Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Is the new discos a lemon?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
lawman

kpmclaren wrote:
subtle* pardon the j'can english...

KP, my information may be a little out of date, but isn't Jamaican import duty on cars somewhere between 20 to 287% Shocked Maybe you get some kind of concession for the type of work you do? Wink

Post #4821116th Mar 2006 6:50 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
lookie here

they are all the same nomatter who makes them http://www.automotiveforums.com/ type in x5 and see

Post #4821816th Mar 2006 7:06 pm
chex

im pretty sure uni professors get tax free cars.

Post #4822216th Mar 2006 7:14 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

well I put out an amber troll alert because the title 'is the new disco a lemon' seemed a provocative title to me, and one or two others.

Everything one reads on the net and elsewhere needs a pinch of salt taken with it. Lots of people have an axe to grind, be it positive or negative. Some markets seem to be traditionally anti Land Rover, but they still sell loads of them there. Some people's idea of a flawed design is a particular switch they dont like the feel of and it starts from there. To me a lot of these D3 faults seem to be electrically related, there is a known fault with one of the block connectors behind the rear wheel arch, which has caused suspension problems on a lot of cars. Land Rover will HAVE to do a recall soon to get this sorted out, regetably this is not an isolated incident - I have a D2 and this has had 2 recalls. The Vauxhall I had before that had 2 also - one for a dangerous steering condition that was begining to occurr on my vehicle.
No matter what testing is done it seems once a vehicle goes out onto the roads in great numbers problems flare up. Just go and have a look at this AA recall table to see what horrors R&D by Joe Public has thrown up:
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

At the end of the day you have got to make your own decision, but if you are not near a LR dealer........

Some of the user reviews on the D3 are just pure comedy
: This lady seems to think it's unsuitable for the school run (!)

I have just taken delivery of this car. Initially it seemed OK, but as soon as I tried to park it, I experienced appalling problems. It is too wide and its boxy shape makes it impossible to park in anything but the widest space. It reduced me to tears when I could not see over the bonnet to see if I was going to hit the car next door.

I am well used to driving the old Discovery and have never experienced problems like this. Having finally parked the car no one could get out either side as the doors are so big you can't open them wide enough to get out without bashing the cars parked either side. It's a nightmare if you have children.

The car is also programmed to make an irritating pinging noise every time it goes into reverse, or if you open the doors, or raise or lower the suspension level. After my typical school run this morning, it had 'pinged' at me 20 times, making the journey I normally enjoy very stressful.

You can't get into the back seats if you fit a dog guard. The doors are heavy and difficult to shut. In the S model, the passenger seat does not raise at all so it is impossible to see over the dashboard. We have resorted to an assortment of cushions to try to make it more comfortable for passengers. The driver's seat does not raise high enough to allow me to see over the bonnet for parking.

This is the perfect car for the nanny state and should do well if you are fan of Tony Blair's Britain, if you are not I should steer well clear of it!
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4832017th Mar 2006 7:49 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Point well made and a great little story to follow... why would anyone buy a vehicle and not test drive it properly in the 1st place ?? She was obviously a twit.

The D3 is the easiest car I've ever driven to park... its square - BONUS - makes the corners easy to place. It bleeps at you all the time in reverse - BONUS - it stops you hitting little children, people that ALWAYS walk behind you as soon as you select reverse, and of course the thing your headed toward Wink

And to comment on the lemon thing... my 2 cents worth and posted similar many times on here and other sites is essentially this...

The D3 is very reliable... don't be swayed by all you read on the forums. Only bad news and issues tend to get posted on these types of sites. Its there nature.

As you can see below mine as well as MANY MANY others are running just fine thanks. And before you take your money to another manufacturer check out their enthusiast sites... bet you find they are reporting bad stuff and not stories of how wonderfully reliable it is.

Good news is unfortunately not interesting and NEVER gets debated. Bad news is debated to the Nth degree.

But hey... your choice. I made mine and after a year continue to be VERY happy.

cheers

Post #4833017th Mar 2006 8:08 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

lawman wrote:
kpmclaren wrote:
subtle* pardon the j'can english...

KP, my information may be a little out of date, but isn't Jamaican import duty on cars somewhere between 20 to 287% Shocked Maybe you get some kind of concession for the type of work you do? Wink

Yep you are nearly right..i get a duty concession but its 20% of any vehicle that costs 25,000 USD and under...Anything over and i have to pay the full duties on the extra amount (121% for diesels 2.5 - 3 L. For gas engines anything over 2.0L attracts a duty of 188%) so for example...for me a disco costing 24,000 pounds...thats around 42,131 usd..so for the first 25,000 USD i only pay 20% duties (or 5000 USD) + 17,131 (i.e. 42,131 -25,000)* 121 = 20,728 USD so my duties would be equal to 25,728 USD...So i would spend in total 42,131 + 25,728 = 67,895 (give or take a few dollars) USD or 38,000 pounds...for a 24,000 GBP car. It used to be as high as you mentioned..So i have to watch how much i spend or the cost could increase exponentially. So if it was a gas engine above 2.0L that 121 would be replaced by 188%. So someone had asked why don't i get a RR sport..well thats the reason..they cost 38,000 USD up so i might end up spending up to or greater than 60,000 pounds...
An RR with no concession costs 187,500 USD..and quite a few are here (106,807 pounds)..And these are prob regular RRs...

Post #4837817th Mar 2006 11:40 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

As i said i just wanted honest opinions..that’s all. I know enough about cars and their troubles to be worried and have decided that i would take a try...I drive long distances, the roads are crap as hell..and because of some of the places i go i don't want a particularly large vehicle as i said before but with off road prowess..i need something with road manners tired of driving something that feels like a truck..on windy roads that gets tiring...also body roll is a serious issue for me especially on our not so wonderful roads..I have spent a fortune on front end parts so the air suspension might be worth it..and as i said i have seen other forums but i am particularly interested in LR and want to know what i am up against hence the question..I would ask the same on any forum that deals with a car of interest..at least now i know what to expect and if it happens i know what to do to sort it out...and trust me if I had asked nicely i would get great answers i'm an apple (mcintosh) man and its the same thing we all praise the mac but fail to point out their faults if asked if it’s a good choice..this way you guys did give honest answers and i appreciate it..again..good or bad thanks i definitely know that its worth a try..thanks again...

Post #4838017th Mar 2006 11:55 pm
angrd020

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I'm still suffering from permagrin Very Happy after all this time. 6500 Miles so far and only a single error(Engine System Fault) about 4 months ago,(Ramming into a pile of snow so hard that my wife gave me a dirty look) once restarted, has never appeared again. My engine bay still has mud in it that is about 5 months old(keep forgetting about cleaning it out). I have taken the Rover off-road at least twice a month since purchased, and have the scratches and Wife's hands at the hip posture from brandishing my new war scars to prove it! The vehicle certainly serves many purposes extremely well. The D3 does so well off-road, I once ran quite a technical trail back to back with my Jeep, and no issues. Off-Road the D3(LR3) was like sitting in comfy leather chair, and my Jeep was like riding a machanical Rodeo Bull(Lots of FUN!!!!). I guess that I am most impressed by how capable, comfortable, reliable, and graceful the vehicle is in it's many personnas. My family and I thoroughly enjoy it.

ALR
 2005 Tonga Green Land Rover LR3(Yes I wheel it!!!)
2002 Shale Green Jeep WranglerX(Yes I wheel it!!!)
1994 Red Jeep Cherokee (Use it as a spare vehicle)

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! 

Post #4848419th Mar 2006 6:14 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi angrd020, there not scratches, there character lines, least that’s what I keep trying to convince my wife that’s what I put on hers. Embarassed
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4848619th Mar 2006 8:02 am
MANX

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
New Discovery TDV6 HSE......Steering Failure at 200 miles!

I took delivery of my new Discovery on the 9th March.....I like to run cars in so decided to have a weeks holiday in the Yorkshire Dales......set off on 12th March and was very pleased with it in blizzard conditions in Swaledale.
I've always been a big fan of Land Rover and had a Range Rover 1992-95. Am I a masochist? I just sold a Land Cruiser LC5 that didn't see a garage apart from a service.
After 3 days of limited mileage in the dales I began to notice that the steering seemed slightly rough and vibrated at extremes of turn. At first I thought it must be me. I rang the dealers.....they said they had nver heard of any steering problems on the Discovery. I was horrified to find the Steering Fluid level was 3cm below the minimum line. Land Rover Assist sent a mechanic who found a lot of steering fluid had leaked......declared the car undrivable. I've had 26 cars from new.....mostly kept for 3 years.....I've never had a steering problem in any and have never been in a recovery vehicle either. We got the car to our local dealer by noon on Friday.......total lack of interest and when I rang back later that afternoon they calmy announced that they wouldn't even be able to look at it until Monday (tomorrow) ......If it needs a new steering rack etc they could have ordered that and the part would have been here tomorrow. As it is I'm going to be without my car for some time it seems!
Has anyone had a similar problem? Should I be making a fuss? Would that get me anywhere? I spent plenty of time researching my purchase on this excellent website.......I knew about previous reliability issues but thought that the "teething problems" were largely sorted. Isn't the T5 floorpan going to be used in the new defender and even the next Range Rover (as well as the existing Range Sport)....presumably all will have the same steering rack etc.....Sorry for moaning but I'm not very happy about things! Sad

Post #4855519th Mar 2006 5:14 pm
simon

Maybe your dealer is not quite up to scratch... they do vary as with any manufacturer. Insist they sort it or you will ask for your money back and get LRCS involved to boot.

LR are very keen to see their dealer network is on par with the brand messaging.

Not heard of any problems you outline above but mechanical failures can happen.

-s

Post #4855819th Mar 2006 5:19 pm
MANX

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Simon.....I'm going to see what they have to say tomorrow.....I shall contact Land Rover if the dealer doesn't develop more interest!
It's very sad ibecause it has to be the most capable vehicle of its type (when it's well) Crying or Very sad

Post #4856619th Mar 2006 5:29 pm
simon

Its is very capable and in my experience more reliable than the bimmer or Audi I had before.

Good luck and make a stand... or your money back.

cheers

-s

Post #4868419th Mar 2006 11:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Don't give up , it is a brilliant car. I have just got back from 2 days off road and the only issue I had was a stuck microswitch on the bonnet catch giving a false Bonnet Open warning! a dousing with water and a good slam fixed it.

Post #4868619th Mar 2006 11:35 pm
pomppe

Finland 

I currently own a Toyota Land Cruiser 2005. 70000 km trouble free. Only one burnt register plate light bulp replaced. Fine, but I just can´t wait to get my Disco 3 SE in May. Do I need to say more? Jari

Post #4892221st Mar 2006 8:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >