Page 7 of 18 <123 ... 678 ... 161718>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Easy solution, park at the top of the hill as that is always at 0deg! Whistle

Post #7142629th Nov 2010 10:30 pm
spike.malin

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Park Brake Warning Light and Slipping Clutch!

Big Cry On my way home from work on Saturday, I accelerated hard for an overtake at which pont the yellow parkbrake warning light came on. I also noticed that when I pressed the accelerator again, the revs built without any increase in road speed suggesting that the clutch was slipping. Am I just unluckly that these two faults have appeared together or does anyone know if they are related? The brake still seems to work okay.

Post #71898821st Nov 2010 8:27 pm
Trackman

Scotland 

They are related and its the clutch thats on its way out. The handbrake will be ok.

Don't ask how I know Big Cry Big Cry

Ian.

Post #71909721st Nov 2010 10:46 pm
WHITTLER555

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi, please could you give me some advice? I have read through this thread but can't find the same situation that happened to me today.
I set off with some mates at five this morning to the RAC rally, I got about 15 minutes down the motorway and then started to get a bad vibration from the car as though I had a puncture but it obviously wasn't. The car would not accelerate so we pulled over, my mate jumped out and reported that the rear passenger brake disc was glowing orange and smoke was coming from the wheel.

I jumped out but by the time I got around the car the disc had cooled but the smell was awful.

Having just had all the discs and pads replaced three weeks ago I couldn't work it out so we set off back for home with a broken Landy. However it seemed to drive OK. Before I dropped the first person off we checked the wheel again and it was stone cold like the others so we decided to risk the 250 mile round trip.
We have encountered no further issues????
Was it just the very cold temparature (-5C) seizing the handbrake on?

Please let me know if you have any ideas?
Thanks

Damian

Post #72202227th Nov 2010 10:05 pm
RichLech

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
New D3 Owner - EPB Maintenance

Hi

I've just bought a 2007 TDV6 SE auto.

I've read all the posts on the EPB issues and seen some of the great info referred to from the posts. That report by AndrewW is a superb document.

So, I am wondering what I can do to minimise the risk of expensive repairs. I have average DIY ability. Looks to me like there is not much you can do to maintain the actuator itself but is is important to keep the brakes adjusted and all the operating parts moving freely.

Is there anything else I can do ?

Is it wise to minimise use by using just the Park gearbox position where possible ?

Any advice please ?

Post #72351230th Nov 2010 8:30 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

I had the same type of problems and Posted ^ ^ ^
If you look earlier on this Thread, DiscoDunc, and NoDo$h, advized me only to rely on P on flat ground.
WikiP discussing this type of Auto Box confirmed that opinion.
My local LR Agent, claiming loads-a-years of experience, said "No Problem with just using the Park position, but always point your front wheels @ the kerb."
Perhaps that's what those little Black Ramps, I found the other day, are for?
Very Happy -ish

Post #72354930th Nov 2010 9:35 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I must confess that I'm really surprised at the epb problems.

Since new, I've not adjusted the epb (however, my dealer may have done so at each service).

As my D3 is a manual, the epb is automatically applied every time the ignition key is removed.

Currently have done about 75k km (about 46.5k miles).

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #7237291st Dec 2010 10:03 am
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

AndrewW wrote:
I am 6 weeks into a post-mortem on my EPB (replaced under Warranty Direct warranty after a fight) and my report is presented in this thread

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50875.html

In summary it describes woeful design failures in the EPB module, and a possible cheap I mean LOW COST) repair solution still in the design process.

It also proves that a screaming EPB WILL fail catastrophically and probably soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Andrew

PS if the thread is too long to read, the report is http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...report.doc

Just read your report with interest as i have problems.
It would appear from the LR Tec Dep. that my car rolls off due to the way i apply my EPB. If you (Auto) put the EPB on whilst the car is in "D" the the force applied by the actuator is only in the region of 500Newtons( i am told this is so the car can do a smoother auto release). The problem with this is that 500N will only hold the car on a level surface or in dry weather. Add a slight down hill or some water spray into the mix and away you roll. This brings in the re apply at higher Newtons function and there in starts the whole problem of strained cables/actuators/ screaching etc after only a few of these free rides. If you put the EPB on whilst the car is in "N" it applies the 1000N or so you speak of and no problem occur. The only problem i have with this is that it is tecnically incorect driving in that you would not be able to pass adriving test in an auto D3 as it is handbrake neutral not neutral handbrake! To this effect it is not fit for purpose but what can i do? This has done this from new and has in all fairness never cost me any money but it clearly dousnt hold the car if applied in the wrong sequence. The car is out of warranty soon. This is also i suspect the reason that some people post about not being able to pass an MOT as the handbrake wont hold, as the MOT man is probably doing handbrake neutral and only applying 500N????I have tried other cars on the dealers forecourt and this is correct information in that every car would in fact roll down there slope if the handbrake was applied in the "wrong" sequence.

Post #7245002nd Dec 2010 4:15 pm
RichLech

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

John

That's very interesting. I haven't got my owners manual yet so i cannot look. Is this correct sequence (neutral then brake) clearly defined in the manual ? If this info comes from LR Tec Dept it certainly should be reflected in LR's operating instructions.

Many thanks.

Post #7246122nd Dec 2010 6:47 pm
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can't say I have seen it in the book but i would think not as the technician was not aware either. We also found out that the park brake pulls on harder in low range than high range. 1100 newtons I think I recall which is the same as the retorque if it rolls away.

Post #73376619th Dec 2010 12:28 am
bigred

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

EPB this seems to be a common weakness. Has anyone tried to repair/service the handbrake failure. Mine has happened a few times and normally after extended off road driving through swamps mud and water. It has cost a fortune and the vehilce is now out of warrantee. The quote from LR Pinetown Durban South Africa is R15000 about 1500 pounds. Rather sad because one is now tempted to sell the machine because maintenance is unaffordable. Censored

Post #75459431st Jan 2011 1:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SwissDisco

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Bizarre reason for EPB warning light and very suspect bill!!

Hi all,
my first post so bear with me please.

I live in Switzerland but own a 2008 D3 2.7 HSE. I love it. I bought it second hand a few month back. I never used the EPB until last week. When I did (out of curiosity more than anything), it worked fine, no issue.
Next day my wife drove the car and the amber warning light came on with information for PARK BRAKE FAULT. I read all the excellent messages here in hope that I could remedy myself. No chance, so I took it to the local Swiss Land Rover Garage. Now to be clear, the EPB worked perfectly, just a nuisance amber light and message on the dash all the time.

I asked for a diagnostic and no repair until they / I understood the issue. I also asked for a quote 3 time but was told they didn't know. I finally turned up at the garage to see what was going on. After 15 minutes they let me see the car.

I found half of the left hand side interior out on the garage floor and a guy messing around in the left hand foot well (driver side here). They said they had found that an electronic cable needed repairing and did I want them to do it ?? Now, aside from the fact they didn't listen to my first request for just the diagnostic, I assumed that they are now staring at a damaged cable and 30 seconds later it can be repaired and the car back together so why wouldn't you repair it. I obviously said yes, rather miffed they had gone this far.

The car was to be ready the next morning. We got a call at 5pm the next day to say car was ready and a bill was dropped on us for 1900 CHF (1250 quid) !!! Goodbye summer holiday. I also received a rusty old safety pin for my trouble ???

I find it hard to believe, but they are telling me that the safety pin had found its way until the plastic cover on the floor of the Left hand side nearest the door. This safety pin "seemingly" had it in for the EPB, and "damaged" the electric cable that operates the EPB.

I struggle to believe this is possible, and the bill is a whole other issue especially considering there were no parts on it, just labour. So my questions to the knowledgeable ones are:-

1. Is there a EPB cable running under that plastic floor plate near the door. I assume yes to get to the mechanics of the unit.
2. Is it reasonable to thing an open ?? safety pin can damage the cable in a way that the EPB still works and generates an amber warning light ?
3. Am I just being robbed blind here, and they just cleaned the unit up ??

I'm already at the point of getting my solicitor to call them for doing that amount of work in the first place, but are there more reasons here to be suspect, or should I just shut up and pay as they would prefer ?? Probably less stress anyway right........

Post #76588823rd Feb 2011 2:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It would be electrical cable they found the hole in. 'Could' have been the safety pin, but not sure how you would prove that now.

i would take teh route that you asked them for diagnostics and a quote before any work was to be undertaken. Althoiugh they coudl argue that the diagnostics involved ripping the insides up to find the hole.......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #76589323rd Feb 2011 2:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

How did they 'arrive' at the cost? is it billed as x amount of hours charged? If so, how many?
Have you asked if the repair was in the footwell? I would suggest they detail exactly what they did & how they justify the charge time?

Regards
Steve

Post #76589923rd Feb 2011 2:40 pm
SwissDisco

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks Bodsy / Steve.

they haven't marked the hours on the bill, just the activity. They told me it was 11 hours.

The activities on bill state : -

Handbrake anomaly,control test failure, Stripping out seats, carpet and upholstery, identifying control lines, repairing wiring, resetting codes, test operation.

11 hours seems like a long time.

I didn't ask if the repair was in the footwell, but they said they found the pin between the seat and the door until the plastic floor cover.

thanks again all

Post #76591023rd Feb 2011 3:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 18 <123 ... 678 ... 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >