Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Would you Turbochip if it was cheaper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Would you have your D3 chipped if it was 50% cheaper?
Yes, Definitely
39%
 39%  [38]
Very Likely
26%
 26%  [25]
Unsure
7%
 7%  [7]
Not Very Likely
2%
 2%  [2]
No, Definitely Not
2%
 2%  [2]
Already chipped at normal price
7%
 7%  [7]
Price isn't the issue
15%
 15%  [15]
Total Votes: 96

gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Would you Turbochip if it was cheaper

Turbochip costs £595 + vat for a TDV6 auto with a 10% discount is given to Disco3.co.uk members.

Have you or will you get Turbochip at this cost and it not would you if it was 50% cheaper.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #4926922nd Mar 2006 11:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Poll added

Presumably the results of this should be directed towards JEE as well as TC

Si

Post #4927222nd Mar 2006 11:39 am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Im having mine done by J.E.E soon Laughing Laughing
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #4927622nd Mar 2006 11:56 am
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Surely the statement that selling for 50% less and achieving twice the sales would equal same profit (on original thread) assumes that 100% of current selling price is profit, which clearly it isn't.
I think that the current pricing models for the various chipping companies are fair. Don't forget that as a percentage of total ownership, those willing to go the chip route is quite small, and cost is only one factor in that decision.
Speaking as somebody that's been building tuned cars for years, the cost per bhp for these chips is actually very good value for money IMHO.

Si.

Post #4927722nd Mar 2006 11:58 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

for me the issue isn't actually the cost of TC, more the warranty and insurance greyness, maybe if we had an idea of TC or JE friendly LR dealers then it might be an easier decision?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4929222nd Mar 2006 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

blue meanie wrote:
for me the issue isn't actually the cost of TC, more the warranty and insurance greyness, maybe if we had an idea of TC or JE friendly LR dealers then it might be an easier decision?

Very good point - I agree.

Post #4929622nd Mar 2006 1:03 pm
JMC

Scotland 

This is a RIDICULOUS topic. Twisted Evil

How about a new poll? Would you buy a D3 HSE if it cost £5, or a house in London for £1000. Would you buy more heinz beans if they were 15p a tin?

It is the fool who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing (Wilde).

The TC costs what it costs and that's business. How about putting it up to £1000 and selling half as many - same profit, more exclusivity, half the work for the tuner.

Someone needs a course in business if you ask me. gavmurray, are you working in the public sector by any chance?? Wink

Post #4929822nd Mar 2006 1:06 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

"Price isn't the issue" option added
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4930022nd Mar 2006 1:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think this will basically show how many members are considering it but can't or won't pay the current price. Everyone has their own criteria

Hey, maybe TC or JE will see how many are interested and say if you all pay in advance and turn up at X location on Y date you can have your half price mod Confused

Post #4930722nd Mar 2006 1:18 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
"Price isn't the issue" option added

Martin, can you take my vote out of 'already done' and add it to the new option..... A Scotsman who isn't looking for something cheap!! Whatever next. Wink

Post #4930822nd Mar 2006 1:20 pm
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
Someone needs a course in business if you ask me. gavmurray, are you working in the public sector by any chance?? Wink

Nope. just trying to get this at a cheaper price. And the more people I can show that will buy this if it's cheaper the better chance I'll have.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #4931222nd Mar 2006 1:29 pm
SN

I think its a fair question - £630 is a big wodge of cash.

There are a number of things to take into account when asking the question "is it a fair price?". And I believe in paying a fair price for a product! (which is why I would never buy one of those 9p tins of beans or £5 kettles from Tescos - somebody is getting screwed)

From the suppliers (TC) point of view - he has cost overheads (initial research & development, labour costs, materials, etc etc). Then he has to make a living. I have no idea the scale of any of those things and am not going to make a comment on it.

From a purchasers (us) point of view - what are we getting for out money. Two things, as far as I can see; a performance boost (difficult to quantify in ca$h terms) and an mpg improvement (easier).

I'm getting a miserable 21mpg at the moment - if chipping gives me another 5mpg then my fuel bill becomes 80% of what it is at the moment.

Working on my 12000 mile contract - 36000 miles (at 92p litre, £4.18 a gallon) will cost me £7166 without TC and only £5788 with TC - a £1400 difference Shocked Confused - OK so now I have my business case to take to the CFO... err... SWMBO - even only doing 6000 miles a year makes it worthwhile....
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4931322nd Mar 2006 1:30 pm
k1w1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with Gav. The question was always either going to be posed by someone like him or by TC themselves wondering about their pricing policy. I'd get it done if it was cheaper, but I'm sure the people who have already done it and paid the "normal" price won't be too happy.

Their market may have reached a plateau, or is slowing, in the D3 area. Or they may be about to release a new uprated version (to be applied on top of existing software), and want to increase the market footprint as much as possible before releasing it. Just a guess.

Post #4931522nd Mar 2006 1:34 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I've been watching this post with intererst.

We havent reached a plateau at all....in fact we have just agreed a group deal to supply 1000 LR engine upgrades as an 'in house' tuning solution for a LR franchise group.

Our product is not the cheapest nor is it the most expensive. JE is more expensive than us, DMS charge £900 for less bhp than us! Overfinch use Superchips software and charge you £650 for the pleasure when you could go to Schips direct for £200 less (and for only 36bhp!!!)

I suppose it boils down to consumer choice.

Right, I'll step back out of the arena Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #4933222nd Mar 2006 2:54 pm
philtb

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had a merc ml270 chipped, think it was superchipped cant be sure. to be honest i didn't really notice much of a difference. it may have pulled a bit better it may have had better mpg, but in the end i didn't but that car or my d3 to be quick (when i get it). If i had wanted speed i wouldn't have sold the m3 and got one.

i have always been dubious about figures related to performance increases by 'chipping' especially if they also claim greater fuel efficiency and no more strain on components. However some manufactures do produce awful maps for there cars, my lotus elise was a classic example. with that though i junked the origional ecu and got a fully programmable one fitted and mapped on a dyno. Although i had fitted direct to head throttle boddies, bigger valves, a ported head, some wildish cams, removed the cat and fitted an exahust with a siliencer can smaller than some motorbikes, so it needed it.

dont think im going to do that to the disco mind.......ah the good old days when tinkering with engines meant tools, pullys, chains, oil and grease not removing acres of plastic and plugging in your laptop.

Think i'll pop down the lock up and see if i can get the humber started after its winter hibernation.

Post #4936922nd Mar 2006 4:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >