Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

MaxxRaxx issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Definately looks like a fitting issue.

I have 5 bike version. Had the adapter fitted by the Sussex/Southern mobile fitter when I was in the UK during Easter. Not a lot of work involved to fit but he spent a good amount of time torque wrenching the fitting and making sure the vertical alignment was correct.

Recently had 5 bikes at a "touch" over 130kmh Whistle on the way to Holland and back with no issues.

So if the vertical alignment was a bit off (adding extra weight) and the bolts weren't at the proper torque setting then i reckon it would slip as in the picture.

Post #30301926th May 2008 10:08 am
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Phew, seems like a lot of hassle to me Shocked

I use a Thule bike rack (the "ride on type") where the bike rests on its wheels as opposed to hanging. The rack comes in a 2 and 4 bike size and sits snugly onto the tow ball. It comes with a number plate bracket and with indicator/brake/ reverse lights.
Obviously you can't tow anything else at the same time, but if it's just bike rack you're after go the Thule route. Thumbs Up

Post #30305826th May 2008 12:57 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
if it's just bike rack you're after go the Thule route.

Aaahhh...but as you say - it comes in 4 bike size...I have 5 bikes and the Maxxraxx is the only rack I have found that takes this many. Come to think of it, the D3 is the only car I have found that has enough nose weight on the tow bar to take that may as well... Laughing

Post #30309526th May 2008 3:03 pm
nealgs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hmm, most weird - i just looks like the upright has pivoted. /The bracket itself looks positionally very similar. Even moving the bracket close towards the ball wouldn't put the upright in the correct position.

Gary
 Gone: Java Black TDV6, Auto, HSE - yum, yum Smile
(Gone: 96' V8 ES Charleston Green, 96 V8 ES Black)
Toy: Southern Roadcraft Cobra, 383ci Chevy V8

Club - HiVis Smile
Club - Disco3.co.uk Round Stickers
Club - Disco3.co.uk External Badge 

Post #30320326th May 2008 8:00 pm
NJF

If you look at the pictures that SPOTTER and Gary posted, you will see that, at the very least, SPOTTER's fitting is missing a set of washers on the inside of each bolt. Either the design has changed or he's missing something from his installation.

Nuthin' better than to speculate from a distance ... I'm still on for buying the maxxraxx when this little mystery is solved, though.

Post #30321226th May 2008 8:10 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I agree with NJF. If you look at Garry's there appears to becone shaped washers that fit up against the tow bar, however Spotter's does not seem to have these washers/cones. May well be a design change, however it looks to me as if they have been missed out. Exclamation
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #30332226th May 2008 11:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The other thing that is different about mine is how close the bracket is to the towball, no way I could get a trailer on mine.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #30336127th May 2008 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Spotter,

I had a similar issue with my Maxx Raxx. Actually mine pivoted to the left rather than dropping down. I think the issue is all in the fitting and Max and Co are trying hard to get the dealer network to do it right. When the issue was seen (just before my weekend away Smile) I called Max up and he personally came out to sort it out.

Once fitted propery by Max at my house it has been no problem at all. I think they genuinly try and get it right but the swan neck adapter must have very little tolerance for error!

Give them a buzz and I am sure it will be all fixed - I have to say now it works fine I love it. Excellent bit of kit!
Cheers
Gary
Thumbs Up
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #30351827th May 2008 6:28 pm
SPOTTER

Hi Gary

Max is coming down on Friday to sort it out.............which is good.......

however it shouldn't be necessary really, you could get hurt, which Max is very aware of.

As a matter of interest does anyone know how the thule racks attach to the detachable bar (AvdH?) as a comparison, as surfing on the web that seems to be a DIY fit???
Post #30364628th May 2008 7:42 am
heapster

SPOTTER wrote:
Hi Gary

Max is coming down on Friday to sort it out.............which is good.......

however it shouldn't be necessary really, you could get hurt, which Max is very aware of.

As a matter of interest does anyone know how the thule racks attach to the detachable bar (AvdH?) as a comparison, as surfing on the web that seems to be a DIY fit???

The Thule ones just sit on the towball then you tighten up a nut. I think on the better models it is a lever rather than using a spanner.

Good solid racks, useful if you have kids bikes with odd frame geometry which won't fit a two-pronged hang-on carrier. Think I paid about £100 for a 3 bike one.

Post #30372428th May 2008 11:43 am
SPOTTER

Thanks Heapster Thumbs Up

What stops it wobbling about then?...just curious....although obviously the leverage at the connection point is considerably less than for a hang on rack?
Post #30375528th May 2008 1:12 pm
heapster

I think the clamp goes round the ball and grips the short stem underneath it (not all the way onto the swan neck itself). As you tighten it up, you get less play on the rack until it really bites and is immovable.

Whatever it is, it's rock solid - used it loads since I got it. Built well and the built in number plate and light board seem a bit easier than a hang on one. I looked at the Max Rack but couldn't be arsed with the fitting plus it was twice the price, although I think it's the only one which will hold 5 bikes (I shove 2 of the kids ones in the boot).

The only real pain in the rear is the spanner to attach it - although to be honest I just leave it attached to the towbar and unplug the 'bar from the car most of the time. Also the bike attachment is a bit fiddly with loose straps to attach the wheels. I think both of these things are sorted if you get a better versions - lever for attachment and clamps for the wheels.

Cheers

Post #30377728th May 2008 3:02 pm
nosweat

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Heapster,

Just wondering if you've tried racing bikes on the Thule carrier or just mountain bikes? I'm considering a Thule 3 Bike Tow Bar Carrier (9403) from Halfords at the moment as they're on offer at £100, just as it would give more space for our roadie trip to the French Alps in a few weeks.
I'm a bit concerned about them being a secure fit (not stolen) as they are fairly expensive and all I can see from the Thule info is pictures of mountain bikes, so I was wondering how the skinnier wheels and thinner frames would clamp on well. Neither Thule or Halfords give very good pictures / info really....

Thanks
Pete.

Post #30409529th May 2008 10:38 am
heapster

I have the 9403 also - works fine for road as well as mountain bikes. The bikes just strap onto the dividers in the middle and the wheels strap down separately. I think on the higher models there are clamps instead of loose straps which makes life easier, but I think prices are pretty steep at that end for a bit more convenience.

Once on, the bikes are rock solid as is the rack. No problems on motorways with no movement that I can notice plus everything still in the same place once we get there.....

On security, I got a separate lock cable from Halfords which goes through the towing eye by the electrics, through the rack frame and through the bike frames and back. From memory it's 180cm and it just fits, although if you want to run it through wheels as well you'll need a longer one.

Overall a decent buy for £100, not as convenient for loading and unloading as the top end stuff but does the job.

Post #30409729th May 2008 10:46 am
nosweat

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
Thanks Heapster. Sounds like good advice and nice to hear you have that model as it confirms it is not a bad price. It's not going to get that regular use so straps sound fine and trade off a little speed in loading for a lot of £ saved.

Cheers for the advice.

Post #30410329th May 2008 11:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >