DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Performance Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

We have a dealer in Bridgend if that helps Wink

Post #178031st Mar 2005 7:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lovell

yes, most of my trips are just short local journeys, we have covered 900 miles in the 3 weeks of ownership, which accounts to 3 full tanks @ approx £70 a go, im thinking about one of them smart cars now....80mpg Laughing

Post #178331st Mar 2005 9:55 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I'm impressed that any owner with a standard spec car can get anything over 24mpg....the majority of our conversions have seen gains of over 4 mpg with one customer claiming an additional 10 mpg on a 'known' regular commute

Post #18021st Apr 2005 6:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TC,

I nearly always average 28MPG and more recently its gone over the 30 mark. Don't drive particularly slowly either.

Judicious use of the engine torque I think helps a lot. And don't labour the engine in too high a gear.

-s

Post #18071st Apr 2005 9:53 am
Kevin

United Kingdom 

Simon

This is my first post, I have had my Disco 3 since 1 March

I am only getting 20.6 Mpg. Sad

Do you know at what revs produce the maximum torque, I am unable to find this information.

Thanks

Post #18081st Apr 2005 11:42 am
simon

Not sure what revs but I rarely change up until 2,500 rpm and never labour the car in too high a gear.

I think the peak torque and torque curve are in the brochures ?? or tech into on the LR web site.

Maybe TC knows as he's into the engines of these things apparently.

Cheers.

-s

Post #18121st Apr 2005 6:09 pm
BN

England 

Torque, here goes with the theory, the maximum power (effort) the TDV6 gives is at 1900 RPM. This gives a power rating of 445Nm. Once you go above 2000 RPM fuel is starting to be wasted in a Land Rover. It is essentially low end grunt and high end waste. That is why the cruising speed of 70MPH is around the 1900 RPM. If taken off road torque is needed at low revs (not power) to allow the wheels to grip. High revs simply spin. Don't confuse max power for max torque. Max power is at 4000RPM, but it is all noise and no effort. Sports cars and performance cars like BMW's have torque at the top end with revs to suit. To find out what power is all about find a 1:3 ascent and place the D3 in 1st gear, not low ratio, let the clutch out gently until you move and let it pull you up without using the accelerator even to pull away. For auto's select manual and do the same. This means that changing gear around 1900 - 2000RPM and not going over 70MPH a MPG of around 28+ could easily be achieved. 8)

Post #18131st Apr 2005 9:08 pm
simon

BN,

Many thanks... explains my around 30 MPG as I tend to stay below 2,500 RPM most of the time. Current average for this week was 31.9 for 600+ miles of mixed roads but mostly M40.

You work for a dealer or LR ? Your post seem to be very well informed Smile

Either way, its good to have someone who can explain this stuff to us.

Cheers,

-s

Post #18141st Apr 2005 10:18 pm
Kevin

United Kingdom 

Thanks Simon and BN

I will try to stay below 2000 rpm and see what happens. It is tempting to put ones foot down and feel the turbo kick in! Wink

I am used to larger diesel engines as I have in my passenger vessel Solent Scene. These are 20 ltr Gardner 8LXB's and run at just 1250 rpm giving only 158 BHP each but loads of torque. Oh and we use one gallon per nautical mile Confused

Kevin

Post #18151st Apr 2005 11:58 pm
BN

England 

Kevin there you have it, apart from the horrendous fuel consumption on your vessel (made my eyes water - sorry about the punn), the rest speaks volumes. To punch against the sea with a displacement boat requires torque, to skim over the sea requires power, hence usually no gears other than F/R.

Post #18192nd Apr 2005 7:28 am
Teessidelad22

performance upgrade

Hi all ive recently come aqcross a new site recomended buy some friends that they bought a chip from this site and brilliant resulots all round and its just a simple plug and play matter even a diy job.
can be done in minutes.
www.mrhoot.com
currently they dont have it listed on the site but i emailed them re d3 and they said they have one for the jaguar which is exactly the same engine and are currently working on the mapping schematics for he disco he said approx 6 weeks away from being ready onyl £299 as well
can anyoneelse have a look at site and Tell me what they think
 TDV6 7 seat
Black
Side Steps
Tinted Glass 

Post #18484th Apr 2005 12:25 pm
BN

England 

To fit anything electronically as a DIY job in the D3 would concern me. Are they doing road and off road trials we could see?

Post #18524th Apr 2005 12:48 pm
Teessidelad22

BN wrote:
To fit anything electronically as a DIY job in the D3 would concern me. Are they doing road and off road trials we could see?

have a look on the site it tells you how to fit it.
 TDV6 7 seat
Black
Side Steps
Tinted Glass 

Post #18534th Apr 2005 12:59 pm
BN

England 

Its not the fitting, it is the potential problems it may cause. The D3 is almost too sophisticated and add ons like this just concern me. For instance I have a company who design and build Thatcham approved alarms, tracking devices and other bits and a couple of years ago one of my engineers attached a simple positive feed to the postive of a heater fan source and it blew up the cars processor and that was on a Suzuki GV! Why, because the wires are 'measured' for minute voltage changes by the onboard CPU. D3's certainly have some reported electronic issues and add ons may trigger something, who knows yet.

Post #18574th Apr 2005 5:18 pm
Teessidelad22

mmm i see but maybe its worth looking at ?
they do another version which they fit
 TDV6 7 seat
Black
Side Steps
Tinted Glass 

Post #18584th Apr 2005 9:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >