DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rear end collision on Christmas Eve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rbjt

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Rear end collision on Christmas Eve

Hello,

I thought I'd share an unfortunate incident for me (and my 2007 Disco 3) on Christmas Eve. I was waiting for oncoming traffic before I could turn right into a side street when I noticed an early model Subaru wagon approaching me from behind. I sat there with my foot on the brake and indicator on until I realised the car approaching was not slowing or moving to pass up my inside. I took my foot off the brake and an instant later was hit from behind.

The noise and force of the impact was incredible. I was shunted down the road and managed to park my car on the foot path. I climbed out to find the other driver was not as lucky. He had a bull bar but unformately the car was crushed almost to windscreen. There were some people quickly on the scene and the ambulance/police arrived minutes later. They were unable to open his doors and unfortunately he had some serious injuries.

He was taken away in the ambulance and his car was dragged onto a tow truck. I was left to finally take a look at the back of my car. As you can see in the photos the damage is significant but I was able to drive home. Witnesses said there was no screech of brakes so most likely he was doing 60km/h when we hit and I was stationary. I have no idea how he missed my brakes and blinker (plus the overall size of my car) but am sorry the incident had to happen. That said, I am very glad I was in such a strong car. The back of the seat and head rest certainly hit me hard but apart from a few aches I am fine.

I have attached some photos just to give you an idea what a Discovery 3 looks like after such an accident.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Drive carefully!

Ryan[/url]

Post #39311126th Dec 2008 8:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ouch! Glad your D3 took such good care of you; I hope there wasn't too much internal damage. At least you (unlike the other driver) had the opportunity for a good Christmas.
Good luck getting it all fixed up Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #39311226th Dec 2008 8:34 am
doleawg

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like the other driver was Censored (allegedly).

Glad to hear you are ok and hope no one was injured your side. To be honest from the sound of the speed he was doing and bull bars, I think the Disco looks good. Confused

Post #39311326th Dec 2008 8:38 am
Neil Pettersen

Glad you're OK Thumbs Up

I assume you didn't have the wheels turned ........ a lesson for all regarding being shunted over
the other side of a road to a head-on.
A 'phone camera photo of the other vehicle would have been interesting to compare.

The same happened to me at a set of red traffic lights in SunnyBank BNE several years ago.
I floored the car since there was no crossing traffic,but was still shunted.
Monos are ofter written off,so I was lucky to have got to 15km or so before impact ...... neck was bad
for several weeks.

Let us know the insurance quote ..... I wouldn't have a clue what the repair cost would be.
Make sure you get new alloy panels and the sensors all work before signing off on the job.
Check the spare wheel mechanism and floor pan too......... trust no one !!!

Post #39311426th Dec 2008 9:03 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ouch. Shocked
That was big crunch. Big Cry
Looking at the tow bar there is a good chance the chassis is bent. Looks like the cast steel tow block has been pushed back and up. It is a hardened steel chassis, if it was me I wouldn't acept anything less than a new chassis.
It will be interesting what they say.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #39313226th Dec 2008 11:06 am
Neil Pettersen

That would be a barrel of laughs getting that job done here Caver. Shocked

Post #39313626th Dec 2008 11:38 am
White Disco

Australia 
Re: Rear end collision on Christmas Eve

Whoops 2x post Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Last edited by White Disco on 26th Dec 2008 11:59 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #39313926th Dec 2008 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Disco

Australia 
Re: Rear end collision on Christmas Eve

rbjt wrote:
I have no idea how he missed my brakes and blinker (plus the overall size of my car)

Ah yes, that will be the standard cloaking device at work (a compulsory option I'm afraid Rolling Eyes )

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic12682.html?highlight=cloaking

Oh and welcome aboard. Thumbs Up

Rolling Eyes Just what we needed; another Crow Rolling Eyes Whistle Wink

Forgot to say: Glad you & yours are OK after the prang. Hope your D3 pulls through 100% too. Thumbs Up
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #39314026th Dec 2008 11:58 am
rbjt

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I just spoke with the local repairer. They submitted a quotation of around $10,000 to my insurer who have approved the repairs.

I haven't seen the exact details however they said the rear chassis rail (which the tow bar tongue connects to) is the only thing bent underneath. They commented this can be unbolted and replaced.

With no other structural problems, they are planning to replace the rail mentioned above, the bumper, one tail light, the reverse sensors and tail gate (the part that opens down). The spare wheel and tyre will need to be checked and obviously wheel alignments carried out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems the impact was between the chassis rails that run down each side of the car and these have therefore not been damaged. I'm not sure if you would be comfortable with this diagnosis or if I should take it any further?

I'd appreciate any advice you may have.

Ryan.

Post #3985138th Jan 2009 8:12 am
Neil Pettersen

10 Grand ......... maybe your insurer will like to send me a fat cheque too ..... they're obviously flush

Post #3985168th Jan 2009 8:22 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

are you able to get your own independent assessor to have a look?
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #3985248th Jan 2009 9:21 am
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'd be willing to bet a large portion of that 10k is labour.

I'd be happy with the repair as described. If it was a true monocoque I'd be more worried.

Neil I'm pretty sure the insurance company would be happier with a 10k repair versus an 70k write off.

Working in the insurance business I can offer a bit of trivia!

Q: Do you know what discount percentage an insurance company gets on car parts?
A: Zero - that's correct, they pay retail.

(mostly due to imports of spares being done by a couple of dealer parent groups).

So it's the poor panel shop that gets squeezed.
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #3985468th Jan 2009 10:21 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Neil Pettersen wrote:
10 Grand ......... maybe your insurer will like to send me a fat cheque too ..... they're obviously flush

I think the other vehicles insurer will be paying. Thumbs Up

As long as the chassis is still undamaged it should be ok, has it been on a jig to measure it?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3985548th Jan 2009 10:44 am
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I am surprised that the car has not been written off.

A quick look in auto trader says the car is worth about £20,000 retail. I am surprised it can be repaired for as little as A$ 10k. maybe rates are a lot cheaper in AU.

My friend buys insurance write offs for peanuts and has a yard full of cars, you have to hunt round to find the damage on a lot of them.

Glad you were not hurt BTW
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #3985758th Jan 2009 12:05 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Ryan,

You might put the inconvenience to good use. I had someone run into the front of my stationary D3 about 14 months ago. Parts alone was $15k Shocked Got a new set of radiator hoses (off-topic comment). However, I did get the smash repairer and my insurer to agree to put on an ARB bull bar and winch for $33 more than the original LR bumper and A-Frame. You might be able to do the same on the back (no not a bull-bar Laughing , but a Kaymar rear bumber with spare mount back there). It's amazing how slack drivers might not see a new brake-light on D3, but they sure notice a steel bumper, a decent Mitchell's hitch, and spare tyre staring in their passenger's face Mr. Green
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #3986118th Jan 2009 1:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >