Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Oil Advice & Recommendations Here!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
Syd

United Kingdom 

Any "good" Thumbs Up deals on !0 litres of FC 2 stroke mineral oil, also would you ship to Spain.
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Down and out's Velar
In UK - Dare not say on this Forum
Gone - Lots of Lode Lane vehicles.
- Beta User 

Post #129614310th Jun 2014 2:17 pm
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 

Hi

That oil is fine to use, you only need to use a thicker grade if it burns an excessive amount of oil.

Regards

Tim
 Use the code DISCO4 and get 10% Club Discount
oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944

Post #129616410th Jun 2014 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rosspopp1

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
2005 HSE Engine Recommendation

oilman wrote:
If your need of any oil advice/recommendations then just ask us here and we will be happy to help.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

oilman

Make: Disco
Model: HSE
Year: 55 PLATE
Engine type: 2.7TDV6
Performance modifications: STANDARD, EGR BLANKED
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc) Road

Post #129670511th Jun 2014 2:10 pm
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 

Hi

I would use a 5w-30 oil

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra Extra, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Post #129672011th Jun 2014 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 

If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk or just give us a call this afternoon, we are here till 5.30pm.

It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, until midnight Sunday we are giving an additional 15% Off our already discounted prices on all engine oils with voucher code 15OFF.

Cheers
- oilman

Post #130375327th Jun 2014 1:58 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Oilman, I have 2006 Disco 3 4.4V8 in standard trim. I have been using Castrol Edge 5/40 full Syn for the engine but just recently I have found the prices just too much. I am now trying Castrol Magnatec 5/40, A3/B4, full Syn. This seems OK but is considerably cheaper - just want your opinion of the Magnatec for this engine please.
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #130396528th Jun 2014 8:23 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OPIE

what are the OPIE views on OIL additives ? - (like the BOON TSL stuff from Holland) that was sold on here for a time + others you can buy...lowest sensible one being Slick-50 right up to much more costly ones with scientific claims ?

hype or factual ?

OK if you have a beat up engine that burns oil an additive may make it pass an MOT or not upset pedestrians with smokescreens...but do they add to oil & prevent wear ?

is it worth adding things to oils to make them "better" ? & is this better attribute realised in the engine lasting for ever...?

can you use bargain basement oil & than boost it with additives ?..is there any argument for this economic or practical...
I have my own opinions that are based on reality (using vehicle over an extend period 23 years) that resulted in an engine that had pristine compressions at over 360k miles & another from the same stable that failed miserably at approx 100k miles...not data from a magazine...or someone else's opinion....real life in providing family transport on a fixed budget.
I say I have opinions but if the situation with additives alters I would have a real good look...not set in stone

We have all seen the adds that shows treated engines running without oil or wrecked engines that are "resurrected" (Motor-UP, Slick 50, Nulon & more)...which may serve a purpose & save you from a situation that you couldn't predict & a whole bunch of money. Who really knows ?
However over the life of a vehicle you have to balance the cost of what you do against not doing anything besides oil services & either selling the vehicle on or just buying a recondition for the engine when it wears out (the cost versus common sense argument).

Currently in all my cars its Castrol as per makers specification + service intervals abided by or shortened as I dont like keeping oil in an engine for over 12 months (the acids).

TSL - still sold from Holland direct...is anyone still using this ?
SFR - equivalent sold in the UK
https://www.sfrcorp.com

Additives / fortifiers - the other contenders:
ProTecta
Prolong
Energy Release
Slick 50
Duralube
Lucas Oil Fortifier
ZMax
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #130397728th Jun 2014 9:01 am
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 

SADISCOBOB wrote:
Hi Oilman, I have 2006 Disco 3 4.4V8 in standard trim. I have been using Castrol Edge 5/40 full Syn for the engine but just recently I have found the prices just too much. I am now trying Castrol Magnatec 5/40, A3/B4, full Syn. This seems OK but is considerably cheaper - just want your opinion of the Magnatec for this engine please.

The Magnatec is not as premium as the edge, so not quite the same quality. But still very good and will look after the Disco 3, just fine.

Cheers

Guy

Post #130491130th Jun 2014 3:42 pm
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 
Re: OPIE

BLFarrar wrote:
what are the OPIE views on OIL additives ? - (like the BOON TSL stuff from Holland) that was sold on here for a time + others you can buy...lowest sensible one being Slick-50 right up to much more costly ones with scientific claims ?

hype or factual ?

OK if you have a beat up engine that burns oil an additive may make it pass an MOT or not upset pedestrians with smokescreens...but do they add to oil & prevent wear ?

is it worth adding things to oils to make them "better" ? & is this better attribute realised in the engine lasting for ever...?

can you use bargain basement oil & than boost it with additives ?..is there any argument for this economic or practical...
I have my own opinions that are based on reality (using vehicle over an extend period 23 years) that resulted in an engine that had pristine compressions at over 360k miles & another from the same stable that failed miserably at approx 100k miles...not data from a magazine...or someone else's opinion....real life in providing family transport on a fixed budget.
I say I have opinions but if the situation with additives alters I would have a real good look...not set in stone

We have all seen the adds that shows treated engines running without oil or wrecked engines that are "resurrected" (Motor-UP, Slick 50, Nulon & more)...which may serve a purpose & save you from a situation that you couldn't predict & a whole bunch of money. Who really knows ?
However over the life of a vehicle you have to balance the cost of what you do against not doing anything besides oil services & either selling the vehicle on or just buying a recondition for the engine when it wears out (the cost versus common sense argument).

Currently in all my cars its Castrol as per makers specification + service intervals abided by or shortened as I dont like keeping oil in an engine for over 12 months (the acids).

TSL - still sold from Holland direct...is anyone still using this ?
SFR - equivalent sold in the UK
https://www.sfrcorp.com

Additives / fortifiers - the other contenders:
ProTecta
Prolong
Energy Release
Slick 50
Duralube
Lucas Oil Fortifier
ZMax

In short, I have not yet come across one oil additive that is any good, what so ever.

I had a look at that TSL stuff that was doing the rounds, I had it tested and cannot remember the results, I will have a dig around but in short it was not worth bothering with.

Also, many like the ones you have listed there are chlorinated paraffins and you want to stay way from these, read on... Its old but still relevant.

This is the transcript of an AA article published in Motor May 10th 1986.

The widely-advertised oil additive Slick 50 has been soundly slammed by the AA’s Technical Services.
The AA claim that their tests show Slick 50 provides no fuel savings when it is added to a cars engine oil – and there is no evidence of any other benefits under normal operating conditions.
The AA have made no press or public announcement of their report, but have produced a leaflet for the benefit of any paid-up members who apply for one. An AA member on Motor’s staff applied for a report in the normal way.

The report states that whilst there is no evidence the product will do harm to the engine, one good point is that most of it will be very rapidly removed by the oil filter. “At about £12 per treatment”, say the AA, “it is a very expensive way of coating your oil filter element”.
The AA performed tests by taking three identical cars and carefully running them in, splitting the driving equally among their test drivers. Oils were changed at 1500 miles, the cars were run a further 500 miles to stabilise the oils’ viscosity, the cars’ tuning was carefully checked and steady speed fuel consumptions and power outputs were measured.

The report says: “The procedure is so sensitive that, for instance, leaving the headlamps of the car switched on will make a nonsense of the results due to the extra drag of the charging system”.
Engineers added Slick 50 to two of the cars in the recommended way at 3000 miles.
After a further 2000 miles, further dynamometer tests were carried out. “One car should show the sort of gradual change expected of a car in good condition” says the report, “whereas two should show a noticeable improvement . Here came the big disappointment. After our several months of careful testwork, we could not distinguish any difference between the three cars.”
The AA claimed that all cars were performing well, but performance was remarkably consistent , within a few percent.

The AA say that a detailed examination of the claims made for the product will explain what happens when Slick 50 is added to an engine. Of one gallon of petrol burnt in an engine, says the report, some 60 percent of the energy will be lost as heat from the exhaust and cooling system. That leaves 40 percent and some 25 percent is used to drive the car and its accessories. The remaining 15 percent goes to losses such as pumping air into the engine (6 percent) and some 9 percent is lost as engine friction. Of that 9 percent, 6 percent is lost in churning the oil and only 3 percent of the total input goes into the sort of “boundary” friction that a solid lubricant could affect. “If tests of Slick 50 did show a 16 percent decrease in this friction, as claimed in current advertisements”, says the report, “it would only affect the car’s overall consumption by a half of one percent”.

The AA also claim that their tests show there is no evidence that Slick 50 produces a surface layer on the engine wearing surfaces, let alone one that could last for 100,000 miles.

Cheers

Guy

Post #130491730th Jun 2014 3:53 pm
tmpolice

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

D3 2006 HSE 2,7tdv6

Was looking for magnatec from castrol 5w-30 because om recomendations. Found following:

Technical sheet for castrol edge professional 5w-30 A5
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPD...MJ5N_0.pdf

Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W-30 is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, API SM/CF, ILSAC GF-4 or earlier specification 5W-30.
Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W-30 is suitable for use in vehicles that require a 5W-30 lubricant that meets Ford WSS-M2C-913C specification.

Product Performance Claims
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN/CF
ILSAC GF4
Meets Ford WSS-M2C913-C

So with acea A5/B5 and Ford wss-m2c913-C it works without any problem for my 2006 2,7tdv6 D3? Or is Magnatec 5w-30 A5 a better choose. LR recommends castrol and it's easy to get it anywhere and it's good. Not the best but top 5 anyway.

So magnatec or egde. Both A5, bothA5/B5, A1/B5
Magnatec Ford WSS-M2C913-D, Ford WSS-M2C913-C, ILSAC GF-4
Edge ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 Ford WSS-M2C-913C API SM/CF, ILSAC GF-4

Post #130498130th Jun 2014 6:01 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OPIE Oils

Thanks for the data on Oil additives...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #130506830th Jun 2014 9:09 pm
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 

tmpolice wrote:
D3 2006 HSE 2,7tdv6

Was looking for magnatec from castrol 5w-30 because om recomendations. Found following:

Technical sheet for castrol edge professional 5w-30 A5
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPD...MJ5N_0.pdf

Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W-30 is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, API SM/CF, ILSAC GF-4 or earlier specification 5W-30.
Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W-30 is suitable for use in vehicles that require a 5W-30 lubricant that meets Ford WSS-M2C-913C specification.

Product Performance Claims
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN/CF
ILSAC GF4
Meets Ford WSS-M2C913-C

So with acea A5/B5 and Ford wss-m2c913-C it works without any problem for my 2006 2,7tdv6 D3? Or is Magnatec 5w-30 A5 a better choose. LR recommends castrol and it's easy to get it anywhere and it's good. Not the best but top 5 anyway.

So magnatec or egde. Both A5, bothA5/B5, A1/B5
Magnatec Ford WSS-M2C913-D, Ford WSS-M2C913-C, ILSAC GF-4
Edge ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 Ford WSS-M2C-913C API SM/CF, ILSAC GF-4

Hi

Either the Edge or Magnatec is fine for your car.

Cheers

Tim

Post #13052861st Jul 2014 10:17 am
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks OILMAN. I change my oil every 10 000 Klm max so will stick to Magnatec - 60% of cost of Edge so good value.
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #13053421st Jul 2014 12:00 pm
oilman
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 

Hi Folks,

If you are having trouble finding out which Engine Oil is right for your car, please use our lookup guide.

If you need help finding your car, or it is modified in any way, you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at sales@opieoils.co.uk, or just ask here.

Cheers
Oilman

Post #13370019th Sep 2014 10:51 am
Johnsonk

Hi there
Can you recommend an oil for my D3? It's a manual 2008 GS, 2.7 TDV6 model. Road use only. I need to top it up but didn't get a drivers manual when I purchased the car. It needs to be something I can get from Halfords or a garage.
Thanks

Post #134800825th Sep 2014 10:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >