PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No worries Chris, it could happen to a Bishop. Laughing

Paul will sort it for you quickly if you get on to him early. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226974229th Dec 2021 9:25 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Chris1573 No worrie's I have come accross this before, its a mixed bag, over the years I have done these I have found differences especially the rear belt size. The year its supposed to be one size belt on it only to find its the larger belt and a different crankshft bolt.

I always have both sizes when doing the belts..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #226983830th Dec 2021 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chris1573

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 3
Getting there.

What with the weather and having to do family stuff I finally managed to get a few more hours in today. Cam Belt is on and tensioned. Starter motor back in and alternator & Bracket all back on. The old pump look like it may have been leaking on top where the large grub screw is and I know this was something that there was a bulletin about, however at least I know now that the Oil pump, cam belt etc are now all new.

The Oil seal went on smoothly using the VR plastic tool, looking at the crank there was a shiny bit where the old one had been but it did not feel groved so I went with the 1mm underflush using the tool to push it home.

Tuurned the engine over by hand two revolutions and all felt fine, no nasty noises or stiffness other than the expected compression.

I had gone with Flacks suggestion re the alternator bracket and loosened the final top rear bolt enough to let it swing out of the way without fully removing highly recommend this as it makes it easier to fit back afterwards. Found this little 10mm was invaluable for getting on this top back bolt...

Lined up the tensioner and gave it the recommended 24NM of torque. (this did not feel like much torque but its what the workshop manual recommends)

The Green oil shields are a bit weird to fit but in the end this looked to be the best orientation, could not find much info on this...

If I get a couple of hours of dry tomorrow it should be done. All the under the car stuff is finished thank god.

Last edited by Chris1573 on 2nd Jan 2022 2:04 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22702891st Jan 2022 6:45 pm
PROFSR G

Looking good Chris, but you have torqued the crank?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22702931st Jan 2022 7:11 pm
Chris1573

Hi ProfG, yes torqued to 100nm +90 Degrees. My Breaker bar was bending but got there ok.

Post #22703211st Jan 2022 8:52 pm
PROFSR G

Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22703261st Jan 2022 9:35 pm
Chris1573

So finally got it all back together and started up with fingers crossed !

All seemed fine, oil light went out after 3-4 seconds and engine ran smoothly, so i took her out for a spin. I soon found one thing I had not tightened up was the boost pipe to the inlet manifold, I found this out when i pulled out of the garage and there was a loud "ping" noise. Its amazing how in my head that basically sounded exactly like a cam belt snapping, however the engine was still idling fine so I took a look under the bonnet and saw the pipe had popped off, 2 minutes later back on the road. All Seems fine although I did have the DSC light come on accompanied by the vibration of the DSC when going round a right hand bend at about 30 which I need to investigate. I had the R/H wheel off to do this job so thinking I may have disturbed something. So another job to do now Smile...

Post #22704362nd Jan 2022 4:44 pm
PROFSR G

Well done, yeah you will be highly "tuned" to any unusual sounds for a few days after major surgery. And there's not much more frightening than unwanted pings, pops and bangs during this time. Laughing

It's very unlikely you have disturbed anything when the wheel was off or it would show up as a fault. Possibly just tyre pressures and hopefully nothing more than that. If it persists check and recalibrate the SAS Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22704402nd Jan 2022 4:56 pm
Chris1573

Thanks Prof, I plugged in the IID and when the steering wheel was physically centred it was reading 9 degrees so have reset this using IDD to 0 centre.

Will see how I get on, I ran the live value for the SAS whilst turning the steering wheel and it seems ok, although was a litte out from centre +/- 1 degree depending on which way I turned the Steering wheel before going back to centre. However I dont think this means my plastic ring needs gluing yet. Will keep an eye on it.

Chris.

Post #22705603rd Jan 2022 2:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >