Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Performance Air Filter For D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Paul, thanks for your views - I do respect them.

As you can see, I have no problems with information regarding the availability of the product and production information being posted.

What I do have issue with, and what contravenes site rules, is promoting a supplier or retailer which doesn't have an advertising agreement with DISCO3.

I do try not to be heavy handed as I don't think this works on internet forums at all and just causes immense frictions between site management and members. However I won't let the site be hijacked for commercial purposes, which has been the case in the past and there are rules to prevent.

However mistakes can be made, although I would prefer that these were discussed and rectified via private message to prevent unnecessary arguments and finger-pointing which helps nobody Smile

Martin

Post #6705728th Jun 2006 8:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SuperMan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Martin wrote:
SuperMan, I believe that Turbochip, a current site sponsor, can provide them Smile

They certainly have done in the past.

cheers
 F&M  
Post #6706428th Jun 2006 8:45 pm
PaulB

United Kingdom 

Both this and RRSport.co.uk are cracking sites and as they're both your's, I guess you're allowed to call the shots. Wink
If they were mine, I'd do the same.

Keep it up.

Paul

Post #6706628th Jun 2006 8:46 pm
SuperMan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

can I ask does this air filter effect the warranty.
 F&M  
Post #6706828th Jun 2006 8:48 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

PaulB wrote:
Both this and RRSport.co.uk are cracking sites and as they're both your's, I guess you're allowed to call the shots. Wink
If they were mine, I'd do the same.

Keep it up.

Paul

Awww, don't make me blush Embarassed Wink Mr. Green

Post #6707428th Jun 2006 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6707628th Jun 2006 8:53 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Quote:
What I do have issue with, and what contravenes site rules, is promoting a supplier or retailer which doesn't have an advertising agreement with DISCO3.

Whilst I agree with Martin getting to call the shots, and that unsolicited marketing on forums can be a pain in the butt when it gets out of hand, does this not skim dangerously close to being able to buy editorial favouritism. Surely this thread was an innocent discussion of a product recommendation by interested forum members for the benefit of others - including where the product can be bought from (i.e. the product manufacturer, rather than a reseller (even if they are a sponsor) - thus presumably enabling the member to obtain the product at a lower price by cutting out the middle man.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #6710128th Jun 2006 9:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

....which begs the question, if it wasnt for the forum and it's sponsorship (which has to be commercially viable) would a potential buyer have:-
a). Know about the product in the first place
b). Have known who to approach to purchase
c). been happy with the price it was offered at, given the relatively vertical market

Post #6710528th Jun 2006 9:40 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Agreed.

I guess really we should campaign to increase the number of companies who sponsor this fine institution. It certainly seems that a certain sponsor has realised a fair amount of business through doing so, at the expense of their competitors who have not seen fit to take advantage of the opportunity of site sponsorship. However, coming back to my previous point - the display of sponsors adverts at the top of every page should be enough, without also gaining "editiorial endorsement" by the removal of the mention of competitive companies and products from threads.
Just my opinion though - enjoying the discussion.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #6711228th Jun 2006 9:56 pm
PaulB

United Kingdom 

I don't think a site like this "has" to be commercially viable for it to work. I guess it is a bonus if it is, but it isn't a necessity.
I don't particularly think the 3 questions asked are valid in this case because without the sort of dialogue we have had on this and similar topics, there is little point in having the forum.
It goes against the grain for any manufacturer or supplier to promote their products in threads on forums like this where owners should be exchanging knowledge and experiences, regardless of whether they sponsor the site or not. Banners and adverts is one thing, taking part in discussions is somewhat different.
I viewed this thread as a legitimate exchange of experience and knowledge by owners and/or interested parties and none of it struck me as blatant advertising.
I'm sorry Martin, I guess you've heard all this before Embarassed
As I said, it's you ball and if you want to take it away, you are perfectly within your rights to do so.

Paul

Post #6712428th Jun 2006 10:09 pm
10forcash

All of which creates a compelling argument for others to sponsor - otherwise lose potential sales Wink

Post #6712628th Jun 2006 10:11 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I see that it is starting to happen over on RRsport, there is a wheel supplier that is sponsering a forum/section and offering site discounts.

Surely it would make sense that companies such as the filter manufacturer (who has had plenty of free plugs in the past) to come forward and do the same.

It comes back to group buying, if a company offers a small discount and some sponsership of the site I am sure that many members would buy their products and they would make even more profit.

SO COME ON ALL YOU COMPANIES THAT HAVE DONE WELL OUT OF DISCO3.CO.UK, YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6715928th Jun 2006 10:39 pm
10forcash

...alternatively, they could give Martin a 'trade' rate so he could sell them through the Disco3 / RRsport shop.... Wink

Post #6716828th Jun 2006 10:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep thats a good idea, in fact, its a brilliant idea. Maybe you should talk to a Land Rover dealership to get some discounted parts on their too?

Post #6717228th Jun 2006 10:50 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
Yep thats a good idea, in fact, its a brilliant idea. Maybe you should talk to a Land Rover dealership to get some discounted parts on their too?

And D3's Wink

Post #6717528th Jun 2006 10:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >