Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

tyres for 18 inch rims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
DISCO444

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
tyres for 18 inch rims

I have had my Discovery SE for less than 2 months and it arrived with the normal 18 inch rims. Now I am looking to put some off road tyres (Coopers) on and I can't find any with any manufacturer. I know I could buy a set of 17 inch rims and then get the appropriate tyres BUT that seems rather a large outlay. Does anyone have a solution. Will tyre manufacturers eventually catch up. As a general statement I find it incredible that Land Rover would sell an off road vehicle for which you cannot get off road tyres.
 2006 Discovery SE Zambezi Silver
ARB bull bar, Warn winch, Light Force lights, Safari Snorkel, Dual battery, Uniden UHF, Barrett 2050 HF radio, LR fuel tank, Kaymar rear wheel carrier, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Open Sky roof top tent. 

Post #517423rd Apr 2006 1:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Disco444
As to LR producing a rim size that does not have a big range of available off-road tyres - I think they were between a rock and a hard place.
I'll explain. Today's trends are towards capable off-road vehicles (read D3, RR Sport, RR) not being used as much off road as they are able. At the same time, users want the manufacturer to follow the trends; and larger rim sizes is one of those trends. Therefore LR has produced a car that has 3 rim sizes depending on model/user options. There are suitable tyres for the 17" rims and this forum is testament to that. Then there are the LR optional bling factor rims at 19" (an owner in his/her right mind wouldn't expect those tyres/profiles to be suitable for heavy off road work but might be good for sand (like Fraser Island/Stockton, etc. insert your favourite sandy country here)).
In between are the 18" rims and tyre manufacturers will progressively meet the needs of the owners with those rims and certain off road needs. Cooper tyres have done just that with a new sand tyre called Zeon.
Check out the new Zeons at this site (www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/zeon_specs.htm.
I don't know your specific needs but you might be able to see if a Landrover dealer has 17" rims that were replaced by a buyer of an 'S' model that wanted the bling factor 18 or 19s over off road capabilities. I believe there may be some people who match that criteria <g>.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #517433rd Apr 2006 1:57 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

What about Cooper HT PLUS 285/55R18's ?

They are a bit wider (30 mm), almost exactly the same rolling Diameter and the Cooper information says they are suitable for LR standard rim widths. The only issue would be if they rub anywhere.

Post #517443rd Apr 2006 4:38 am
DISCO444

Thanks to both Vo Rogue and LeighW. I'll follow up on both your suggestions.
 2006 Discovery SE Zambezi Silver
ARB bull bar, Warn winch, Light Force lights, Safari Snorkel, Dual battery, Uniden UHF, Barrett 2050 HF radio, LR fuel tank, Kaymar rear wheel carrier, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Open Sky roof top tent. 

Post #517463rd Apr 2006 5:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Glymmer_Man

If you're considering a HT Pattern, why don't you just use the Goodyear Wrangler HPs that came on your car?

I have been looking at this issue also, and have found the Wranglers, some Conti's, and Pirelli Scorpion PZero's.

I have seen that a BFG All Terrain is available overseas, but don't know when they are likely to be available here. Perhaps when manufacturers see there is a market, they may bring in the tyre.

Do a Google on 255/60R16 and see what you turn up. That's what I've been doing.
Smile

Post #517483rd Apr 2006 6:53 am
gilmore

England 

I have a similar situation. I've just upgraded to 19inch rims, but want to either re-shoe my 18inch rims with decent offroad tyres (better than the Goodyears which can't really do it offroad), or downgrade to 17inches and sell my 18 inchers to a base-model owner wishing to upgrade.
If anyone finds a good set of 18 inch offroad tyres tell me, please.
regs
rob

Post #521125th Apr 2006 6:22 am
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Evening All,

Goodyear make a tyre called the MTR.
This is made for the G4 vehicles so i presume its available, but not sure for Australlia, if not ask the tyre seller why & get them to get them into Australia.
Or perhaps some of the guys in the states could help.!!
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #558031st May 2006 1:10 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I couldn't find any so now I have two sets of rims and tyres.
The OE 18" rims with wrangler HP for road work
and a set of performance wheels 17" rims with Cooper LT245/70R17 STT's for bush work.

The second set were a bit expensive, but then so was the car!. Even so, at approx $350 per rim they were only marginally more expensive than a single new LR rim ($1694 each).

I've got a trolly jack in the garage and a rattle gun (used for undoing only) so it takes me onyl about 30mins to change the wheels over.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #558061st May 2006 1:28 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

THe Nitto Terra Grappler A/T is a good tire also. Quiet on the pavement and very effective off pavement. 285/60/18’s

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #558111st May 2006 2:40 pm
Ken

LeighW wrote:
Hi Disco444
Then there are the LR optional bling factor rims at 19" (an owner in his/her right mind wouldn't expect those tyres/profiles to be suitable for heavy off road work but might be good for sand (like Fraser Island/Stockton, etc. insert your favourite sandy country here)).

Sorry 19" rims are not "Bling" 20's maybe plus sizes deff. My HSE has 19" rims shod with Goodyear MTR's and I must say they are fantastic off road if a little noisy on road. As my D3 spends 80% off its life off road then I’ll live with that (but I am looking for some spare rims to put some road scorpions on

Post #558131st May 2006 2:49 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sniegy wrote:
Evening All,

Goodyear make a tyre called the MTR.
This is made for the G4 vehicles so i presume its available, but not sure for Australlia, if not ask the tyre seller why & get them to get them into Australia.
Or perhaps some of the guys in the states could help.!!

Peter,

MTR's are only available in the 19" for the D3 and only in the UK. US guys can't get them unless they import them from the UK at huge cost. I reckon the local Oz tyre dealers won't be bothered to get a set even if they could at a silly price.

It comes down to economic sense if you can get a reasonable off-road tyre in an 18" (eg Nitto) in your country then get them instead of solely importing the 19" MTR's at an exhorbitant cost. It's like us in Oz buying an after market 17" rim for our TDV6's and not buying the stupidly priced 17" D3 rim.

Chris

BTW, how's your rear wheel carrier sourcing coming along. There seems to be quite a bit of interest about one for the Aussies on this forum.
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #559662nd May 2006 3:40 am
Sniegy

Hi Chris,
Its on a boat, in a container not far away, dont have an exact port time but port authorities will check out & so will customs obviously, but there basically coming.
As soon as i find when they are available i will let yourself & anyone else who is interested know.
BTW the kaymar wheel carrier will be a replacement bar!!
We are looking at keeping the factory bar as this is what some customers want & just bolting on the swing away carrier.

Will keep all informed.

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #559672nd May 2006 4:16 am
Jamo

Australia 

Yeah, I agree. I want a rear wheel carrier, but don't want to replace the rear bar.

I also wish Safari would get a move on and release the snorkel!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #559682nd May 2006 4:29 am
Sniegy

Jamo,
I saw one on a vehicle ARB had at our annual Land Rover Owners Club meet at Wandin this year, i was stunned to see it because it was not released & Safari had said earlier they werernt going to make one yet, then a month later i saw one... Confused
I had also noticed that the gap in between the "A"Pillar & the snorkel was not big enough so that u could actually open the bonnet to the vertical plain.
I didnt think this was a good idea so i contacted ARB & in turn they approached Safari, this has been delayed a little longer now maybe because of this??
I really hope either LR(i actually like the look of the LR one better) or Safari hurry up with these because a lot of people are waiting.

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #559972nd May 2006 11:36 am
stevo68

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hey All,

DISCO444 I am in the market for some 18inch rims for my D3 which came with 19's. The MT/Rs in a 255/55/R19 are no longer available in Oz, but there maybe one becoming available from Goodyear in the future with an 'S' rating. As far as I am aware the 18's will take 255/55R18's/255/65/R18's and 255/60/R18s and there are tyres available for those sizes that are at least AT's as opposed to the current Goodyear HP's. A co called General Tire have released a 255/55/R18 which I believe one of the forum members on AULRO currently runs and swears by them. So if you stick with the 18's there are some options, though if you want to flog em for 17's let me know Wink . I cant get 17's due to the V8 having large brake calipers and therefore wont fit,

Regards

Stevo
 2005 D3 HSE V8, General Tire AT2 255/55/R18, Kaymar Rear Bar and Wheel Carrier
Off Road: http://server1.pictiger.com/albums/563/ormeau-hills/ 

Post #564565th May 2006 3:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >