Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Rumour of 'rear end redesign'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I had my D3 in for service 2 weeks ago and took a test drive of the new D5. I liked everything about it except how it looked - the back end looks hefty like its hulking down on the wheels. I realize my opinion is not new, but I was amazed that the sales rep agreed. He said that many D3 / D4 owners came in to see the D5 and were turned off by the design. He said they sold out all remaining D4's and they can't get their hands on used low mileage D4's fast enough. He also said the D4's are selling at a premium as people who don't want a D5 are trying to find a low mile D4. I didn't believe him until he called me the week after with an offer for a D4 with 8,000 miles asking $1,000 over new sticker price. If LR could just figure out a way to slim the D5 back end I'd buy one. I liked the tech and the package overall.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #181779022nd May 2017 2:41 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

J77 wrote:
Definitely not narrow, car parks can be a challenge.

I know - I've looked at the measurements and stood next to one. It was just interesting that several people all thought it looked narrow.
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #181779322nd May 2017 2:45 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Haven't had a proper look at one yet, as I'm waiting for a go in a petrol.

But had one in front of me for an hour last week in a horrendous jam going into London on the M4, so got a really good look at the rear end Shocked

To be honest I could probably live with the number plate but everything else just wanted to make me reach for an XC90 brochure!!

It looked out of proportion, the bumper up to the rear window looks overweight whilst the upper half looks too small. The bumper and lights look too high and those tiny little brake lights just look odd when they come on. I'm sure they're designed to show up much more than a D4's but I just thought they looked too small.

It's a shame because I like the front and side profile and I'm sure it's a great drive, but spending nigh on £70k on a car that you find a section not pleasing to the eye doesn't sit well.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #181780722nd May 2017 3:23 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Rear end design

I was contemplating rear end designs....

For some reason this reminded my of my avatar.

NJSS

Laughing
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #181780822nd May 2017 3:28 pm
d-9

United Kingdom 

Missus saw one for the first time while we were on holiday last week..."Oh no, what did they do that for?" Rolling with laughter
 2008 TDV8 Sport HSE
1973 SIII Lightweight
Etc 

Post #181781022nd May 2017 3:28 pm
J77

Scotland 

Dusty wrote:

But had one in front of me for an hour last week in a horrendous jam going into London on the M4, so got a really good look at the rear end Shocked

To be honest I could probably live with the number plate but everything else just wanted to make me reach for an XC90 brochure!!

It looked out of proportion, the bumper up to the rear window looks overweight whilst the upper half looks too small. The bumper and lights look too high and those tiny little brake lights just look odd when they come on. I'm sure they're designed to show up much more than a D4's but I just thought they looked too small.

It's a shame because I like the front and side profile and I'm sure it's a great drive, but spending nigh on £70k on a car that you find a section not pleasing to the eye doesn't sit well.

To be honest unless you need all the tech stuff on the HSE, I wouldn't go any higher than SE. £55k tops the D5 ain't worth more than that IMO. To be honest I wish the 3.0 and LED headlights were option on the S, that would do me.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #181781922nd May 2017 3:48 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Discovery Lopsider:

Click image to enlarge

It looks best when edited so that the passenger side is repeated on the drivers side as this makes the bottom half of the boot lid look less bulky...

Forgeting the silly plate (Please redo with RR Plate) this works... (Feel free to agree Laughing )

Click image to enlarge

Post #181783222nd May 2017 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

J77 wrote:
Dusty wrote:

To be honest unless you need all the tech stuff on the HSE, I wouldn't go any higher than SE. £55k tops the D5 ain't worth more than that IMO. To be honest I wish the 3.0 and LED headlights were option on the S, that would do me.

My master plan was to let a dealer principal spec a nice petrol version and let them drive it around for the obligatory 3 months and then let me buy it for a song Thumbs Up

But with no sign of any petrol versions around my plan does seem to be getting a bit long winded. But with stories indicating the D5 might not be feeling the love from LR peeps, that might not be a bad thing when trying to get one on the cheap Smile
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #181786222nd May 2017 5:34 pm
J77

Scotland 

RDR is looking at petrol and think it's late on in the year for deliveries. Part of me wishes I had went petrol, I haven't tried one but apparently has a lovely sound.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #181787522nd May 2017 6:05 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
It looks best when edited so that the passenger side is repeated on the drivers side as this makes the bottom half of the boot lid look less bulky...

You may recall I already did this on another thread, but you preferred the original
[& J77 thought it looked pants, preferring the original too]. Confused
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic156463-75.html

But suppose looking 'pants' isn't a bad thing .. as it has been described by others as sporting a 'nappy'. Laughing

I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #181788822nd May 2017 6:35 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yep I've got a 3.0 Si6 HSE Lux on the way but dates are very vague and definitely post September.

Jury is still out on if we will see this through, I personally have cold feet and threads like this make them even colder! Current plan is to keep the D4 as the main family car and see how I Get on with the D5 as I don't think it will be capable of replacing the D4 entirely for us.

I do hope they redesign the rear but I also hope SVO offer a MANUAL split tailgate option Thumbs Up
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #181788922nd May 2017 6:36 pm
Snowman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Syd wrote:
Brings back memories of Fords Sierra, I think it had some 75+ body/panel mods in the early days Whistle

Very early ones had a slatted front grille, only last about 12 months before they went to a smooth style.

Not in the same league as a rear End redesign for the D5.

It' s growing on me and I quite like it. Boot corner edges are a problem.
 Andy.

Series 3 SWB Wagon OEC614Y sold
Discovery 1 50th Anniversary Edition S882 BMA sold
Freelander TD4 ES Y615 YEC sold
Freelander TD4 Kalahari NX53 EVH sold
D2 TD5 XS 2003 YF03 WVW sold
D3 TDV6 2008 SE 

Post #181793322nd May 2017 7:50 pm
hilly10

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

ronp wrote:
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:

You may recall I already did this on another thread, but you preferred the original
[& J77 thought it looked pants, preferring the original too]. Confused
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic156463-75.html

But suppose looking 'pants' isn't a bad thing .. as it has been described by others as sporting a 'nappy'. Laughing

I would be happy with that backside
 17 Golf GT TDI Tornado Red
BMW 5 Series Touring

New Toy 1974 TR6 Memosa Yellow 

Post #181794122nd May 2017 8:02 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just on sales and feedback, a dealer told me the customer base has shifted totally for the D5 for them. Not as many D4 owners are buying as they anticipated and feedback has been somewhat negative from the existing base. The new to brand customers love it and think its great.

Both I and SWMBO have given a lot of feedback on the D5 to dealers and LR Reps, it will be interesting and pleasantly surprising if they do make changes early on. If they manned up now and sorted the tailgate and rear styling out they could entice a lot of existing customers to the new model. Offer it under an SVO option pack "rugged load package" or something with MANUAL split tailgate, rubber loadspace instead of carpet etc.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #181794922nd May 2017 8:11 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Does anyone seriously think that Gerry "I hate roof racks" McGovern will change his mind? They might use a midlife facelift as an excuse to change it, but before then? Not counting any chickens...
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #181797322nd May 2017 8:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >