Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Is the new discos a lemon?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Is the new discos a lemon?

Is the new discos a lemon? I am about to plunk down some hard earned (and some inherited cash) for a LR3...I meet the dealer in April to arrange purchasing the vehicle..but i cannot for the life of me escape some of the horror stories I’ve read on this and other forums from the US to Australia to the UK...A friend of mine just bought a 2006 Toyota Prado and where i live they are a dime a dozen. Its way to big for my liking, there might be some issues with body roll and i want something different after owning a 4 runner TD (1998) for the last couple of years. But the prados are nearly bullet proof. I mean i did a search online for LR3 troubles/ problems..and did the same for the Toyota Prado. Of course you guessed it..Prado's only problem seems to be the price..the LR3 suspension, brake problems, electronic stuff too numerous to mention, being fixed > 3 times but still reoccurring, cars dying on motor ways/highways after a few thousand km or miles, people picking them up for the first day and limping home. You look at user reviews for the UK spec Prado not one complaint. You do the same for LR3, 1 in 3 owner has a complaint..The same with LR3 user opinion on MSN auto. That is a bit high... Even the guys from auto express had a slight albeit easily rectifiable suspension problem after using it for a year… Consumer report in the US gave the new discovery (along with a host of other European suv's) their worst reliability ratings...I mean i really want it but want something running for the next 5 years hassle free...I'm a uni professor i get enough hassle from my students and i don't need it from a car i hope to take me out into the field...The only other hassle I have that might be reoccurring is easily fixed (my gurl friend). Is the disco just a big fat piece of yellow lemon? Is there any way we can get an unofficial lemon: bullet proof vest ratio? To advise poor confused salivating individuals like me? Or do I have to stick my toe in the water and hope its warm enough to swim? Knowing my luck with things, mine might not make it out of the garage….Please advise….

Post #4786315th Mar 2006 8:11 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The choice is yours but I'm sure you'll find just as many 'horror' stories for other vehicles on their related owner websites. It's human nature to moan about things and hardly mention the good times.

My D3 is almost a year old now and has been great, I've had a few issues all of which have been resolved under warranty, none of which has made me regret my decision to buy it in the least. It's impeccable on road, almost unstoppable off road, does everything I could possibly want from it and then some.
In short, I love it and I think you'll find 99% of owners feel the same about their D3 Very Happy

Post #4786715th Mar 2006 8:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I agree, mines been very good for 40000 miles in 16 months. I had a suspension failure early on, but the dealer fixed it after 3 attempts. The only recent issue that is not yet fixed is a noisy park brake, but thats not a show stopper for me.

I see lots of D3's on the road now, and there is a common factor emerging - The VAST majority of Discovery 3 drivers are suffering from an uncontrollable urge to grin profusely. It is incurable, and no warranty will ever sort it out. You have to live with it. The End.

Post #4786815th Mar 2006 8:31 pm
Piero

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It is a well known fact that Toyotas are more reliable than Land Rovers and in fact more reliable than any other vehicle on the road. But park a Prado or Land Cruiser next to my Disco and there is no comparison in overall presence, and that's before you even drive it which is where it really excels!

No other vehicle can offer so much to so many people, it has such a wide scope of abilities, mine has had one niggle but I am 100% certain I made the right decision buying the Disco3.
 2006 TDV6 SE
Buckingham Blue/Alpaca
Privacy Glass
Adaptive Xenons
19 Inch Alloys 

Post #4787215th Mar 2006 8:39 pm
JLMARTIN

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Re: Is the new discos a lemon?

kpmclaren wrote:
Or do I have to stick my toe in the water and hope its warm enough to swim? Knowing my luck with things, mine might not make it out of the garage….Please advise….

Took the plunge and ordered an HSE due next May. Parents owned a Discovery back in 1996 when we all drove on it from Madrid to NordKap. Not a single problem. That is my only real-life experience with LRs.

Obviously, you might not see that many positive posts around, and there are no guarantees that yours (or mine Sad) will be "bullet-proof"--is there such a thing, though?

In this site you will find tons of advice and support from some very nice people, so I am sure you will get some experienced owners cheer you on to be a D3 owner and respond to all sort of technical questions before you actually write the check.

Way I see it, all you can do is hold your breath and buy the finest piece of equipment you and your pockets like. I for one, believe I made the best choice. Will let you know next May... Until then, I´ll be praying to the Solighull gods....

Smile
 JL Martin
2006 TDV6 HSE Tonga Green/Alpaca (used to be LRTuned) 

Post #4787315th Mar 2006 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We took a big financial plunge to get the D3 as a long term family car.

9 months in - no regrets. A couple of minor issues easily resolved. No need to say any more!
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4787515th Mar 2006 8:56 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi kpmclaren, if you are genuine and it doesn’t really sound like it, but if you are, you will quickly learn that LR owners, unlike toyota owners, are very honest about their vehicles and will tell you about anything that goes wrong and this is usually done as much as a bitching session as a warning to other LR owners to be aware of what ever the problem is so they can prevent it.

Whereas, if you talk to any toyota owner and they will tell you their vehicle is “ bullet proof “.

The strange thing about your post is that you said you looked at posts in Australia. You obviously didn’t look to hard at either LR or toyota posts here otherwise you would have seen some of the problems new toyota owners are having with their “ bullet proof “ vehicles.

Up until about 2 or so years ago, toyota’s biggest selling point was that they were reliable. This is most definitely not the case now. The number of toyota owners posting info on LR sites about how unreliable their new toy is, is growing and they are usually on the LR sites to get honest comparisons and have a bitch.

The most common problems seem to be blown engines on some toyota models and stuffed front diffs on all models AND problems getting them repaired under warranty. I might add that the complains about toyotas are not just coming from individual owners but from companies that have been using toyotas for years but have now had a gut full of the new unreliable work vehicles.

LR have always been heaps better off road than any toyota but the D3 is miles ahead of everything and again, if you had genuinely been reading post from all over the world, you would already be aware of that.

In Australia we get posts like kpmclaren’s on a regular basis and if he is so interested in getting a new D3 why has he done nothing but run it down while at the same time telling us how “ bullet proof “ toyotas are.

All sound a bit sus.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4788215th Mar 2006 9:19 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Runing it down

Well put. 8)
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #4788315th Mar 2006 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

would a 'uni professor' write about his 'gurl friend' in language a 15 year old would use. hmmmmm amber Rolling Eyes troll ALERT Rolling Eyes

<moderator comment: U is next to I on the keyboard>
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4788415th Mar 2006 9:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Give the guy a chance to respond, and lets not make it personal. Cheers 8)

Post #4789015th Mar 2006 9:43 pm
kpmclaren

ok who am I links:

www.rufford.org/rsg/Projects/KurtMcLaren.html
www.mona.uwi.edu/lifesciences/lecturers/staff.htm
www.mona.uwi.edu/fpas/advisors1.htm
www.cockpitcountry.com/wrcprojects.html

should i continue?

Disco problems: US in order: consumer report, msn Auto, et al..
http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023544
http://autos.msn.com/research/userreviews/...elid=11934
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
http://www.haveyoursay.com/

Australia: The other aussie site isn't working so great so i'll send you the link when i can.....
http://www.aulro.com//modules.php?name=News&new_topic

UK
http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=678

UK Prado (count the number of bad reviews)
http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=571

UK Auto express:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/long_term_tes...6_hse.html

Where i plan to buy my landie?
http://www.drivetimeleasing.co.uk/GetDeale...p;pageid=1

If this doesn't convince you, do a google search on LR3 problems and Prado problems and look at the feedback if you don't believe...I'm a researcher by nature and rest assured I tend to find most if not all of what i want online because i have to source in most cases obscure equipment for my many projects (and i can give you links to what i have reviewed myself if you want)...So do you now understand my concern?

So i am very thankful for the advice I do get and will make up my mind within the next two weeks when i travel to the UK to make my purchase..Do you even need by flight itinerary...not everyone who comes here seeking help is full of BS some of us do have serious concerns about spending anything over 30k.....
Kurt

Post #4790615th Mar 2006 10:05 pm
SN

You pays your money and you make your choice. You should absolutely research something you are going to spend £30K on. Since almost every forum member is a Disco 3 owner who loves them, problems or not, I would suggest that a posting entitled "Is the Disco3 a lemon?" is a bit provocative. Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4791515th Mar 2006 10:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Kurt, don't take anything you read on here personally, you have done your research and who would'nt when spending this much money.

If you are looking for reassurance about the brand, then I will personally say that the D3 is a fantastic car. Land Rovers have something about them, I cannot describe it, but until you have experienced it, you will not understand. There are faults, as in any car, the dealers seem to be the biggest flaw in the brand, but they are improving in my experience.

You really should make sure the dealer network in Jamaica is up to scratch before committing. If they are not then you could have a problem.

Good Luck and I hope you reach the right decision For You

Post #4791815th Mar 2006 10:15 pm
kpmclaren

So just look for the name if you can..but this isn't suspect fellows i really need help deciding on buying this thing..it was a toss up between the VW toureg.. i test drove it, its ok but it lacks boot and rear seat space..prado is too big, i don't like the XC 90..I would update to a new 4 runner/ hilux surf but a) they don't make them in diesels anymore, b) plus i cannot get a manual shift anymore and c) i would have to get a 'grey import' from the japaneese domestic market.... they have replaced them in my parts with the fortuner..which i don't like..Landie has my full attention but i wanna make a purchase that makes sense....Jamaica is a hilly country and i do navigate some of the worst roads with a double cab hilux pick up (which nearly slid off a 50 ft cliff cos it lacked any traction, power or off road ability) to go one of my reseach sites i.e. the blue mountains..nowadays you can only get a defender (which i had but now sold) or the old lancruisers fj 70? to get up there on rainy days (and it always rains) hence my interest in the disco..But unlike most who buy it..its not for fetching the kids..and the last thing i want to do is to be stuck by some hill side (with a 100 ft drop below) because of a failing suspension..and where no wreakers can reach..and the nearest garage is some 400 km away..or 4000 meters down slope.... and i am very sure i have done more off roading than most in some of the worst conditions...so please give me a break...

Post #4792815th Mar 2006 10:24 pm
kpmclaren

Gareth the local landie dealer says that they can support it..they sell UK spec landies here...

Post #4793215th Mar 2006 10:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >