Outbacks, C-Crosser and even a Captiva (£18k for a 2010 model!!!), I am in no doubt the D3 was by far the better family car. Yes, I doubt I would ever go off road, but for sheer comfort and space, there is no comparison, even the XC90. My partner was initially very sceptical about getting the D3, but now she raves about it. I was warned by many about potential problems and the reliability of Land Rovers, but then that can occur with any marque. I spent 3 months looking for a good model and finally got a MY56 SE for £19k. We love the fridge to keep baby food and drinks. We can change nappies using the boot space from inside, and can transport 2 sets of grand-parents with ease.

We are planning on taking more european driving holidays, just myself, partner and my gorgeous baby daughter (the d3 meets her approval as its so comfy - the only niggle is that thrown toys and dummies are now harder to retrieve from the cavenous footwells Smile )....

Last edited by trigram on 24th Jun 2010 2:46 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #66375423rd Jun 2010 8:03 am
sjc

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

O.K my take. I'm a car nut, and the thought of having one in the family filled me with horror. On behalf of my wiife we drove every 4x4and big estate out there. The Disco was the last one we drove, having dismissed it earlier just by looking at it. ( On first appraisal seemed spartan inside and boxy outside.) Suddenly driving one ( drive plenty they do vary) in the right spec and colour( we've got Stornaway/Alpaca/ light grain wood) made it all click into place and 2 years later I'm eating massive humble pie and my wife grins like she's just spent the night with Brad Pitt every time she's driving it. I've never known her to be so into a car and I have to say I was 100% wrong, it is THE perfect family car.7 seats for the school run or grandparent days out, massive boot if 3rd row not needed,huge van for skip runs, refined/special enough and limo like for posh nights out and most unlikely of all for a 4x4, simply the best mile muncher of any car I've ever driven period.
It's got to the point that we have a dilemma,keep ours forever or upgrade to the D4?? Nothing else is on the radar for the forseeable future.
To the O.P, take your time in the buying process, they do have quirks like all cars. We've done 27,000 miles on top of the 20 it had already done, and at just under 3 years old we've had nothing major touch wood.There's a chap on here (10forcash) who many o fus have used who I'm sure would do an inspection at reasonable cost, and if you are buying out of warranty it will be money well spent I'm sure.The dealers vary in reputation massively, some good ones on here though.
As a foil for your Lotus (I've got a M400) on the days you're not in the mood to drive it, need more seats etc it will be perfect. Oh, and this forum has been fantastic in advice for me.

Post #66378523rd Jun 2010 9:41 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very Happy Get one we bought ours primarily for camping in Europe , the long drives ,we expect our d3 to be reliable ,I bought an 08 , still got warranty ,we have no qualms re reliability , I expect it to work and that it, it is a fantastic all round vehicle .buy buy buy .
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #66379223rd Jun 2010 10:03 am
nichop

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys for all your replies. I test drove one today and it was excellent. I'm now at 100% and just have my wife to win round. Don't think this will be an issue. Excited Very Happy

Post #66393323rd Jun 2010 5:47 pm
tezzo

United Kingdom 2012 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueLR4

Perhaps your wife should have a quiet word with mine!

We bought our D3 XS on the last day of 2009. Mrs Crab in tears because we were using for 'scappage' the beloved and 100% reliable Diahatsu Fourtrak that she really liked. We'd had it for 8 years!

Anyway, I kind of pushed the deal and we got the Disco despite her reservations.

Now? . . . . . . . . . .

She uses it for work every day!

I'm allowed to drive it at weekends. Sometimes!

She thinks that having the 7 seats to fit-in the grandchildren is wonderful.

She can't stop playing with the on-board toys!

She was the one that insisted that we join-in with the great Kirkstone Pass snow adventure in January - and really enjoyed it! (We wouldn't have done it in the Fourtrak.)

She feels uneasy now about going in any other car because the Disco is so safe.

It's even higher than the Fourtrak so you can see into other people's gardens even more!

She just loves to drive it even though she hated the thought of an automatic.

And my opinion?

Apart from the really rubbish satnav - the vehicle is fantastic! Whatever it costs - it's worth it!

Good luck,

Tezzo
 engine. wheels. seats. glass windows. stuff.  
Post #66412423rd Jun 2010 10:37 pm
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would consider looking at an 07 model on.... All the bugs (less) fix except for HP fuel pump which should have all failed by now

Post #66414123rd Jun 2010 11:03 pm
nichop

United Kingdom 

Ah that's interesting as I have my eye set on an 05 model. Apart from Software updates what hardware changes were made in 07. What is the HP pump thing you mention ?

Post #66418024th Jun 2010 8:55 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If i went for an estate the A6 would be high on my list but during the last week it just would n't have done what the D3 has done. Been down south from scotland visiting friends ... used the car on several times to take friends families out with us .. decided to visit garden nursery and came up north with four or five 3-4 foot roses which just would not have fitted in an A6.

A family member has an A6 when i get in it after driving the D3 I'm struck by how harsh the ride seems. we have a 3.0 Z4 and the D3 is the perfect companion to it.

If i was in the low 20ish budget think i would look at 06/07 SEs I am biased but i think it is a really good spec level.

Book SWMBO into to a land rover experience morning.. after mine went she has told me we are not swapping the disco for anything else.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #66419024th Jun 2010 9:05 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

nichop wrote:
Ah that's interesting as I have my eye set on an 05 model. Apart from Software updates what hardware changes were made in 07. What is the HP pump thing you mention ?

i have an 05 and it's a beauty

"Apart from the really rubbish satnav - the vehicle is fantastic! Whatever it costs - it's worth it! "

it's not rubbish,, it's a land rover, every journey is an adventure,, the satnav just makes sure of it!!
 one wife.......livid  
Post #66419224th Jun 2010 9:08 am
Kango

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Had our first 4x4 (D3) delievered yesterday.

I put the kiddy seats in the back this morning and my girls jumped in the back. We all set off for the journey to school with my wife driving. She was a little worried about the size at first, but when I looked to my right, she had a huge grin on her face as we drove into the car park.

She LOVES it, so do the kids. Job done Thumbs Up Gonna buy a tent now.

I say go for it.

Post #66421724th Jun 2010 11:04 am
nichop

United Kingdom 

I'm going to print this thread out and show my wife Very Happy I'm taking the kids round a short list of cars tomorrow including a Volvo V70, A6, Mondeo (get backache from our current one but I guess the newer one might be better), Honda CRV and Disco3. I'm pretty sure the kids will like the Disco the best but want to give them opportunity to have their say.

Post #66429124th Jun 2010 2:20 pm
Mike C

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Good man - it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. My 2005 D3 is my fourth Disco, everytime we've sold one for one reason or another we've regretted it, the last being a D2 which we sold in haste to buy a Fiat 500 (don't ask) We've now returned to the fold and hunted down the one and sold my Audi A4 avant (great car but not a Landy!) and we're happy as can be - it just does the lot without any fuss.

Very Happy

Post #66453124th Jun 2010 10:13 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

nichop wrote:
I'm going to print this thread out and show my wife Very Happy I'm taking the kids round a short list of cars tomorrow including a Volvo V70, A6, Mondeo (get backache from our current one but I guess the newer one might be better), Honda CRV and Disco3. I'm pretty sure the kids will like the Disco the best but want to give them opportunity to have their say.

Good luck tomorrow, sorry our best laid plans didnt work out Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #66454524th Jun 2010 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >