Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

It's snowtime ☃️ ***All snow stuff here***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 34 <123 ... 202122 ... 323334>
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Quote:
I used my D4 for the first time in snow since I've had it last night (2 1/2 years). I have to say I was disappointed. The going was fine , but the stopping was awful. I took it very easy but on the slightest slope the car wouldn't stop without the wheels locking up. I could feel the ABS kicking in all the time. Believe me I took it very easy I'm talking about stopping from 5-8 mph.

I have to say I felt safer in my RAV4 which I had years ago (full time 4 x 4).

I had it in snow mode and I only have the standard tyres (Scorpion zero) on standard 20" wheels. They have 5mm of tread left (I checked recently) and I checked my pressures two days ago.

I've always felt the brakes were a bit on or off on that car and they really haven't changed since I've had it from new. I understand it's a big weight to stop on a slippery slope, but I was very gentle believe me. I really took the wind out of my sails ! Shame.

Any top tips gratefully received.

It has all been said before if you search on here. The Disco will go anywhere on the right tyres but it is a near 3 ton sledge and it takes a lot of stopping. Your tyres are your limiting factor and there is nothing the car can do to generate more grip in deceleration. Its nothing to do with the brakes. Some people have advised slipping it into neutral but I am not a fan. Adjust your speed so you do not need to decelerate suddenly. If going down, use HDC and low range if necessary. Its all about momentum. Stop before the junctions and then edge up.
 d4 HSE  
Post #192011928th Feb 2018 2:28 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Gary_P wrote:
I used my D4 for the first time in snow since I've had it last night (2 1/2 years). I have to say I was disappointed. The going was fine , but the stopping was awful. I took it very easy but on the slightest slope the car wouldn't stop without the wheels locking up. I could feel the ABS kicking in all the time. Believe me I took it very easy I'm talking about stopping from 5-8 mph.

I had it in snow mode and I only have the standard tyres (Scorpion zero) on standard 20" wheels. They have 5mm of tread left (I checked recently) and I checked my pressures two days ago.

I've always felt the brakes were a bit on or off on that car and they really haven't changed since I've had it from new. I understand it's a big weight to stop on a slippery slope, but I was very gentle believe me. I really took the wind out of my sails ! Shame.

Hi Gary,

My D4 is shocking on the 20" and standard Scorpion tyres. I can say that because having learnt with my old '05 plate RRS I have a set of 19" rims with winter (Vredestein) tyres on.

Not only are the 19" a MUCH more comfortable ride but the handling in the snow/mud with the winter tyres on is hugely better.

I now change my wheels/tyres at the end of the October half term and back again after Easter (I always holiday in the Cairngorms at Easter and sometimes need them that late).

As someone else has rightly pointed out the Disco is nigh on 3 tonnes and everything you can do to keep traction I would.

If you can, try some 19" wheels and you'll notice a huge difference. Add on winter tyres in the season and you'll have a better capability but even then you won't be invincible.

Hope that helps

Post #192012228th Feb 2018 2:34 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Gary_P wrote:

One after point. Even with winter tyres tread depth matters. The Vreds state that performance will drop markedly after the 5 mm point.

Some magazine tyre tests seem to suggest that the drop is negligible but the better the tread the better off you are in the snow on winter tyres.

Thumbs Up

Post #192012328th Feb 2018 2:36 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I was in France for 3 weeks over Xmas, in the Alps.

Car was amazing. After 3 days of snowfall, the snow was half way up the windows.

Others in X5, Volvo and Jag XF were digging themselves out for hours, and still couldnt get out of the space as there was a lip of snow to get up.

I dug my drivers door out just enough to open it, got in, fired her up, off road height and low range.

Drove out, through at least a meter of snow. No wheel spin, nothing.

I was also the only cat that could get into that car park for the rest of the week. People were asking me how my car did that Mr. Green

Post #192012728th Feb 2018 2:45 pm
Triplet3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

were you on proper Winter tyres?
 1995 Discovery 1 300TDI
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 - Gone
1979 Series 3 109" - Gone 

Post #192014428th Feb 2018 3:34 pm
Philip1972

Yes I was. But so was the Volvo driver Mr. Green

Very satisfying indeed!

Post #192014528th Feb 2018 3:36 pm
SimSamSeven

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Nice, what tires are you using?

Post #192014628th Feb 2018 3:37 pm
Philip1972

Vredstien Wintrac Extreme Thumbs Up

Just brilliant. When I left at 3am there was 4 or 5 inches on the roads and it was snowing heavily. 20 miles on mountain roads, downhill, perfect.

On the motorway up to Lyon, 6 inches across all lanes and snowing so hard visibility was poor (it was also pitch black). There were hardly any other cars.

But the Disco just carried on no problem at all. It was like that for 5 hours Shocked

Post #192014828th Feb 2018 3:46 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
Dogs happy to have a run around in the snow
But does not look happy getting towel’d off

Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #192015528th Feb 2018 4:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just cleared the drive, again, waiting on oil delivery. SWMBO not impressed with me saying it's going to be snowing on & off for the next couple of days. Shocked

Also watching a FL1 try & fail to get up our access road. Rolling Eyes If the Jazz hadn't been under snow I'd have popped out with it and showed him how to do it. Laughing Laughing

Post #192016228th Feb 2018 4:13 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And it's snowing very heavily again. Mr. Green Mr. Green Very pretty, until drive clearing time again. Big Cry Big Cry

Post #192017028th Feb 2018 4:32 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks everyone for your advice regarding my disappointing first snow outing in the Disco.

I've had a Rav4 and an Xtrail before the Disco. Both were better at in snow than this. They were both on standard tyres that the car came with, although the X-trail used Dunlop all season tyres. With the extra weight of the Disco, it seems that Winter tyres are key to decent stopping ability in snow and ice. I've not had problems before this week although I understand I would stop more quickly with Winter tyres in cold weather. Living in Kent, I'm not inclined to fork out for Winter tyres for what is likely to be one week a year at most (as I say I understand the better performance generally of Winter tyres) I don't consider my scorpions to be dangerous in cold weather and I don't do Winter road trips.

So Unless I can find some tyres better in the snow /ice that I can leave on all year then I may need to decide not to drive it for a few days every 3 years when we have snow. Any suggestions on a good all round , all season tyre that would be better than the scorpions on snow?

One further thought. I'm not sure that using HDC , which applies braking automatically, on a snowy/icy downhill stretch is a good idea. Wont the wheels simply lock and cause me to skid? I had this dilemma last night and chose not to use it, but edged down very carefully at low speed, controlling it myself.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #192019228th Feb 2018 5:30 pm
Heath_DA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I was due to go to the LRE centre at Peckforton Castle tomorrow. Had a call earlier just to confirm I was still going tomorrow…yes, looking forward to it.
Just had another call to cancel, due to health ‘n’ safety and the weather. L/R the vehicle that can go anywhere !
 2016 D4 SDV6 Landmark (Gone)
2013 D4 SDV6 HSE Lux (Gone)
2011 D4 SDV6 HSE (Gone)
2008 D3 HSE (Gone)
2005 D3 HSE (Gone) 

Post #192019528th Feb 2018 5:35 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Try out HDC in a safe environment to get the feel of it. HDC does not lock up the wheels, even on snow and I've used it in anger a good few times on snow. It will do a lot better job than you will but it can't defy the laws of physics. If you're going too fast in the wrong conditions you're still going to find the ditch/wall/oncoming car/parked bus (delete as appropriate). I've used my D3 in proper Highlands winters that will make Kent look like a tropical resort and never needed anything more than road tyres. The most important item is the nut behind the wheel, not the tyres or brakes or HDC. Driving to the conditions is key. Thumbs Up

Post #192019728th Feb 2018 5:40 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Gary_P wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice regarding my disappointing first snow outing in the Disco.

I've had a Rav4 and an Xtrail before the Disco. Both were better at in snow than this. They were both on standard tyres that the car came with, although the X-trail used Dunlop all season tyres. With the extra weight of the Disco, it seems that Winter tyres are key to decent stopping ability in snow and ice. I've not had problems before this week although I understand I would stop more quickly with Winter tyres in cold weather. Living in Kent, I'm not inclined to fork out for Winter tyres for what is likely to be one week a year at most (as I say I understand the better performance generally of Winter tyres) I don't consider my scorpions to be dangerous in cold weather and I don't do Winter road trips.

So Unless I can find some tyres better in the snow /ice that I can leave on all year then I may need to decide not to drive it for a few days every 3 years when we have snow. Any suggestions on a good all round , all season tyre that would be better than the scorpions on snow?

One further thought. I'm not sure that using HDC , which applies braking automatically, on a snowy/icy downhill stretch is a good idea. Wont the wheels simply lock and cause me to skid? I had this dilemma last night and chose not to use it, but edged down very carefully at low speed, controlling it myself.

Don’t forget it’s just shy of 3 ton as well

Post #192020028th Feb 2018 5:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 21 of 34 <123 ... 202122 ... 323334>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >