DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine Rattle / knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jagbusa

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Engine Rattle / knock

Hi Peeps,

First post but been here a while. Hope someone can help with potentially identifying possible cause / causes for a noise in the engine? that I have on my 2009my D3 2.7V6 with 186k miles on it, that is getting increasingly worse. It is revs related but doesn't do it if just revved when stationary, it only makes the noise as you accelerate, the more throttle the more noise to a point, and that point is not like your usual big end knock, but don't take it that I won't consider that, and it sounds like more top end than bottom end and is almost tinny in its knock.

I have owned this car 2 months and it had apparently had lots spent on it over the years (receipts and paperwork to prove) and just been serviced by the previous owner when I bought it. I have had suggested an injector might be failing but have not been able to find any further info on the tinterweb with the same symptoms or videos etc to help me diagnose it.

I appreciate how difficult it is to diagnose a noise from the written word and the vehicle in all other respects, (ok apart from the friendly messages we get from time to time that I am slowly working my way through) is excellent, plenty of power supremely comfortable and not that bad on fuel.

So please can anyone shed light on what I can do to verify. I am in Blackpool so can travel if one of you lovely people think they might have an idea but need to see it.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Post #23135874th Nov 2022 5:36 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you any way of checking fault codes (Autel or IID)? would be worth checking those first as they may throw more light on this .. otherwise try posting a video as that may also help..
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23135884th Nov 2022 5:40 pm
Jagbusa

Hi thanks for coming back to me, I have a GAP IID but doesn't bring up any faults, or maybe I am not configuring the tool properly.

The issue with a video is recording the sound as the vehicle needs to be moving in the sense that it needs to be under load, I asked the Mrs if she could hear it as we went down the road and she could but only just (She could be deaf ofc) so not sure unless I could rig up a microphone.
 2009my Discovery 3 2.7V6 HSE  
Post #23135894th Nov 2022 5:46 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Jagbusa / Steve

Welcome. I hope your problem is resolved quickly & economically.

NJSS

Post #23135904th Nov 2022 5:47 pm
Jagbusa

NJSS, thanks for the welcome, so do I Bow down Bow down
Post #23135914th Nov 2022 5:54 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you checked the oil filter or drain plug to see if it has any metal shavings in/on it? Otherwise I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly... Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23135934th Nov 2022 6:05 pm
Jagbusa

That is this weekend's task, weather permitting, I am just hoping the previous owner fitted the oil filter correctly and it hasn't been starving the small end / piston of oil spray. It sounds like the rattle you used to get on a two stroke when the small end was going, but I can't remember if small end wear would make the noise under load, or piston slap, but maybe I am just thinking the worst when it could be simple Confused
Post #23135954th Nov 2022 6:10 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Manual/Auto?
Noise worse when running alongside wall/parked cars etc?

Post #23136244th Nov 2022 9:05 pm
Jagbusa

Auto, difficult to say really about running next to walls etc I would say it sounds more under the bonnet than under the car if you follow my meaning, and thanks Lynalldiscovery for your question.
Post #23136284th Nov 2022 9:23 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

This is a strange one. No error codes, no apparent noise until moving or under load, and no loss of power. A loose component that is vibrating under certain conditions?
 Chris  
Post #23136324th Nov 2022 10:24 pm
Jagbusa

Definitely doesn't sound like a loose component unless it is attached to the crank and reciprocating parts, it rises and falls with the revs on acceleration but as soon as you come off the throttle it's quiet. If I accelerate on the lightest of throttles the noise is almost imperceptible, as soon as you apply more throttle, the more you apply the louder it gets, but only to a point.

I had my car nose to nose with my son in law's D3 of similar mileage that I considered had a lovely smooth engine and when they were both revved up, including holding the revs, mine was actually quieter.

Appreciate all the input here guys thanks Smile
Post #23136334th Nov 2022 10:34 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you checked things like pulleys on the front of the engine, plus idler pulleys and the tensioner one as well. Check air conditioning clutch pulley and the fan clutch pulley along with power steering. You can listen to all of these with a long screw driver up to your ear and listen for noise. What about the tappets?

Post #23136485th Nov 2022 6:05 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If it’s an auto gearbox, could it be the torque converter?

Post #23136515th Nov 2022 7:44 am
Jagbusa

Globetrotter448 wrote:
Have you checked things like pulleys on the front of the engine, plus idler pulleys and the tensioner one as well. Check air conditioning clutch pulley and the fan clutch pulley along with power steering. You can listen to all of these with a long screw driver up to your ear and listen for noise. What about the tappets?

Hi Globetrotter448, not sure about all the pulleys or belts, had new timing belt and pulleys just before I bought it but don't know if other belt and pulleys were replaced. I would have thought the items you have mentioned wouldn't be affected by throttle pressure although they could be affected by revs the noise is in time with the revs. Loading steering or air con would also promote a different noise response I would have thought and not require the vehicle to be accelerating to produce the noise, but again I could be wrong. Now I did wonder about a lifter not filling or maybe being weak, but why would throttle pressure bring noise on or off in relation to a lifter? Would that again be linked to revs even though you should get an increase in oil pressure as the revs rise and not linked to harder acceleration?

Apologies to all if it seems you are all suggesting ideas and I am discounting them, I will check these things as you never know, bit like deferred pain, us old folks will understand that better than some youngsters lol.

Gareth, thanks, again I did wonder TC or gearbox related as it does happen under load and not just revving it, but the noise seems to emanate from the n/s under the bonnet as far as I can tell when driving it, I wish I could recreate the noise stationary so I could do the stethoscope / screwdriver test. Does anyone know if TC or gearbox could create a noise that would appear to be in the engine? Incidentally a new TC was fitted 50k miles ago and the gearbox serviced as in oil and filter.
Post #23136885th Nov 2022 1:40 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If it doesn't lodge an error code its likely a mechanical problem that doesn't have an associated sensor or flow on to an electrical item.

Post #23137746th Nov 2022 4:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >