Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

New Turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
New Turbo

Got back from two weeks holiday. D3 was in garage. Jumped in to start car. As soon as engine turned over the 'engine system fault' message came up. Land Rover Assist sent a technician who found two fault codes he didn't recognise so he arranged for a flatbed truck to take my car into the local dealer. A day later I was informed the car needed a new turbo! I still can't quite understand how this can happen to a car that hasn't been used. A LR inspector had to OK the repair but has now done so. However I have been told the LR parts department are out of stock and do not know when they can send me a new turbo. I only have 7 days car hire (but LR have hinted they will extend this) and there is no news on when a turbo will arrive. If this drags on much longer (now been waiting a week for the part) I have been told they may pinch one off production. Has anyone else had trouble getting hold of a new turbo. This is for the diesel.

Post #45862424th Apr 2009 7:10 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I wouldn't be surprised if TLO has 1 or 2 in stock Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45862524th Apr 2009 7:13 pm
CJS

I'm not familiar with TLO. Can you tell me who they are and where they are? Thanks.

Post #45862724th Apr 2009 7:15 pm
SJR

TLO = Member 'The Large One' on here, Parts Manager at Yeovil Land Rover and site sponsor Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45862824th Apr 2009 7:16 pm
CJS

Thanks. I'm still interested to hear from other owners to see if they have had problems with Land Rover supplying them with a new turbo.

Post #45862924th Apr 2009 7:18 pm
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had a very similar story with mine. I wont repeat but look at

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic24731.html?highlight=

Good news is that the car has been great since and no problems so far. (looking for pice of wood to touch very quickly)

Post #45863424th Apr 2009 8:00 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Turbo's are (were) on back order apparently...

Dont know when they are expected to be available again. At least you are under warranty though Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #45863724th Apr 2009 8:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CJS

I'm glad I extened the warranty but being told 'I don't know' as the expected arrival date of the new turbo is not satisfactory. My dealer says it could be two to three weeks but he really has no idea!! I find it hard to believe cars, with the turbo, are being built daily but Land Rover parts is unable to even secure one. This does not seem to make sense to me.

Post #45864924th Apr 2009 8:47 pm
SJR

Land Rover's Parts chain is only as good as their suppliers, Land Rover themselves are not going to be holding huge stock at times like this as it ties up their cash-flow too much.

If their suppliers are struggling or indeed have gone under themselves, then Land Rover will have to source a new supplier and wait until supply from that supplier comes on stream (it usually takes many weeks/months).

None of which is ideal for you but it is a huge reflection on the times in which we currently live, and is likely to get worse before it gets better i am afraid.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45866224th Apr 2009 9:00 pm
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I gather there is an underling issue with turbos?

Post #45867124th Apr 2009 9:09 pm
CJS

I understand what you are saying but I have been told new turbos are being delivered to the factory just not to Land Rover parts. Clearly turbos are still being made or production of new cars would have completely ground to a halt. From this a wait of many weeks or even months would be daft. It seems a little crazy that the factory can source turbos but parts can't!

Post #45867224th Apr 2009 9:10 pm
SJR

CJS wrote:
It seems a little crazy that the factory can source turbos but parts can't!

I know what you are saying but if there is limited supply and it's a choice of:

1. selling one via parts network and making £100 profit (figure picked at random for demo purpose only) or

2. selling one attached to a new car and making £15k profit

then it is pretty obvious which one they are going to prefer to do, unless their hand is REALLY forced Thumbs Up
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45867424th Apr 2009 9:15 pm
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

CJS,
My turbo failed during the test drive after new EGR valves had been fitted about 2 months ago. The new turbo only took a couple of days to appear unfortunately the LR inspector took longer to appear than the part did and held up the repair work.

Trev.

Post #45868124th Apr 2009 9:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Parts are often on back order, as suppliers make parts "just in time" this minimises storage, unsold stock, cash flow problems etc etc

If every dealer had one in stock then shelf stock would be 100's of Millions of ££££ on shelves. In this climate it would be safe to think that nobody wants to have "stock" on their shelves.

You need to speak to LRCS and to your dealer as they need to up the priority of your request and get a packet pinch organised - I got a back order part next day - thanks to TLO for giving me more detail than my dealer or LRCS were able to find out themselves in 3 days - PS If you get Daniel in LRCS hang up and try again Mr. Green
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #45870924th Apr 2009 10:41 pm
CJS

My dealer says he has raised the order level to 'critical' for the new turbo. He says LR will be speaking with him early next week to work out a plan of action. If the turbo is still unavailable from parts I understand they will request one from production. It seems the dealer has things under control but it is still very frustrating. Thanks for everyone's comments. It is good to hear a new turbo has put an end to others problems and the new turbos have not failed. It would be nice to see my D3 in the next week or so!

Post #45873425th Apr 2009 12:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >