Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

May be joining the D3 gang again. (Advice on buying used)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

plenty of sub £10k xc90s on autotrader Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58017813th Jan 2010 1:41 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, but 2.9 petrols or high mileage diesels.
Nothing local either. Very difficult to get the Mrs to go more than about 40 mins drive to look at cars.
 Matt  
Post #58018013th Jan 2010 1:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

That's because she's not diring a nice comfy 4x4 Thumbs Up

Sorry, I'm not helping am I Embarassed
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58029813th Jan 2010 10:43 am
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My 54 SE has been perfect so far. FSH and only a new suspension compressor in over 2 years of ownership, although its booked in next week to address play in the propshaft joints or ball joints (?), its been clunking underneath anyway. All been covered on a Tesco Warranty which is not available to buy anymore but there have been some other good alternatives talked about on here. Oh and a battery a couple of weeks ago. Keep remembering things now! A rear wiper arm, washer bottle float.

If its the 4x4 you need rather than a big car I've seen lots of Subaru's coping admirably in the snow and ice recently and they have great cars throughout the range with 4x4 Thumbs Up
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #58031613th Jan 2010 11:07 am
d3matt

Yes, it is a big 4x4 we want. Large as possible really as it is handy to have a big load carrier.
Good 4x4s are selling really fast at the moment. All the good ones I see advertised have sold! (Including that Sorento above - but I know most of you would question the term "good one").
 Matt  
Post #58048313th Jan 2010 3:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Matt, stop pondering and buy a D3, you know you'll regret it otherwise Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #58048513th Jan 2010 3:06 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Matt
there are a few people on here who are trading up to D4's, ave you tried asking any of them. You may get a good deal and also would know what the history of the car was, this may be a safer bet than buying of jo public or a rip of dealer Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #58048813th Jan 2010 3:07 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
One man's meat

is another girls pleasure.. Whistle

my 2 cents matt, if you get anything else, you'll be left wantiong an LR nad always have that vacant "i wish" look,.,,,
 one wife.......livid  
Post #58049013th Jan 2010 3:10 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Matt.. you have already decided to get another one Wink - you are just trying to get more moral support Whistle

just do it Thumbs Up

you can always sell it if you change your mind.

and as for the Sorento ....... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter they are driven by Caravanners in their 60's who cant afford to buy an executive motor.. Whistle

Wink
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #58060113th Jan 2010 5:24 pm
d3matt

Ok, I've buckled. Now looking at D2s as well. Considering 2001-2003 TD5 with less than 80k miles. Seems a bit more sense to spend about half the price of an early D3 as this is our second car after all.

Anyone got anything?
 Matt  
Post #58096814th Jan 2010 3:46 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D3 or other vehicle

Just been in similar predicament; used to have SE and HSE spec plus options as company cars and took them all for granted. Left and started funding my own cars (and you can get some fantastic cars for £12-15k in the luxo-barge category).

About 9 months ago wanted a Disco' but couldn't stomach £20k plus for what I wanted. Had a few different cars but recently bit the bullet and shelled out on my 07 Disco.

Anyway point is the car it replaced may be something you should consider, a bit of a wild card option already mentioned. Car in question was Subaru Tribeca SE7. This is the dead ugly 4x4 thingy that you've probably never seen as so few around. It was built for the yank market so is more soft-roader than off-roader but more than capable in snow we've had (the Legacy Outback is more 'hardcore' offroader than the Tribeca).

In respect of VFM the Subaru was a 56 plate, 17k mileage, top spec, seven seater (auto, leather, DVD with IR headphones, reverse camera, seven seats, etc. etc.) and cost £12,800 at 3 years ex-management vehicle. A similar, more miles, lower spec Disco was at least £6k more.....

Build quality was great, it was a little bit quirky (seperate switch to put side lights on if ignition off, no auto wipers or dipping rear mirror, central digital instrument display straight off a PS2 game and it even included a calculator!!!). Engine was the 3.0 litre boxer 6 cylinder. Cracking but five speed auto box 'hunted' around a bit on inclines and best MPG I could get was 28mpg and that was really, REALLY trying on gentle run - worse was 14mpg on quick thrash......) but as pointed out saved money gets you a newer car AND loads of petrol.

However, still wanted Disco' so it went and I shelled out more for something only slightly newer with double mileage and a history of trouble....... Whistle

I think in your position I'd go for the newer/lower mileage alternatives rather than a ropey/risky one of something you just lust after

Post #58219115th Jan 2010 5:58 pm
d3matt

The Subaru Tribeca is an interesting option. Hadn't looked at those. Good review at Parkers. Pitty there isn't a diesel option. Certainly a lot of car for the money, but then that is the case for all the petrol 4x4s.
I think I'll still want a Discovery though.

I've phoned up about loads of cars now and all the Disco2 within an hours drive of me have sold. There is a massive shortage of 4x4s at the moment. Everyone is holding on to them during this bad weather. Prices have risen too.
 Matt  
Post #58253316th Jan 2010 1:53 am
d3matt

After looking for a 4x4 for months, I decided to wait 'til the summer to let the prices drop as they were sky high after the snow. Anyway, after looking at a few Disco2's 2003 models (which I didn't like after having the D3), I decided that it wasn't really necessary to have 4x4 for the 2 weeks per year that it might snow, especially as I have my 1969 SIIa still (and never selling that!). I decided that it was wiser to spend the money on something more economical and preferable still had a warranty, rather than something that had 80k miles or more.
After looking at various estate cars, I kept coming back to Kia again. So, (in my cardigan and slippers Very Happy ) I decided that a new Ceed Estate was the wisest move, even though it is boring. With the price of fuel, running costs and the warranty won me over. I managed to get a cracking deal on a new one, by ordering one on the last day of the month. Sometime late next week I collect it - a new top spec Ceed SW 3.

Same colour and spec as this one..

Still, it has a great spec and is very safe. And of course the 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Even has hill start assist and a pre-heater like the D3!

My wife's Kia Soul is now a year old and we've done 22k miles in that. That has proved to be a great car and has really changed our image of the brand. We used to be a two Land Rover family - now we're a two Kia family and one old Land Rover for playing!

So this is probably my goodbye now as I'm unlikely to get a D3 now. Unless I win the lottery and then I'll be getting a D4.
I'm now a regular on the Kia forums. I would have never believed it a few years ago!! Shocked

Still, the savings in fuel costs can now go towards school fees, which is more important. And I don't feel ashamed parking the Kia next to the long row of Discoverys and Range Rovers in the school car park. There is a sort of a smug feeling knowing that the Kia costs about £500 per month less than the D3 (in fuel and depreciation costs) and has 4 years more warranty. At least I can say to myself 'I've been there, done that'.
 Matt  
Post #66307321st Jun 2010 5:48 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've been in a Kia Cee'd Pro a few times and was VERY impressed with it - and I don't mean as in "This new Renault/Citröen/Ford is nice" - I thought it was even above that considering the price.....quite unbelievable considering what Kia's were like a good few years ago.

Throw in a 7 year warranty and I think you've made a great choice.... Thumbs Up

d3matt wrote:
And I don't feel ashamed parking the Kia next to the long row of Discoverys and Range Rovers in the school car park.

OK.....I agreed with you up until I read this comment....now you've gone and spoilt it Laughing
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #66307421st Jun 2010 5:53 pm
SN

its a good job beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

unfortunately my eye just ain't beholdin' it

sorry Embarassed
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #66312721st Jun 2010 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >