Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 38 <123 ... 202122 ... 363738>
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The solution (subject to me double checking) is in that picture.

Being non-technical and a bit thick I didn't realise a wiring diagram is not the same as what you actually see in reality. I assumed from the diagram you unplugged the 8 pin FBH plug and then connected wires between plug and socket. Rolling Eyes cos that's what the diagram suggests Embarassed

As per Marco's pic and no doubt the earlier explanations you just need the extra wire in pin 2 (as available from the D3 shop, or in my case installed by TFC, and connected that to the OBD. Add power to the OBD and it appears (fingers crossed) it should work,

If it doesn't I'll be selling my FBH Evil or Very Mad
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #9865327th Oct 2012 2:47 pm
marco 110

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

RCDtripper wrote:
Why not share your solution Whistle

read my message again............... Laughing

See picture ..........................

work only if D3 sleeping !!!

Only 3 wire , two for powered OBD lead , one (on 7) to pin 2 on the FHB !

Run Webasto software , pug usb , check device , run diagnostic after.....Easy , no ?

Two solutions for "loom":
original by Ian :

Click image to enlarge

Mine , "easier" , but , D3 must sleep !!!

Click image to enlarge

OBD lead :

Marco.
-D4 sdv6 HSE 2012 , high beam assist , surround cam, tv , and a lot of nice stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcsteph110?feature=mhum

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #9865347th Oct 2012 2:57 pm
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You must have THREE connections to the ODB:
12v shown as 'W16' and in the diagram brown. This can come direct from the vehicle battery via a fuse.
GND shown as 'W5' and in the diagram is pink/black. This can come direct from the vehicle battery.
WBus show as 'W7' in the diagram red.
You must have supply to the ODB as it contains an interface which is not powered by the USB from the computer/laptop.

There are two options with the WBus wire coming from the ODB.
The correct way is shown in my diagram which makes a 'piggy back' so you can loop into the FBH connector without having the vehicles CAN connected. This allows you full control of the FBH whilst running the vehicle to keep the vehicle battery charged, as there are possibilies of further errors and complications if the vehicle battery voltage is low.
The other option is as per the other diagram which is a variation of mine. Here the WBus is connected straight into the vehicle loom FBH plug. As is pointed out the vehicle must be asleep (handbrake light not illuminated). Bear in mind that for the first few hours of the vehicle being asleep the CAN will at 20min intervals poll the can to make sure everything is asleep. If the WBus is live the FBH will report back that it isn't asleep which will cause errors with and readings you are trying to take BUT also the vehicle via the CAN will force the FBH to go to sleep. This creates yet another error in the FBH log.

Error with the USB interface not finding the FBH is almost always due to the Webasto programme not looking on the correct Comms port when the ODB is plugged in.
Make sure that when the ODB is plugged into the USB that you look in your settings which port it is on and change it to match the Webasto programme.

If you are having issues with the Comms let me know as I have how to install it in a bit more detail.

Ian
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #9867547th Oct 2012 10:43 pm
marco 110

IanNP wrote:

The other option is as per the other diagram which is a variation of mine. Here the WBus is connected straight into the vehicle loom FBH plug. As is pointed out the vehicle must be asleep (handbrake light not illuminated). Bear in mind that for the first few hours of the vehicle being asleep the CAN will at 20min intervals poll the can to make sure everything is asleep. If the WBus is live the FBH will report back that it isn't asleep which will cause errors with and readings you are trying to take BUT also the vehicle via the CAN will force the FBH to go to sleep. This creates yet another error in the FBH log.

Ian

Ian t, very interesting!

I have obd loom "simple", as my diagram above!
Do you think my "worry" can come from there?
I have some doubts suddenly! Embarassed

Quote:
Bear in mind that for the first few hours of the vehicle being asleep the CAN will at 20min intervals

Explain me the D3 is "awakened" every 20 minutes?
How long after close door ?
 Marco.
-D4 sdv6 HSE 2012 , high beam assist , surround cam, tv , and a lot of nice stuff..

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #9867647th Oct 2012 11:42 pm
ruggedpeak

IanNP wrote:
Error with the USB interface not finding the FBH is almost always due to the Webasto programme not looking on the correct Comms port when the ODB is plugged in.
Make sure that when the ODB is plugged into the USB that you look in your settings which port it is on and change it to match the Webasto programme.

If you are having issues with the Comms let me know as I have how to install it in a bit more detail.

Ian

Thanks Ian, its not interfacing at all. Just sys "WWT something" and sits there. I have the wires in place including power to the OBD, which I verified with Marco.

The OBD is a USB, and comes up as a FT232R USB UART, and has USB Serial Port (Com4) and Convertor by FTDI, which windows reports are both operating correctly. When power is applied the OBD does a little test run of its lights then has a green flash as it tries to talk to the FBH. The webasto software is set to COM4 and when diagnosis is started as the green LED flashes.
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #9870838th Oct 2012 8:00 pm
vinnie

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well mine kicked into life this morning, first time after summer Rolling Eyes i think. Just waiting for Pete's controller now so i can do manually Very Happy

Post #9874489th Oct 2012 6:58 pm
raymocrjd

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the FBH, I'm looking at a replacement unit and I want to fit it myself?

Any instructions?

Cheers,

Last edited by raymocrjd on 15th Apr 2020 11:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #98795110th Oct 2012 9:11 pm
anglefire

England 

I've changed mine. It's pretty obvious to be honest when you look - hardest part is capping the water pipes so they don't leak - but as long as you do it on a cold engine with no pressure in, they can be left open for the short while it takes to disconnect and connect - just make sure they are held up a bit - corks are probably the easiest to use due to the tight space.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #98804811th Oct 2012 6:58 am
marco 110

My recent investigations:
I now know that my co2 values ​​are not correct, ok, But to be able changing them, the FHB should operate at full load combustion!
Therefore, impossible to make the right adjustments if FHB can't run,so , how reset the FHB software ?
I try everything: hard-reset the D3, and all things with the Webasto software !
Have you any idea?
He is dead otherwise!!

And it's my fault!! Mr. Green

I guess there is a electronic board inside, how to change? we can only change it!? ......

Another software?
Anyone know a technician Webasto to ask question ?
 Marco.

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #98870412th Oct 2012 12:39 pm
hexf

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Workshop manual ttv

Found this workshop manual for TTV , dont know if posted before, hope it helps, H

http://www.autostuudio.ee/tooted.html?page...ct_id=8980

Post #99436126th Oct 2012 1:01 am
Mr flibble

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Well after many failed attempts to get the heater running. I had another go last week.

I took the fuel pipe off the heater and did a prime ( puts fresh fuel into the pipe ).

Then reconnected pipe to heater and pumped fuel in at 5 hz for 15 seconds.
As you can imagine, this put a lot of fuel in (relatively speaking). Then I put the glow plug on 100 % for 3 min.

At this time, there was quite a bit of smoke from the air in. I put the glow plug on for another 3 mins. started to hear popping from the heater. not loud, but you could tell the fuel was burning. Ran a test fire, and all the time the fuel pump was running, I blew HARD down the air intake as much as I could until it shut down again.
I repeated the process a couple more times, then wonders happened. the heater didnt shut down and did a full burn. here are some vids I got. the last one is showing you the readouts from the webasto software from start to full power burn.

Marco, you are correct, you cannot adjust the CO2 until you are in full burn mode. I made the CO2 adjusted so that I got the best reading on the flame detector ( hottest )

As you can see, tonnes of smoke were produced and this continued for ages.

Now, the heater fires up first time and burns cleanly.

So happy, you can imagine. I was quoted £150 from a local garage to take the heater off and de-coke it, but with a bit of perserverence, I got it done myself.

I now intend to run the software at least once a month to keep fresh fuel in the pipe and the chamber clean and coke free. the OBD connector is in the engine bay permenatly, with the usb routed through into the cabin so can be done easily.

Post #100389315th Nov 2012 6:55 pm
marco 110

Quote:
Marco, you are correct, you cannot adjust the CO2 until you are in full burn mode. I made the CO2 adjusted so that I got the best reading on the flame detector ( hottest )

Yep , and , first time , I had make a mistake : put too low value , and after : my FHB never go.... Twisted Evil
 Marco.

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #100463016th Nov 2012 10:45 pm
Mr flibble

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

If you set the C2 too low, then you have it too fuel rich. Try blowing down the air intake pipe to increase the amount of air. Also try heating up the chamber as I did by running the glowplug for a long time. Else, you are gonna have to take a drive to the seaside to fire it up, then adjust while you are there.

While mine was burning off the crap in the chamber, I found that forcing the co2 setting up, helped keep the flame det reading higher, but this was only the case until the crap burnt out and she started to burn cleanly.

Keep trying.

Post #100507918th Nov 2012 12:17 am
ruggedpeak

Quick question - is the USB-OBD2 cable an adaptor cable or an interface?

There are cheap USB and serial OBD2 cables on oobay for less than £10 - with they work with a laptop and Webasto software, or does it need to an interface cable?

UPDATE - can I use the OBD2-serial cable that came with my Faultmate FCR or is that FCR specific?

Thanks.
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #100896225th Nov 2012 4:10 pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I was close to buy the OBDII cable as well, but I saw this picture and it worked for me Very Happy Of course you need 1533 or GSM controller for that but unlocked my Webasto Thumbs Up

Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #100897025th Nov 2012 4:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 21 of 38 <123 ... 202122 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >