Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Is the new discos a lemon?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
drivesafe

Australia 

qzdcg8 wrote:
Since almost every forum member is a Disco 3 owner who loves them, problems or not, I would suggest that a posting entitled "Is the Disco3 a lemon?" is a bit provocative. Confused

Exactly my argument.

If somebody else was looking at buying a D3 and came to the site and saw that, well nothing more can be said IF it was genuine.

And as for the site in Australia. The AULRO site has a number of toyota owner’s postings on it, telling of the problems they are having with their new toyotas and how some of them are now regretting NOT buying a D3.

I believe in trying to see both sides of a story but this one is definitely one sided ( or should that be one eyed ) and for someone so supposedly keen on getting a D3, sure doing a lot of ranting about how good toyotas use to be. Question
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4793315th Mar 2006 10:28 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's not just about research on the net.

I like you did a fair bit before even setting foot in a dealers showroom, due to that research my first visit was to a Volvo dealer, I was given a 3 day test drive in an XC90. I found the XC90 to be a very nice car but nice was as far as it got, the quality was excellent but it was BORING.

Also what most reviews don't tell you is that the XC90 drinks diesel, spins the front wheels when you need a quick getaway, the sat nav is terrible.

After dropping off the XC90 I jumped in my year old Freelander (which never gave me a moments trouble by the way) and drove straight to a LR dealer.
I was given an S D3 auto that had been totally abused over 8000 miles as a courtesy car, to have for " a couple of hours".

5 minutes of driving the D3 I was sold!

You can always pick up negatives from the internet, I too have had some problems with mine and have posted those troubles here but at the end of the day THE CAR IS PURE CLASS, I love driving it and for me there is nothing else that gets close to it at the moment. Posts with paragraphs like this last one should also be read and digested.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #4793415th Mar 2006 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Like I say, whats the dealer network like in Jamaica?

Sounds a great job by the way Wink The D3 would be well up to the job.

A lot of the problems you mention are known issues, which any dealer worth his salts would be able to sort out first time. There are plenty of horror stories that are really caused by inept dealers making the wrong diagnosis of problems.

This is where this website should be of comfort, as we have collectively solved a lot of them. Land Rover do watch this site.

Post #4793615th Mar 2006 10:31 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The way I see the original question is more like "is the D3 going to be reliable and dependable enough for me to use in the remote locations I need to drive to and in?"

I'm sure we can all relate to that and give genuine and helpful advice Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4793815th Mar 2006 10:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Get them to lend you one for an extended test.

Post #4794215th Mar 2006 10:34 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

One more point, I think you will find that the D3 is bigger than the prado, it certainly has a longer wheel base.

The prado size is just an optical elusion and like comparing the size of the land cruiser to a MkIII RR. The cruiser looks bigger until you see it parked beside a new Range Rover, the Range Rover is huge compered to the little cruiser.

And if you don’t believe me, check them out next time your at a shopping centre. Idea
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4794515th Mar 2006 10:37 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Guys chill....size i'm concerned about is height..not length...i have to navigate under fallen trees every now and again..i own two toyotas..a double cab pick up 4 x 4 the works and the four runner 30L TDI..So i know what to expect...plus my close friend has a prado, my head of department has one..hell pretty much 40% of my friends own them so i get first hand experience from them to date....so i am talking as an informed toyota man..wanting a discovery..nuthing wrong with playin devils advocate...provocative questions gets good answers..like its doing now...so relax winston (from lock stock for those of you who can remember).. But i'll join back up with this discussion later i havve to pick up sis from the airport..and fyi not all lecurers/professor are stuff...i'm still young so i can behave like a 15 yr old..thank you...
if you want to know my other concerns read the hgh sulphur diesel i sarted that discussion..again for information sake....

Post #4794715th Mar 2006 10:45 pm
kpmclaren

i am going in the field in a week or two so if you want i can post some of the pics where i have to traverse, then you'll understand... and believe you me it nuthing most of you have ever been on in your entire life or will ever be on....and i might even throw in the cliff my pick up nearly fell off of for good measure..if you guys r good....

Post #4795515th Mar 2006 10:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Please do! we like scary pics Shocked

Post #4795615th Mar 2006 10:58 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

put some photos of JA on your gallery - I spent a short time there about 9 years back as I used to have some in laws out there (well as far as I know they are still there but they aren't my in laws anymore!). They lived up in Soho district and I had great fun driving a shagged out Volvo 240 auto all the round the island (and it was missing one gear as well). The journey I remember most is going to Bath spa via some country lanes from Soho district ... decidedly dodgy roads with fallen trees everywhere beside a valley.

But I digress , but I can see why a disco would be great out there.

I had the same doubts about reliability etc, and did my research on here in Dec. I bought mine in the end and it has been good so far, with 4000 miles notched up in 3 months. I did a survey about reliability and I found about 33% had no problems, about 35% had a few but resolved, and then the remainder had a few more serious issues but most were happy overall.

see this link http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2218&highlight=

Does that help?!

Post #4797115th Mar 2006 11:20 pm
kpmclaren

just what the doctor ordered....thanks very much....

Post #4800116th Mar 2006 1:11 am
kpmclaren

so its like i said from the reviews i read... about 1 in 3 had problems

Post #4800216th Mar 2006 1:14 am
JMC

Scotland 

Hi Prof! I just spent £40k on my D3 after reading all the posts here first. Like you, I am methodical (and hopefully logical) in my research. However, the one thing you may have missed is the 'feeling' you get from simply looking at one of these things in your driveway. You can only be subjective about this and it is certainly not a logical thing. The head will say a number of things (like Toyota) before D3, but the heart tells a different story. Nothing is perfect - just like a woman - but I wouldn't trade my D3 for a Toyota and I wouldn't swap my wife for Cindy Crawford...... well,...... perhaps just for a quick test drive!!! Laughing

Post #4800316th Mar 2006 1:15 am
kpmclaren

LOL yeah thanks very funny indeed i know what you mean saw one the other day..monday in fact after i called the dealer and he had some positives to say about pricing and when i went to the movies..and it screamed out BUY ME! Oh well it was more suttle..look how sexy i am...so i am gonna try. I have one year to romp with it if i can't handle the trouble just sell it and move on..at least i know i'll have u folks here to cry to if any thing goes wrong..thanks very much you all have been very helpful in helping another one avoid the dark side..so to become a jedi i must take the landrover test.....I must....

Post #4800616th Mar 2006 1:56 am
kpmclaren

subtle* pardon the j'can english...

Post #4800716th Mar 2006 2:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >