Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Ragnvald Svarstad

Norway 
Suspension fault message

The cold has set in here in Lillehammer. Minus 8 today, but beautiful and sunny. I am missing the pre-start of the Webasto.....

I have had no end of error messages, the most frequent being: Twisted Evil

-HDC not working, followed by
-Engine system fault,
-Suspension fault
-and after a while the park brake light comes on.

I seem to be getting this only when temp is below zero degres C and when following the fairly steep hill down from our house (the HDC has not been initiated) The array of messages occur allmost at the same place and time after the car has levelledout. Choosing a different route out from home I seldom get the same messages, but they do occur sometimes.

Occasionally only the "Suspension fault" comes on. When this happens I am unable to find any common influencing factor apart from maybe that the suspension has wandered more than normal road conditions would cause it to do.

LRO magazine got an admition from a senior member of staff at LR. They seem to indicate that the whole electronic system has been set too sensitive. This is supposed to be rectified by new software in the diagnostic equipment at the dealers as new values will be transferred to the ECU.

Has anybody out there got any news on this, please?
 Tonga Green D3 TDV6 HSE Manual
1951 Series 1 80"
7 Land Rovers since 1971 

Post #3365517th Dec 2005 12:41 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had the same list of faults that was apparently due to water ingress to a connector behind the left front wheelarch liner. 1 visit to the dealer cured it Very Happy

Post #3365617th Dec 2005 1:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Suspension fault message

Ragnvald Svarstad wrote:
The cold has set in here in Lillehammer. Minus 8 today, but beautiful and sunny. I am missing the pre-start of the Webasto.....

I have had no end of error messages, the most frequent being: Twisted Evil

-HDC not working, followed by
-Engine system fault,
-Suspension fault
-and after a while the park brake light comes on.

I seem to be getting this only when temp is below zero degres C and when following the fairly steep hill down from our house (the HDC has not been initiated) The array of messages occur allmost at the same place and time after the car has levelledout. Choosing a different route out from home I seldom get the same messages, but they do occur sometimes.

Occasionally only the "Suspension fault" comes on. When this happens I am unable to find any common influencing factor apart from maybe that the suspension has wandered more than normal road conditions would cause it to do.

LRO magazine got an admition from a senior member of staff at LR. They seem to indicate that the whole electronic system has been set too sensitive. This is supposed to be rectified by new software in the diagnostic equipment at the dealers as new values will be transferred to the ECU.

Has anybody out there got any news on this, please?

Water is likely to be the main cause. The dealer can remove the panel, blow out the water and could then seal it with silicon sealer to stop it again. Where you are it could happen time and time again if it is not sealed.

Re LRO that was as a result of Martin (the web master) and myself talking to LRO who challenged LR. The annoying thing is although I spent about 2 hours with LRO and Martin over 1 hour, they 'forgot' to mention us. Evil or Very Mad

Post #3366317th Dec 2005 4:04 pm
adara

Romania 

My problem here is that I cannot convince the dealer (in fact his service department) that there are problems that can be fixed. They are very kind, but each time they say there is nothing wrong with the car! I went there for the brakes, result: no fault detected. I made them check the steering knock (I even took them for a parallel drive in the same conditions with their test car and mine) and they didn't (want to) notice anything. I told them about the recurring suspension fault messages and they say the computer didn't record any event! I'm beginning to suspect they don't want to admit there are problems in order to avoid the lemon law... But how can I trust the car for a longer trip?

Post #3366517th Dec 2005 5:01 pm
BN

England 

adara wrote:
My problem here is that I cannot convince the dealer (in fact his service department) that there are problems that can be fixed. They are very kind, but each time they say there is nothing wrong with the car! I went there for the brakes, result: no fault detected. I made them check the steering knock (I even took them for a parallel drive in the same conditions with their test car and mine) and they didn't (want to) notice anything. I told them about the recurring suspension fault messages and they say the computer didn't record any event! I'm beginning to suspect they don't want to admit there are problems in order to avoid the lemon law... But how can I trust the car for a longer trip?

adara, tell them that they have to tell Tstbook to LOOK for the fault, it will not necassarily be found by their computer. The old D2, the computer found the fault.

It is mechanic training and that is very sadly lacking.

Off to see the guys for the Disco3 dinner now Very Happy

Post #3366817th Dec 2005 6:27 pm
MVS

That connector again Shocked

It is in a bit of a daft place for a 4x4 that is likely to get its feet wetter that the soles of it's feet (unlike the other 'Chelsea tractors' out there)

Post #3367017th Dec 2005 6:35 pm
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ho hum .. as massive -6deg here fire up th eold beast and " suspension failure" lights up my morning well through the fog of the FBH !!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ??  
Post #3369118th Dec 2005 10:47 am
orangutan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Aaaargghh! British Quality strikes again!

Well it started with suspension going into extended mode on a flat car park, then it gave me some messages about vehicle raising slowly and then it collapsed altogether the next day and looked like someone had pimped my ride!
Land rover assist came out and diagnosed a cross-articulation problem - intermittent and advised that i limp it to my dealer 1st chance and he arranged a hire car. got to dealer after very uncomfortable 9 mile drive with no suspension and was given a ford focus
have called landrover assist 3 times to upgrade this as i do 1k miles a week and they have still not got back to me with any offer. dealer has said that do not know what the fault is yet so will need it for a few more days.
So I have had the car for 19 days and they will be on their 5th tomorrow.
If it gets to the point where we have equal ownership they will be getting it back full time in exchange for my money back! Should be a clear case of not fit for purpose nor merchantable quality.
i wish i had listened to my friends warnings about LR reliability. It is a great car to drive but I have never had this sort of issue from any new/nearly new vehicle before. very disappointed.
anyway, survey completed......

Update - car was fixed today and all nice & clean Very Happy

2 miles down the road - full failure again as above so dropped it straight back to dealer. STILL in cr4ppy Focus as well despitre 3 calls to Landrover CS.

I think it is time for a letter to the MD of the dealership giving him a clear date to resolve the issue or offer replacement/refund.

Evil or Very Mad

Post #3737513th Jan 2006 8:11 pm
Pelyma

England 

Looks like compressor number 2 has failed. To be confirmed on Monday. If it is I'm not sure what I can do as the car is now a year old but it concerns me that in another 10K miles will the next one go?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3738813th Jan 2006 10:08 pm
jumblemo

<sigh> Jumble's turn for a suspension fault.

Car boings, suspension fault message appears, orange icon appears (lean warning?) suspension refuses to raise or lower.

Had been sitting in a 45 minute traffic jam, temperature outside a balmy 10degrees above. Tried switching off engine to clear but fault reappeared seconds after restarting Sad

Looks like a trip to the dealer

Post #3820719th Jan 2006 10:46 pm
Pelyma

England 

Exactly what mine did Sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3820919th Jan 2006 11:02 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Just turning it off and restarting won't do the trick. Remove the key also - and in an ideal world lock it and leave it for 3 minutes. You may well find that all is well after that - if it recurs, the error and not your dinner, then it may be a voltage or sensor error. Make sure that the dealer checks the configuration of the X / Y switch.

Post #3821019th Jan 2006 11:04 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Well, i'm getting the new Steering Angle Sensor fitted next week.

But now I've started getting suspension warnings. The compressor is not functioning at all. Even when the warning isn't on, the car says 'raising slowly', but there is no noise coming from the compressor, and the car isn't raising.

I don't care what the diagnostics says from now on; Tech Bulletin LA204-005 says 'Should the customer express a concern....renew the air compressor' So I'm going to 'express a concern' tomorrow!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #410275th Feb 2006 7:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Suspension Fault- fiddling

Stuck in traffic in Norwich this afternoon i decided to fiddle with everything to ease the boredom. Played with just about every switch, low range, dsc etc.
Suspension fault message came up on the way back down the a11 over 70mph.
stopped resart /reboot and eliminated until eventually managed to simulate fault. Turn of dsc and then turn back on again then go over 75mph and hey presto fault message appears.

Conclusion- listen to the radio rather than fiddle with things you don't need. i.e if it aint broke don't play with it!!!

Wondered if anyone else gets this message-

Post #4227913th Feb 2006 10:00 pm
Doc R

United Kingdom 

Most likely to be compressor at fault, but worth checking wiring for O/S/F height sensor for chaffing on chassis / suspension mounting. If fault cleared with ignition cycle, could be related to engine software issue, especially if fault happened in cool ambient temperature. A good dealer and WDS should be able to track it down.

Post #4230813th Feb 2006 11:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >