Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rear end collision on Christmas Eve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

The lightness of the damage is amazing considering the state of the other car.

this is quite topical since 5th Gear (UK Motoring TV program) did an article on what would happen to the back seat passengers in a typical 7 seater mini-MPV was hit from behind by a small truck at 40pmh. The results were truely horrific for those in the very back.

My wifes comment was that she'd think twice about putting our kids in the back seats. My thought was that a D3 would have fared much better and this confirms it.
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #3986478th Jan 2009 2:53 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ryan
Mabye you should get another quote
and see what hey say.
Tell them what you are concerned about first
so they can pay extra attention to it
 Pete  
Post #3989238th Jan 2009 9:17 pm
Neil Pettersen

Ryan,

On another thread we've been discussing the D3 tow hitch etc.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic29338.html

Did the hitch come off OK on yours after this shunt or was it jammed ?

There was someone on the Aussie thread last year who reversed into concrete and
twisted the hitch/chassis bar ,but he didn't report back on how the Dealer shifted it.

Post #40085812th Jan 2009 11:18 am
Neil Pettersen

London Lad wrote:
....My friend buys insurance write offs for peanuts and has a yard full of cars, you have to hunt round to find the damage on a lot of them......

It's interesting that you mention this ....... back in '84 a mate of mine in Oldham had his
Metro MG ( don't laugh , they were all the go with newly qualified pharmacists and dentists
in my crowd ) side scraped at slow speed. Even though the vehicle was only 11 months old
they wrote it off. He had 3 assessments of its repairability, but the insurance company refused
to repair and gave him a payout cheque ( no new for old in those days !! )which left him 500 Quid
short of a Metro 1 litre City base model !!!!!!!!!!
His sister was a solicitor and her practice partners couldn't get anything better out of the insurer
even though they tried their best ( for free Thumbs Up )

He was right Censored ed off about it for years.

Why do you think this goes on London Lad ...... any ideas ?

Neil.

Post #40086512th Jan 2009 11:31 am
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can understand their being an element of customer service and good will when the car is borderline. I also suspect that insurance companies repair in line with manufacturers procedures so costs maybe higher than they actually need to be.

I can also understand 'stolen recovered' cars ending up in yards like my friends.

They certainly don't get much for the written off car judging by the prices my friend is paying.

As to your friends MG and most of the cars in my friends yard, I really have no idea.

A good example: He has a lot of Rover saloons (the horrible little version) with very light panel damage. He says they get written off because there are no body panels available for modern Rovers now. But what's wrong with a good body shop repairing the car ?

As far as I can see this practice provides the likes of my friend with a good business but must put up insurance premium costs for everyone else.
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #40087412th Jan 2009 11:52 am
rbjt

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, greatly appreciated!

I checked with the repairer and they had no problems removing the tow hitch. The lock was damaged but they could still use the key after which it slipped out with little effort. I guess I was lucky.

I had the car checked by another local repair company. They agreed with the first diagnosis which made me a little more comfortable going ahead with the insurer's 'preferred' repairer.

They have now taken delivery of a large box of new parts and plan to get started fixing it up this week. I'll certainly be having a good look underneath (and check the spare wheel operation etc.) before taking delivery but if all goes well that should be within 2-3 weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes and post some photos of the finished job including close-ups of anything 'suspicious' I find!

Ryan.

Post #40206014th Jan 2009 12:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Neil Pettersen

The chassis must be as tough as old boots Thumbs Up

Post #40206814th Jan 2009 12:51 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The chassis is made from high-strength steel and hydroformed, with (what appears to be) an in-line impact there's no reason to suspect any deflection of the main chassis components. What I would check is the chassis-to-body mounts, all ten of them, any cracks and they need changing - ideally all of them

Post #40215114th Jan 2009 3:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rbjt

Thanks for the tip 10forcash. Do you happen to have a drawing that shows the mounting locations?

Post #40254915th Jan 2009 8:55 am
rbjt

I have finally been able to collect my car from the repairer! They are still waiting for a new piece of plastic trim for above the rear bumper as the one they received was damaged in the box.

I am yet to have a close look at the repairs however I noticed one thing that seems a bit strange. Does anyone know what the solid cast steel looking blocks under each corner of the rear bumper are for? I quickly poked my head underneath and noticed these are free to pivot back and forth. I thought they were fixed solid when I took the car in but don't know if that was just because the bumper had been pushed back hard into them.

They look like they might be used to reduce vibrations/resonance through the chassis but am hoping someone might be able to confirm?

I will have a better look at the repairs tomorrow and post some pics of the finished job.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan.

Post #4148064th Feb 2009 11:39 am
SN

rbjt wrote:

They look like they might be used to reduce vibrations/resonance through the chassis but am hoping someone might be able to confirm?
exactly right Thumbs Up Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4148104th Feb 2009 11:45 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

yes, they are harmonic dampers & should move freely Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4148114th Feb 2009 11:48 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yup dynamic weights. They give the car a smooth ride and reduce noise.
Normally swing about freely so the bumper would have stopped them working.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4148124th Feb 2009 11:48 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I thought they were to do with the DSC Neutral
 Pete  
Post #4148214th Feb 2009 11:59 am
DiscoStu

England 

Nope, reduce NVH Thumbs Up
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #4148274th Feb 2009 12:16 pm