Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Brakes grabbing and low box hill descent issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

In command shift (CS) the engine stays in the gear selected when in low range....it will not change up ....period.

Any reasonable descent with an auto should be taken with HDC on, command shift selected with 1st or maybe 2nd , steepness dependent. If you take HDC off you will progress up to the rev limiter of the gear selected in CS. You should refrain from steep descent in general 'auto' as the box will change up if HDC is not activated.

Or you could always go into neutral and just use the brakes eh Steve Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 4th Jul 2006 12:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #678553rd Jul 2006 11:49 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

So command shift will also lock the gear in in low range but won't allow it to change up, but will it make any difference to the sudden lurch crazy Dave and me seem to get?
As I said mine didn't change up unless I touched the throttle. unless decsent is realy steep and long I find HDC too slow and unnecessary.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #678593rd Jul 2006 11:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm trying to understand this lurching issue.....if you speed up to say 10 mph with HDC on and the take your foot off the accelerator...you will lurch back as HDC kicks in....but this is absolutely normal because the HDC will want to kick in at the pre-defined speed which as I seem to recall starts at 1.8mph and works up in small increments via the Crusie control +\- buttons.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #678624th Jul 2006 12:13 am
SN

I'm talking about when HDC is off!

Low range, 10 mph at most and in 2nd gear low range, and the auto chooses to drop back to 1st - big big kick back happens at this point
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #678644th Jul 2006 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

What...... in command shift ??? If so when you are in low range the
command shift gear you have selected will not change up or down.(unless you physically move the gearstick)

Are you sure your not in sport mode for the change down to happen?
Post #678664th Jul 2006 12:20 am
Chris200100

Wales 

Steve I get this Kick back in low range with the auto in D but i dont get in in C/S.

I rather use C/s in low range you have alot more control over the vehicle, I did notced you were using drive when you were going down the steps on day 1,

I used C/s 1 gear and had no problems with kicking or lurching.

Give it a try in a car park see if its any better in C/S

Post #678684th Jul 2006 12:24 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

qzdcg8 wrote:
I'm talking about when HDC is off!

Low range, 10 mph at most and in 2nd gear low range, and the auto chooses to drop back to 1st - big big kick back happens at this point

Sounds exactly like what I experienced but unsure if it changed down gear, mine doesn't show which gear you are in when in D
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #678694th Jul 2006 2:19 am
Pelyma

England 

Steve you sound like you might be describing the drop in gear ratio, low first is a very low gear if you are taking your foot off at 10 mph your nose might just end up on the screen!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #678744th Jul 2006 6:53 am
SN

Thats exactly what was happening - I was looking for the correct way to avoid it happening - I think the answer has been given in this thread
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #678974th Jul 2006 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This is not what I am trying to describe. It goes like this;

You are sitting at the top of a slope, foot on brake, in D with lo box and HDC engaged. (you are also probably either in Rock Crawl or Mud n Ruts).

You let the footbrake go, and the vehicle moves off, the HDC gets hold of the vehicle and starts to control the descent.

After a few seconds, the car will slow abrubtly, then speed up to HDC speed again, and this repeats regularly every 3 - 4 seconds.

Each slow down/speed up cycle is accompanied by a slight rise in revs, then drop back to idle.

My theory is that the torque convertor is disengaged when the car sets off, and is momentarily engaging as the car descends. In other words it would be like dipping the clutch up and down while descending a hill in a manual.

Post #679004th Jul 2006 9:23 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have had similar occurences, low range down short hill with heavy trailer commandshift 1st and I think it is the engine semi stalling as the rev counter drops to zero and very quickly recovers. Have also had this in normal road gears coasting up to junctions especially if you give the accelerator a little blip.Can also be induced at tickover in park by quickly blipping the throttleand sometimes it will almost stall. Does this sound familiar to anyone as this is my 2nd D3 and they both did it. Had enhancement last week and it hasnt done it yet but I havent been in low etc etc yet
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #679014th Jul 2006 9:32 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

What you describe there Gareth definitely does not occur in mine....HDC is smooth .....well....as smooth as you could possibly get going down steep rocky steps Very Happy
Post #679044th Jul 2006 9:43 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This could be a low voltage issue Shocked
Three vehicles had problems with low voltage over the weekend, primarily caused by low revs and high load, there is an interaction between the HEVACS ECU, the EMS and the alternator which basically shuts doen systems as the voltage drops. first system to go is suspension (it doesn't drop, but goes into a failsafe mode), then transfer box range change, also the EPB will spit out errors and squeal like a pig Shocked
Coupled to the high aircon load, the idle speed is raised to approximately 950rpm to provide better cooling although the minimum engine revs to provide a decent level of charge is about 1500rpm. it's possible that there is a conflict between the systems at raised engine idle causing the transmission tip in - tip out as described above, I think the 'dip' in revs after blipping the throttle is a seperate issue, mine does this now and has for approximately 2000 miles, the latest software hasn't cleared it, so I guess it must be a 'feature' - Gareth and I had a discussion about it on Saturday night, it seems to be engine related, not transmission as it is common to both auto & manual 'box variants

Post #679054th Jul 2006 9:46 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes Blueanchorinn, I have this engine stumbling. There is a TSB referring to it, which I have had done and it still stumbles occasionally like you describe. I think it is a feature not to worry about.

The symptom I am describing with hill descent is a different issue. I think the only way to show you all is next time we are off road I will demonstrate!

BTW Blueanchorinn, you have a cracking good pub there! been there many times - I often bring the caravan to Blue Anchor Bay. Next time I am down (possibly end September) I will pop inn and see you 8)

Post #679134th Jul 2006 10:02 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The manual stumbles too sometimes. Far better now though since last SW update. Before then it would try and stall before the anti-stall kicked in. And caused a dip when changing gears - most noticeable 1st to 2nd where you usually use high revs when starting off.

Post #679214th Jul 2006 11:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >