Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

May be joining the D3 gang again. (Advice on buying used)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
May be joining the D3 gang again. (Advice on buying used)

After selling my D3 HSE in June 2007, I've slowly been working my way through various cars and now again might be in the market for a D3 again Mr. Green
In mid-December we moved to the top of the Berkshire downs and now have been snowed in for three weeks! Luckily I have my 40 year old Series IIa, so am using this to get up and down the hill, and leaving our car parked at the edge of the village. After getting the car stuck a few times too, it's all getting a bit tedious, so we've decided to get a 4x4 again.
We have a new Kia Soul as our main car (for 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, style & economy) and the 4x4 will replace our Saab 9-5 estate.
Was considering a Kia Sorento for about £8-9K as these seem the best value for a decent offroader and are also considerably cheaper than a Land Cruiser or Shogun. Didn't really want to spend any more than about £6K, but you get only end-of-life cars for that. Ideally wanted something with no more than about 60k miles, so it wasn't suffering from too much wear. But you keep looking at what another grand buys and before you know it you're considering a D3 or even a Range Rover L332, but then you're up to around £13K and much more miles.

Obviously I know all about D3 ownership (having done 30k miles in mine), but I don't know about how they age.
I've read a few similar posts here. I have some questions regarding buying a used D3:

What is the cost of a warranty?
When (typical mileage) does suspension bushes wear and what is the approx cost of replacement?
When does the turbo wear out & what's the cost?
I've seen some mention to electrical problems? Is owning an old D3 like a owning a RR P38?
 Matt  
Post #57958112th Jan 2010 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Welcome back Matt Thumbs Up

I still tell the story of the D3Matt family in shock after the tow down the Lane From Hell !!!!
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #57958412th Jan 2010 2:07 pm
DrLex

Iceland 
Re: May be joining the D3 gang again. (Advice on buying used

A tentative "Welcome back"!

d3matt wrote:
[...]
We have a new Kia Soul as our main car (for 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, style & economy) [...]

It's certainly... different; One man's meat etc.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #57959212th Jan 2010 2:19 pm
d3matt

DiscoDunc wrote:
Welcome back Matt Thumbs Up

I still tell the story of the D3Matt family in shock after the tow down the Lane From Hell !!!!

They've never forgiven me for that! My daughter just wont go anywhere near any mud or rough stuff in the LR now.
 Matt  
Post #57959412th Jan 2010 2:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hey Matt nice to hear from you Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #57959712th Jan 2010 2:22 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Welcome back Matt....
2 years away and I still haven't got anywhere near your post count.....
 nil admirari

Post #57964212th Jan 2010 3:14 pm
d3matt

Buckingham wrote:
Welcome back Matt....
2 years away and I still haven't got anywhere near your post count.....

Yeah, but I've got some work done during the days now!
 Matt  
Post #57966012th Jan 2010 3:42 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I seem to recall towing D2Matt on a Wilts trip too.... something to do with the Dixon Bate plough you had fitted. Nice to see you on here again Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #57969612th Jan 2010 4:40 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Hello Matt - welcome back Very Happy
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #57989512th Jan 2010 8:08 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

No, forgive me, it was a cross-axled 90 on THE HILL that resulted in happy memories Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #57991912th Jan 2010 8:35 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h wrote:
I seem to recall towing D2Matt on a Wilts trip too.... something to do with the Dixon Bate plough you had fitted. Nice to see you on here again Thumbs Up

Matt was in his 90, that ploughing D2 was me Laughing Many thanks again!

Welcome back Matt!

Post #57992712th Jan 2010 8:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Hi Matt, good to hear from you after Peterborough. Good if you can rejoin the madness, remember Yarwell 06??? Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #57996112th Jan 2010 9:19 pm
d3matt

Thanks for all the 'welcome backs'.
Yes, had some fantastic times in the D3 on the events. Playing at Yarwell, driving through the swollen fords near Salisbury Plain (& driving sideways for the weekend!), in the snow & up the slate mine in Lake District to name a few. I recently got some photos blown up and framed of the D3 on these events. It was madness what I put a new £42K vehicle through. Testament to how good the D3 is.

Would love to get another one, but nervous about buying at the bottom end - 2004/2005 with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock.

In comparison, £10,995 buys you a 2005 top spec (XT) diesel auto Sorento with only 32k miles or a £5,995 buys you a 2006 3.5 V6 petrol Sorento with only 23,000 miles. The V6 petrol is very thirsty, but the ~£4K saving buys a lot of fuel! I'm wondering if this is a more sensible buy for now and put off the D3 ownership for another year or two when I then may be able to afford a newer D3 or even a D4 by then.

I'll have to get my Series II up to scratch and join you on a local event. It's just a bit frustrating being limited to about 45 mph on the road.
 Matt  
Post #58014112th Jan 2010 11:51 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I found the ride in the Sorento to be woeful when I took a couple of extended test drives - pitches and crashes all over the place. There's a reason they're cheaper, and it's not just spec and finish. Would give you more of the "proper" big 4x4 feel than a lot of other cars out there though. D2 no good for you?

Also worth looking at the XC90 and the Touareg. Neither are a D3, but you'll be closer to the quality and feel and might keep it a bit longer, giving you more chance to save for the car you know you really want. Chopping cars every 5 minutes is a great way to burn cash.
Post #58016713th Jan 2010 12:41 am
d3matt

XC90 & Touaregs are both in D3 prices. i.e. starting at around £13K and then high mileages. I do like Touaregs and did test drive these before getting the RRS originally.
Yes, did consider a D2, but put off these by the old design, rust (they all seem to have rusty window trims!) and reliability.
I did test drive new Sorento's twice years ago. I know what you mean by the ride quality.

We're having a look at this one tomorrow. A bit 'bling', but it has all the kit - leather, electric & heated seats, sat nav, cruise etc. And less than 33k miles.

Do wonder if a D3 is worth £5K more and for 3 times the mileage.
I know the answer - Yes it is. But when this is going to be our second car and used less, I'm finding it hard to justify the spending the extra £5K.
 Matt  
Post #58017313th Jan 2010 1:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >