Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Brakes grabbing and low box hill descent issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
SN

Gareth wrote:
This is not what I am trying to describe.
Sorry Gareth - I hijacked the thread over my different issue - but as we briefly discussed on Saturday, I get the same HDC speed up slow down as you too. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #679354th Jul 2006 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

hello guys..

same problem here as well.
do u know if the s/w update will occure such stall. Confused

cheers

Post #679464th Jul 2006 1:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Simple answer is I don't know, and was planning on getting the update soon to find out. Will let you all know.

Post #679484th Jul 2006 1:25 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

well it hasn't cured the 'dip' on mine.... Sad

Post #679774th Jul 2006 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I had a similar issue when engaging low range then placing the shift into D, carry on in D for a few feet until I can see what was ahead then I would select 1st or 2nd, however on a number of occasions during this ‘wait and see’ period when the car was in Low D the car would appear to slam the brakes on for about 2 seconds. Going to the dealers tomorrow so I will ask.

Post #680354th Jul 2006 7:53 pm
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Mine does it also - a regular(ish) grab of the brakes going down hill in low range. It came up on the Landrover Day here in Melbourne and the LR people said it was normal and part of the TR programming.

Post #6940910th Jul 2006 4:23 am
crasha

United Kingdom 

Are you sure it's the brakes slamming on? rather than the torque converter tipping in? I've had a rather violent grab when descending steep slopes in an Auto with feet off the pedals and in command shift 1 or 2... it seems like the gear box - I've not experiences any HDC problems or stalling - mine is a March 06, not sure what software level it's got...

I did ask the dealer... and they said it was likely to be the transmission... and that I should use HDC... and I said I would ask in detail on the LRE day.

Post #6942510th Jul 2006 8:27 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In mine it's the torque converter lockup engaging. If you drop below a certain speed in the gear you're in, it will unlock and the vehicle will speed up again and the torque converter will then lockup again causing the jerking. Enhancement program made no difference to mine.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #6953210th Jul 2006 5:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep thats it bkhoe. Good description.

Post #6954710th Jul 2006 8:20 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I personally have not gotten a knack for using HDC. On areas where I am wanting that degree of help, I want to be going MUCH slower than HDC wants to go.

However, I am wondering Gareth, are you disabling DSC? You should definately disable DSC when off roading in my opinion. It is possible that the HDC, DSC and Terrian Control transmission settings are conspiring against you. It would be interesting to see you can test the downhill lurching action with and without DSC engaged.

Regards,

NW

Post #6954910th Jul 2006 8:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Good point, no I did not switch it off. I have only ever switched it off when I know I need power and momentum, i.e UP hills with a slippery surface. Never thought it would affect down hill.

I will give it a try next time I go out in the hills.

Post #6955110th Jul 2006 8:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

This could be the root of it Gareth ...I always thought DSC should be off on the serious stuff which is why I'm a bit bemused by all the above comments. Other than what I anticipate the motor to do there are no suprises for me with HDC.

Just to remind you:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7439433090023886840
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6955210th Jul 2006 9:01 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I wouldnt have had DSC off either. It's not a situation where there would be any wheelslip.

I forgot to mention that I usually switch off the HDC on this particular hill. It's actually counter productive to the situation that I'm referring to here. Get the auto box in the correct gear (in low ratio) using command shift and it happily goes down the hill using engine braking. I only ever used HDC in my td5 once on this hill when it was extremely wet and slimy when I only barely managed to get up it. Maybe I'm just not used to the way the D3 wants to work, and I'm still treating it like the td5, but I just don't like using HDC when it's not necessary in my opinion.

I ended up sliding backwards in a LRE D3 down the 30* hill at HOTL while holding my foot firmly on the brakes to no avail once. Wink Stupidly failed the ascent and then forgot that HDC worked in reverse while we slowly slid back down the hill! In that kind of situation (i.e. the unknown), I fully see the point of having HDC on at all times.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #6955510th Jul 2006 9:24 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Gareth wrote:
Good point, no I did not switch it off. I have only ever switched it off when I know I need power and momentum, i.e UP hills with a slippery surface. Never thought it would affect down hill.

I will give it a try next time I go out in the hills.

I regulary go wheeling in loose sandy silty dirt and rocks (California's Mojave Desert), so my DSC is typically always off as soon as I leave the blacktop.

Interestingly, just yesterday I was going down a steep grade crawling over a large rock section, and with DSC off (light on dash illuminated), the front wheels engaged and the DSC light blinked a few times. So I'm not sure how off, "off" really is, but at least it does't seem to strangle the engine right when I need it most!

Post #6955610th Jul 2006 9:32 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

bkehoe wrote:
I wouldnt have had DSC off either. It's not a situation where there would be any wheelslip.

There can always be situations where the inertia of the vehicle can cause loss of grip down a steep decent and therefore the wheels may be technically spinning until HDC can pick it up again. Don't forget that DSC is sensing not only the wheel rotational status but also any longditudinal and lateral forces being applied to the vehicle as a whole. Taking this into account it is fairly plausible that DSC would want to intervene while HDC is trying to do it's job too.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6955810th Jul 2006 9:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >