Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

tyres for 18 inch rims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

correct size - there is nothing available in an AT or MT for 18" rims; there are some for 17" rims; oversize at >32" is available for 18" rims in Cooper ST or STT - Ideally I'd like somethiung in a 31".

cheers
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #991356th Nov 2006 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

31" would be nice except for the possible insurance issues. In QLD it is only permissable to increase the tyre size by 15mm. THE OEM tyres are 30" (762 mm) therefore the largest "legal" tyre is 777mm or 30.6". I guess the extra 0.4" would not be an issue.
I am after a solid AT or "quieter" MT. I am not into forever changing wheels and tyres. I already an additional 18" wheel as a spare and would not like to purchase another 6 off 17" rims and tyres.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #991466th Nov 2006 1:19 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I am looking for the same, OEM tyres are crap; did a sidewall in a curb, opened it up like a surgeon's knife! Shocked The grip is also poor but I do't want to go for too harsh a tread as you have to travel on the tar to get off road.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #993026th Nov 2006 9:28 pm
Haggis

I am in the same position as Desert Traveller, I have an additional spare 18" rim. I did this in the hope that eventually the tyre manufacturers would catch up - it now seems unlikely that they will in time for me to replace the OE tyre. I really don't want to buy another highway tyre.

In addition:
1. The NSW RTA won't allow an oversize of more than 15mm without what amounts to an engineers certificate. Someone has done the oversize Cooper STT (285/70R18?) on this forum and found that it fouls on the inner rear guard under extreme articulation with a load. That is enough for the NSW RTA to not allow sign-off. Therefore providing the insurance industry with a perfect excuse....

2. I don't want to go undersize.

3. Load rates are an issue (must be minimum 112), and most of the so called replacement tyres don't cut it.

4. The importers of Coopers and Mickey Thompson have indicated there are no plans for a right specification tyre.

5. Land Rover seem to be generally dismissive of the problem.

I'm thinking I need to take Jamo's lead and get a second set... I thought the days were past years ago when I needed to own a bush set and a road set of tyres....
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #993477th Nov 2006 12:28 am
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have noted the discussion concerning tyres in the Maintenance and Modification Header and Auxilliary Fuel Tank thread.

It is all becoming very interesting - Is it possible to move the tyre discussion responses from the other thread into the one heading??

Notwithstanding, apart from one mention in the other section has anyone fitted Cooper HT Plus 265/60R18 114 tyres??

I have corresponded with Cooper and this is the tyre they recommend for my use.

I will have to make a decision soon as the current tyres are due for replacement in the very near future (only 32K on the current set).

How will this tyre fit into the rules for NSW RTA???

Regards

Post #993677th Nov 2006 3:57 am
Haggis

Retired Bob,
Assuming you have an SE with 18" rims and 255/60R18 112V tyres now, then 265/60R18 114 should be OK. Here is the thinking:

a) 265 v 255, a whole 10mm wider (and it may not even be that as there are no standards as to where/how to measure this)

b) same aspect ratio (60), but a wider tyre, so it should be a little taller. The Goodyear Wrangler OE is 763mm, the Cooper you are considering is 772mm a difference of 9mm and within the NSW RTA requirements.

c) Load rating of 114 v 112, again the RTA will approve since the rating is better than the original. (FYI 114 = 1180kgs)

d) The last thing to consider is the speed rating. The OE tyre is V rated (240km/h), and the RTA will let you reduce the speed rating to N (140km/h). The tyre fitter is supposed to install a warning sticker in view of the driver in the case that new tyres are a lower speed rating than that specified on the placard. You are not supposed to exceed the speed indicated by the fitter as he hands you the keys. I have never seen this sticker fitted. I have asked a couple of fitters and the response is generally along the lines of: Yeah we have them somewhere.

If you want to read the entire RTA document you can find it here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...9_rev4.pdf
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #994527th Nov 2006 12:21 pm
RetiredBob

Thanks Haggis

The speed rating for the HT Plus is S (180K) so shouldn't have any trouble.

Have just had a look at the Tyre Plate located on the front door. It recommends that speed rating should not be less than 'H'.

I also noticed that one of the recommended sizes is 235/65/R 18 110 M+S. To date I have not been able to find anything on the web suitable.

Post #996757th Nov 2006 10:54 pm
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dear Haggis,

Have you every weighed the disco, with full gear loaded, and fuel with the extras you now have on the disco.

I would be interested to know the weight on the front and rear axles

terry

Post #997308th Nov 2006 4:04 am
Haggis

RetiredBob,
The placard also says (in the next block down) something to the effect that if off-road tyres are fitted then you should not exceed the speed rating of that tyre. The NSW RTA VSI9 pretty much says the same thing except it sets a minimum of 140km/h rated tyres.

I've made my choice and have just ordered (a set of six) 17 X 7 Performance Alloy 'Lotus' rims, and Cooper STT Armatek 245/70R17 119Q to suit. These will be used for the outback trips and the OE 18" rims for around town. The new wheels/tyres fit all the regulations and are so close to the outside dimensions of the OE Wrangler (255/60R18) that most people won't notice (the tread pattern will probably give them away though Confused )

Performance Alloys currently have 2 suitable rim styles. The Lotus and the BB-6 (which Jamo has from memory). Even with 17" rims the tyre choice is limited if you want to stay legal in NSW and have strong tyres. I selected the Cooper STT because it seems to have all the latest technology in terms of compounds for chip/tear resistance and a 'not quite radial' ply for strength.

trm,
No I haven't (done a weigh in), but I can tell you that the auto leveling still auto levels with the full load. I noticed on the recent top end trip that the vehicle is hard on rear tyres. Some of this will be the load and some of it seems to be a characteristic of Land Rovers. Both my earlier Discos (series 1) were also heavy on rear tyres. You have probably noticed that Land Rover also specifies significantly higher tyre pressures for the rear. I would estimate an additional 70kg on front and 250kg on the rear with full tanks.

My only critism would be that it feels under-damped in the rear on anything other than smooth surfaces. The load certainly wouldn't help this situation. It seems some of the local 4X4 scribes have also commented they feel the air suspension is under damped at the rear with a load. It also occurs to me that it could be considered a preference rather than a fault. One thing for sure: I had a much easier time of the corrugations than the other vehicles with me due to the long travel and suppleness of the air suspension.
Post #1000519th Nov 2006 5:27 am
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Haggis,

thanks for the response.

I have been using the Disco to help tow my trailer for some home gardening activities, and find its ability to pull the trailer weighing in around 2,000 kgs to 2,300 kgs with no problems, on stability, braking, and across rough roads etc

terry

Post #1000689th Nov 2006 9:33 am
RetiredBob

Thanks Haggis

Am off to Melbourne in the next couple of days to have the Kaymar carriers and Longranger tank fitted.

Will keep you advised

Post #1002809th Nov 2006 8:43 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The towing capability of the D3 is amazing. I tow a 2t boat and compared with the D2, I hardly notice anymore - hey, it's still there, still a heavy boat, but the finesse of handling, even with something that heavy on the back is quite amazing.

ALl the best with your additions!

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1002949th Nov 2006 9:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hammer

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It was great to read all the history on tyres. Same old sad story about lack of options..... Found this site last week with the sole purpose of finding an off-road option for the OEM Wranglers (destroyed one in Flinders - see very first blog under campervan topic).

RIMS: Been doing some investigation myself about rims, and have found some aftermarket 17inch steel ones. Tried `Performance' as per prior correspondence, only to notice afterwards it was in Sydney. Anyway, Performance something in Melb said ring Eastern something, and Eastern something said ring Dynamic 4x4 (aka. the Simex and General tyre importers mentioned elsewhere). Good news was 17 x 7inch steel rim had been available for about one month for Disco 2's and the guy (Chris Hummer of Outback Challenge fame) had not tested one on a Disco 3. Dropped around and fitted them to front and rear. Missed front caliper by about 4mm and rear by about 10mm. Offset is 30P, but with one inch less of width, I think that makes the offset 42.5mm (half of the one less inch??). Anyway, Dynamic sell through many tyre dealers, and the retail is about $130 each. Have not heard of any cheaper option. They come in metallic silver, and it looks OK against the Zermatt. Have not bought them yet as thought I'd investigate tyres first.

TYRES: As per prior correspondence, there is jack all options out there. Wanted an All-terrain (like 80:20), but Coopers is 110S (say no more, Haggis has covered it!). Tried every website of tyre manufacturers in Australia, and down to the 245/70 R17 Cooper ST or STT. This is where I need some advice. Word on the street seems to be:

ST: noisy, tread prone to chipping and breaking
STT: Have not heard too many negatives, and note Armortek seems like a newer technology.

I plan to go away for 4 months next year (towing camper van) up the NT and QLD. Split will be about 10,000km's onroad, 5,000kms offroad. Concerns: if I go STT, do I really need them that aggressive, and will they hum all the way? Going from a 100:0 (the HP's) to a 20:80 seems a bit over the top. Also plan to do High Country (with tent) and other such trips. I probably need the STT for that. Reviews on the ST and STT's are welcome. Haggis (Grand Poobah of all matters tyre) - how are the STT's? Any recommendations of Melb dealer with good Coopers prices will be well received.

Post #10255717th Nov 2006 1:14 pm
Desert Traveller

The lastest regarding the AT2. I received the following
Quote:
" i have just had contact with the factory, and that tyre will not be in production until January 07. Therefore, i won't see it here until around march/April 2007
regards,
chris
Dynamic Tyres
Sime Tyres, General Tire, Dynamic Wheels
2/28 Sydney Rd, Bayswater, VIC 3153"

I have just damaged 2 HPs and I will not be able to wait until April. I am therefore very interested in feedback on 17" Coopers.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #10276818th Nov 2006 12:41 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Why do we have to go through this?

I pick up my new SE D3 in three weeks. When signing on the dotted line I agonised for ages about wheel sizes and tyres. In the end I asked to have the standard 18" rims replaced with the 17" from the "S" model.

I will be fitting BFG All terrains (265/70R17) and frankly I don't know, nor do I care if these are legal. I have had such a good run with BFGs in the past that I cannot go without them. My last vehicle went through from new to being sold without me even knowing where the jack was!

My bitch is that we shouldn't have to go through all this heartache. Why can't Landrover have a few more wheel/tyre options so that both softroaders and offroaders can get the right wheel/tyre combination for their needs?

I nearly didn't buy the Landrover purely because of this rubbish! Mad
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #10277518th Nov 2006 4:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >