Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

EGR Dilemma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
EGR Dilemma

OK, so this is going to be a rambling post, apologies for that before I start Smile

I’m having constant EGR questions going round in my head, have read all the posts, downloaded the blanking kit instructions etc etc but still am unsure as to what to do.

I guess the first question is do mine need doing? Easy to answer you might think but bear in mind this is my first D3 and if they are gone then they were probably gone when I bought it, then I don’t really have a reference point to compare it to in terms of performance.

What I can say is that there is no smoke (as many seem to have with EGR issues), the low down performance seems to be very poor to me – no go below 1800 RPM whatsoever and try as hard as I might on long gentle runs even 25mpg is difficult to achieve (verified using the brim to brim fill up method several times), plus it’s a manual so I would have thought it would be marginally more economical than an auto?

From what I have seen so far the previous owner wasn’t big on maintenance other than essential routine servicing (the low coolant sensor was duff for example and had been pointed out by the servicing dealer several times but the previous owner hadn't bothered to do anything about it - fixed with a new tank/sensor by me last week); there is nothing in the service history or the service receipts about the EGRs having been done and it’s done 65k. Am I being pessimistic or surely at 65k, with the symptoms described, the most likely issue is at least one of the EGRs? I know for sure that the only way to find out is to get a fault code reader (seriously considering getting a Faultmate FCR anyway - just need to wait till pay day Rolling Eyes ) but I don’t have easy access to one at present.

I thought that the easiest option would be to buy a blanking kit, get on with it and be done with it, forget worrying about if they were gone or not and just blank them off.

But then I took out a warranty with Warranty Direct. Now I know that the EGRs are covered (but I would still need to confirm the diagnosis and find someone VAT registered to fit them to make a WD claim) and it seems like a lot of hassle when they are probably going to go again at some point in the furture.

Part of me thinks paid for a warranty get your money worth out of them Razz . The other part of me thinks fit the blanking kit yourself and be done with it permanently without all the fuss of getting it diagnosed and making a claim.

The other thought that occurred to me was that if I fit the blanking kit, something else then breaks, WD decide not to pay up because I have “changed the specification” / “fitted non standard parts” or some other nonsense that they might choose to come up with to get out of a claim!

Sorry for waffling on. What would you do in my position?

Alix

Post #64748311th May 2010 9:44 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

You would deffo know if one or mor EGR's had gone on you.From the sounds of what you say in your post they havn't gone!

Post #64752511th May 2010 10:51 am
discoteca

Really? It's that obvious when they've gone?

Wonder why the mpg is so poor then, don't think I have that much of a lead foot Shocked

Post #64753211th May 2010 11:08 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Our EGR's must have been going for months and months, and it got sluggish but still drove ok so you would not notice unless you jumped from another D3.

Might be a problem, might not. Dealer did service with bad EGR and did not spot it!

Post #64754811th May 2010 11:36 am
AWD man

England 

No smoke on mine.... just a progressive loss of power/torque over 2 or 3 months...

like you, anything under 1800rpm is a waste of time, and less pickup when cruising unless you boot it.

ECU fault reads EGR problem...maybe only one..but one seams to be enough
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #64755711th May 2010 11:46 am
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

I didn't even notice mine had egr issues (the AA man told the garage when dropping my car off that the engine was running roughly. it went in for the electrics/suspension problem to be fixed). Was fixed by the garage when it went in for something else. With hindsight, it might have been a bit more sluggish in the last few weeks, but it was certainly not at all clear to me there was anything wrong

Post #64761811th May 2010 2:08 pm
Harribo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think mine are on their way out intermittantly, some times really sluggish below 1800rpm then bursts into life, then sometimes fine, when they go its almost like someone had put it into GGS mode, no smoke that i've noticed, no lights nothing mpg only around 24 - 25 is on manual but low milage runs, but you can definately tell the difference when they start playing up, mine going for service in 3 week and warrenty work so hopefully will get done.
 Harribo  
Post #64771111th May 2010 5:10 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Disco duck wrote:
You would deffo know if one or mor EGR's had gone on you.From the sounds of what you say in your post they havn't gone!

Im going to have to beg to differ - One of my EGRs has been showing a failure (faultmate) so I asked the dealer to check and they identified a failure also - its just been into the dealers today for a new O/S EGR value all covered under extended warranty.

however, I havnt been noticing any drop in performance, worsening fuel economy or black smoke etc Confused

Just happy that its fixed Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #64771511th May 2010 5:24 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Go and fit the blanking kit, its done, no worries, no drama, no big dosh.

Simples Exclamation

Its a question of when not if with the valves, fix one the other goes, some last good some not, the piece of mind you are seeking only comes with the blanking kit
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #64778911th May 2010 7:51 pm
MaDPO

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Fit blanking plates 1hrs job max if they have gone you will be amazed at the improvement Very Happy , then claim from WD if you can I have had no joy from them with and would not recommend them. The plates (£5 inc.pp pair Fleebay)will always come in as spares when the new ones fail Whistle . M4DPO
 D3 can when others can't
D3 will when others won't
D3 drinks when others don't. 

Post #64791511th May 2010 11:23 pm
Dave T

England 

When mine went , initially it would occasionally sit and cough and splutter for a few minutes with no power whatsoever, then when restarted would clear and be ok. It then progressed to continuously no power below around 2000 and if it even saw a hill, would slow right down because of the lack of power.

I paid to replace mine, (around 55K, 4 years old I think) as there wasn't an awful lot on here at the time. Since then I have had a look at StephenO's car and when it happens again I will definately go the same route. Stephen admits he is not mechanically minded at all but still found it easy so well worth having a go.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #64797712th May 2010 7:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The RH bank EGR on mine has just 'gone'. It's booked in under warranty early June at local dealer in Stratford (earliest they could get me a courtesy car sorted).

I thought that about a week before it happened that the car was feeling sluggish when pulling away but thought that may have 'just been me' as I was chopping and changing between driving my D3 and a Beemer 3 series diesel auto which has a bit more poke.

Then the warning light came on confirming to me that maybe the performance had indeed been dropping. Local dealer said could take in five days later with no courtesy car available (oh, I'll just walk everywhere then.....) so I decided to call the LR assist out. If they couldn't get it going OK then they tow and provide a courtesy car (even a euro hatch would suffice for me). They turned up within the hour, put the diagnostics on it and confirmed the RH EGR had failed. All they did was pull the pipe off and said it was fine to drive until the dealer could take it in.

It definitely 'went' better afterwards. Oddly the warning light also extinguished after a couple of hundred miles but has since come back on again Question Question Question

So it's now booked in for the EGR, the EPB (stopped working completely, nothing at all, no whirrs, nothing. I never use it as I have an auto but then yesterday I tugged the lever while waiting in the car and it all works fine again. Won't be using it again just in-case it sticks 'on') and a squeaky/creaking drivers seat.

Post #64858713th May 2010 6:26 pm
gerbal

Ireland 

My egrs were affected over night. No power under 2000 revs then took off like a rocket. Checked out the threads on the site and had a good idea what the issue was. Brought back to the garage and explained what i found. Garage checked it out and i needed one of the egr's relaced. Thought i was covered under warranty from the garage but my mileage limit was too high. Expensive bit of kit ....over here. Performance returned to normal. Sent away for the blanking kit to have as backup.
Low and behold 4 to 5 months later issue returned. Fitted my blanking plates and instanct fix. Underwent its yearly doe test and it passed (emmisions well within spec.) Very Happy

Post #64875914th May 2010 9:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoteca

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have had a kind offer from someone local on the site to compare my D3 with his (his EGRs have been changed).

I am convinced at least one of them has gone but am still not 100% certain. I guess I'll know once we compare them side by side and report back next week hopefully.

Post #64933415th May 2010 7:42 pm
discoteca

Bought a faultmate FCR from BBS (great bit of kit by the way) plugged it in today and in amongst the total of 38 different faults logged was P0405 and P1335.

That'll be a duff EGR then Rolling Eyes

Cleared all the fault codes (most were due to having a duff battery previously, I hope) and P0405 was back within 20 mins of driving.

Just need to decide now whether to blank or make a warranty claim.

Post #6560332nd Jun 2010 11:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >