Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

tyres for 18 inch rims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Chris - if you keep looking at the pic on the web site - you'd be even more concerned - the pic shows 6 stud/nut holes Wink

So the pic is for illustrative purposes only - and I believe that the wheel centre is standard size fitting snugly onto the D3.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #11965215th Jan 2007 3:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I've got a set of six of the Dynamic wheels and Cooper STT, much better than the OE Good Year Wranglers off the road. Noisier (as you would expect) and more 'squirm' under braking. And they look fine. The outside diameter is very close to the OE 255/60R18 which for me was improtant. All other specifications add up (load ratings, speed ratings, offset, etc)

I do, however, have one problem. Between tyres and wheels there is unacceptable runout which is causing vibrations and steering wobble. The dealer is looking after the problem and is currently working out if the problem is tyres or wheels or both with both manufacturers.

Regards
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #12339624th Jan 2007 4:40 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

interesting comments Haggis. I'd appreciate knowing how you get on?
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #12339724th Jan 2007 5:43 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I don't have the steel wheels but I certainly can say the alloy aftermarket wheels I have don't have wheel balance problems. Sure you will notice large weights added to the rims to balance the Coopers but wheel imbalance is not that noticable. I've had both ST and STT's on my D3 and both were fine.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #12339924th Jan 2007 5:52 am
sbarnham

Australia 

To those with 17" and larger than OEM tyres (eg 245/70R17 or 265/70R17) have you found any problems with rubbing, speedo inaccuracy, or the like ?

Seems to me that 245/70R17 would be better as they are only 10mm wider, 14mm larger diameter ... only 1.8% bigger by my calculations.

The 265/70R16 are 5.5 % bigger, 42mm larger diameter, 30mm wider (which is significant on top of extra diameter).

Experience shown anything, especially offroad and with full articulation with air suspension ?

Basically I can't find any 235/70R17 tyres except the non-LT Cooper ATR.

It seems I can get the following for 17" in 245/70/R17:

- Cooper ST & STT
- Pirelli Scorpion ATR
- Mickey Thompson ATZ

General Grabber AT2 are in 265/65/R17 and the BFG AT and Wrangler MTR are only 265/70/R17 which I am worried is too big.

Scott
 New MY15 TDv6 D4 in Buckingham Blue

Previously 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue
- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Previously 1999 TD5 in Blenheim Silver 

Post #24289710th Jan 2008 10:55 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Been a bit slack on providing un update on this situation Confused

In the end the Dynamic steel wheels had to go, runout was unsolvable. I now use a Mullins/CSA alloy - Explorer Platinum. I understand this wheel is also out of production in this specific size (17X7), but it met all the requirements (load rating, offset, etc) without being exactly the same as the OE wheel. Essentially it is within NSW RTA specifications and exceeds the load parameters of the OE wheel. There are other designs from the same manufacturer that meet the size and specifications required for the D3.

These wheels are fitted up with the Cooper STT in 245/70R17 size. I selected these because they were the latest and greatest compound (chip resistant) and the size I wanted. I probably would of selected the Cooper ST-C if they were available in this size but they weren't at the time (the ST was).

I've done a couple of longish trips with these that included parts of the Anne Beadell Highway, across bits of the 'trackless' Nullabor, some beach work, outback gravel roads, mountain country, mud, deep ruts etc and the obligatory bitumen transit sections. Some of this included towing the TVan. They are a really good compromise, and are confidence inspiring, mostly because of their puncture resistance (v. the OE rubber), and they are a lower cost to boot! In sand they tend to dig in - even with very low pressures (down to 7lb/in2 in front ans 12ish in the rears), partly because of the load on top of an already heavy vehicle, their relative (to EO) narrow footprint and the agressive tread pattern. On road they are noisier, but not intrusive, and you need to remember to slow for the bends unless you like the stability control taking over (!).

I selected this size because it gave me an overall diameter as close as I could get to the OE setup and one that is certainly within NSW RTA allowances. They are a little narrower, but don't look undersize on the vehicle. As a result there is no rubbing. I have had them in use in all suspension settings (access to maximum extension) and with maximum across vehicle articulation (wheels hanging in the air to maximum compression). I have heard that the next size up does ocassionally rub on compression in the rear guards but have no experience of this.

I have had two of these tyres fail. The first I cut the sidewall in the Victorian Alps. The cut was radial, about 35mm long, and at least 3mm deep. The tyre was on the left rear (the hardest place for a tyre). I decided to leave it there until it failed - what's the point of having a spare that might fail as soon as you put it on. It lasted another ~5000km including Goog's track, the trackless Nullabor, Anne Beadell Highway, and eventually failed on the road from William Creek to Lake Eyre. It was only about 40 degrees and windy at the time - lovely! The other had a tread puncture and lost pressure slowly, so slowly that I didn't notice until the radial plies gave way (heat) and the tyre collapsed. My 'fault' completely both times.

Tread wear is good, chips and cuts are minimal (managing tyre pressures is very important). I have no idea of the mileage of done on these but when I purchased them I reckoned I would get a couple of years out of them before replacement. For me this means an annual trip of ~10000km into the outback, and what ever else I can get away with (mostly mountains on the east coast, and the ocassional long weekend into the close outback), as often as I can. I reckon we'll get three years out of them before we give up on them, and even then they will pass a roadworthy but will be getting low on tread depth.

Am I happy? Extremely.

Regards
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #2572359th Feb 2008 1:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >