Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Checking vacuum pump for oil ingress
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo wrote:
That Cayenne Diesel is starting to look nice!
Shocked â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #46991420th May 2009 2:11 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Whe I say 'look' nice, I don't mean literally! Wink Laughing

I am seriously considering it though! the new builds have very good reliability reputaions. I can put up with being called a w Censored r as long as the car doesn't let me down. Plus, they've got 30,000km service intervals, which is good news for someone with a 1500km round trip to the nearest dealer.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #46992820th May 2009 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Surely most new builds have a good reputation for reliability?

Have a look on www.mytreg.co.uk for issues with the engines, transmission etc (essentially the same car as the Touareg). Personally I rather like the Touareg and the Cayenne. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #46993220th May 2009 2:52 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Although the diesel is a VW one, the cars are only the same in body and some bits of running gear. The main bulk of each car is manufacturer resonsibility and vastly different.

I suppose you're right NoDo$h , but from what I can glean the 2008/2009 models are virtually fault free. The 2004-2006 had a number of issues though. Resale value is very good here too.

My problem is, I'm losing a bit of faith in the D3 and the dealers in this neck of the woods aren't doing much to help. I wanted to keep this car for ten years, but I'm not sure I can afford to be spending over AUD$10,000 pa keeping it on the road.

(Sorry about the Hijack Off Topic I shall pull my head in now. Thumbs Up )
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #46994920th May 2009 3:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Back on topic............just phoned my stealer to enquire where the second key is for my D3 (lying scrotes never got it off the previous owner Evil or Very Mad ), and mentioned to the sales bloke about booking in for some warranty work - conversation went like this:

Him - oh what warranty work do you need doing ?
Me - think the vacuum pump oil seals are leaking, brakes are a bit spongy, and there's oil in the vacuum pipe
Him - (long pause), not heard of that one before, are you sure that the oil is supposed to be there ?
Me - no, oil is not supposed to be there !, the seals in the pump are letting it through to the brake servo
Him - (another long pause, then he asks someone), have you ever heard of the vacuum pump on a D3 leaking oil into the brake servo............only once or twice says the other person !!

Are they:

a) Lying barstewards
b) completely useless main dealers
c) just plain stupid sales persons (of dubious parentage)

Should I be looking for a new dealer for warranty work/servicing ?

Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #46996320th May 2009 4:03 pm
StuA

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Well we had the opposite experience from Hunters in Derby. See my post earlier. They received the car this morning and immediately agreed that the system was faulty. They have ordered the parts for delivery tomorrow and have agreed to have the car back by Friday including doing some other warranty work to the steering joints.

Could not have asked for more!

I'll update you all on the outcome, but at least some dealers, and I suppose therefore LR, recognise the issue.
 Discovery 3 2.7 V6 TDi | Manual | S spec | Zermatt Silver | 2006 | 20% tints to rear | Audio Connectivity Module | Nokia CK-15W car kit | | Xenons | Disco 4 LED rear lights  
Post #47000220th May 2009 5:48 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Had a problem with a Galaxy we had, there was a recal issued by Ford to do work on the brake system, we were not contacted and had a close shave. Did not know about the recal until the work was in progress and we saw a letter in a local news paper. Spoke to the dealer who informed us that they were not responcible for contacting us, it was down to us to contact them when we became aware of the issue. Took the matter up with Ford and they basically said the same Evil or Very Mad
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #47005120th May 2009 7:44 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Took my D3 out today for a run to Neils Surrey trip, the 1st run since the fuse box replacement, and the 1st good run since the Vac Pump and Servo were replaced.

Can anybody support what the dealer informed me of. The fault I have/had, and it is getting a little less, is oil smoke, like its burning on the block or exhaust but coming from the rear of the engine near where the vac pump is I guess. The dealer says it could possibly be oil spillage when they replaced the pump and it will burn off eventually.

Like I said its getting a little better, not so much visable blueish oil smelling smoke, now its minor and just a little smell. I was worried a seal was'nt seated or not correctly fitted.

No oil on the floor, or on the rear doors/back window.

Am I worrying needlessly.

Post #47145923rd May 2009 7:15 pm
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I was lucky my Allianz insurance policy covered both part and labour. I got the job done while I was on holiday in Vic over Christmas. The dealer in Malvern was very good. Initially Land Rover was going to cover the cost of the part not labour. I didn’t think it was right… Surely there was some sort of safety recall!! I rang Land Rover, the impression I got from the person on phone was:
You didn’t buy the car new and you don’t use the dealers for servicing so Fu*k off. We have noted this on your file..
Looks like I’m on a black list, I’ve never been on one of them before

Looks like it has gotten worse, good luck Jambo

Would I buy another Landy.... Yes

Post #47156923rd May 2009 11:32 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

On a LHD vehicle - servo is on the opposite side - so the hose goes across the top of the engine - and the coupler is not so easily accessible - it is hidden further back close to the engine. Although no drops of oil came out of mine - when I touched the hose with finger it made an black/oily circle Evil or Very Mad

Wouldn't an oil catch can help to prevent the brake failure? It will collect the oil before it reaches the servo. Idea
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #4919886th Jul 2009 8:06 pm
caverD3

LR need to redesign the vacuum pump so it doesn't leak.
Mine has oil in the line after everything being replaced. Shocked Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Jdea
I would have made LR pay for it, it is a safety issue, suitably worded letter holding them responsible for injury/damage as a result of poor brake performance.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4921546th Jul 2009 11:30 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I didn't bother checking the connector at the back of the engine as described somewhere here. I checked the easy-to-get-to one under the aux battery cover.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #4923057th Jul 2009 2:10 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

evo8 wrote:
Wouldn't an oil catch can help to prevent the brake failure? It will collect the oil before it reaches the servo. Idea

I'm not sure that it would totally; fractions of the oil will no doubt evaporate under vacuum conditions and then distil out all through the pipe.
I suspect the issue with the oil being drawn in occurs once the engine is switched off and the pump is no longer running. This continuing vacuum slowly draws oil through the seals.

The obvious solution is in direct opposition to common sense and doesn't work in the big picture. At engine off time, vent the pipe to atmosphere and stop the vacuum doing its damage. Of course that means that immediately after a high speed engine cut out you'd have no brakes....not cool.

Perhaps the work around is to park the car then pump the footbrake until the pedal goes hard. That way there'll be no vacuum in the pipe and there should be zero movement of oil? Overkill? Bad idea? Probably.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4923177th Jul 2009 2:28 pm
caverD3

So what do other car makers do? They don't appear to have this issue. Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #4923207th Jul 2009 2:33 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

They can't use the same pump; perhaps they have a 100% sealing check valve at the pump end to stop anything being drawn back?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4923277th Jul 2009 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >