Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Disco 4 looks dated compared to Disco 5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 17 <123 ... 789 ... 151617>
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Worth reading

Maybe even worth buying......(I did before the ethics police comment)
This months CAR magazine with a report on the D5.....not an on road test but some sotprt of off road venture.
This looks to have to have been scripted by LR marketing in that it's telling the buying public what it needs...
It isn't that complimentary about the flappy thing.

The selling job done in the article won't work on consider capability above "style"

It also suggest ps that hard core D3/4 afficinadis will migrate to the Defender thing being builtsoon
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #174998316th Dec 2016 9:12 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
Jimbg: Who has told you that "D5 sales are through the roof"? You'd certainly need to be a very honest salesperson to say otherwise if it isn't the case.

Have they given you supporting evidence? (Genuine question)

I am basing it on the statement that they have sold or have strong interest ( how ever that is measured ) for a major chunk of their 2017 allocation.
They have also taken more orders for the car prior to any deliveries than for any other LR car.

It could of course all be cow manure!! Thumbs Up

Post #175003616th Dec 2016 11:12 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Red Merle wrote:
crews control wrote:
Either way... initial orders are irrelevant, it's how sales perform long term that really matters. There will always be a large number of people that want to have something new, but fashion is a fickle master.
Thumbs Up

That's true. Back in the Middle Ages, when the Rover SD1 was launched, you couldn't get hold of one for love nor money. Waiting lists were off the chart and if you were lucky enough to get a build slot within a reasonable time, discounts were non existent. But, within two years, you couldn't give them away!

Okay, it's not a perfect analogy; the SD1 was a radical and interesting design at launch, while the Disco 5 will be built to a much higher standard than the SD1 ever was. Let's wait and see...

I would have my old SDI Vitesse back against any D5 and that's saying something. LOVED IT like my D4 & D3 but D5 ? Laughing

Post #175004716th Dec 2016 11:26 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
Jimbg: Who has told you that "D5 sales are through the roof"? You'd certainly need to be a very honest salesperson to say otherwise if it isn't the case.

I am basing it on the statement that they have sold or have strong interest ( how ever that is measured ) for a major chunk of their 2017 allocation.
They have also taken more orders for the car prior to any deliveries than for any other LR car.

Two local dWales to me said exactly the same. The dealer I use actually said it has caught them out as there has been more intrest turned into orders than they ever expected.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #175006616th Dec 2016 11:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Lost for Words wrote:

Quote:
LR will bring out the "all new Defender". It won't appeal to Deafener owners. It will sell like hot cakes to people who want "off road cool". The dirty-rag brigade will cry in to their beers and LR will laugh all the way to the bank.

Yep, and I fear it might pass over us too. LR have left themselves a very large range to cover for the new Defender - I hope it doesn't end up being a poor compromise for all. Sad

I think it will be a utility vehicle with a lifestyle price tag. It's going to be priced below the D5/DS, or at least the lowest price will be below the DS and the upper price will be less than the D5.

Hopefully the Defender replacement will be everything the Defender is but with a modern approach. So it will be comfortable for people with right arms, will be crash resistant and emissions friendly. I expect it will be the I4 engine in an over-styled (because that is the modern LR way) body. I expect low range, coil springs and a practical interior.

Whether you will want to use "all new Defender" as a family vehicle is yet to be seen.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #175007917th Dec 2016 1:52 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

fat bloke wrote:

I would have my old SDI Vitesse back against any D5 and that's saying something. LOVED IT like my D4 & D3 but D5 ? Laughing

I only ever got to run the "standard", carb fed, V8 SD1. Would love to have tried a Vitesse! Bow down The most memorable trip in the SD1 was driving into town to get a new exhaust fitted; it sounded like it was ready for nascar!
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as โ€œsecondโ€ cars ๐Ÿ™„

2021 to date: Hinckley built โ€˜14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built โ€˜14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #175008517th Dec 2016 6:57 am
Craig_d1

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

My local dealer said the same...they had 75 orders placed with deposits when I asked(a couple of weeks back). They said the demand was higher than that of the Evoque when that 1st came out.
Out of those orders, they have 3 orders for SE's, and the bal roughly evenly split between HSE and HSE Lux's. If that pans out across the rest of the dealers I can see them dropping the SE spec as they did with the RRS2.

Post #175020017th Dec 2016 1:19 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Hopefully they don't drop the SE spec as that would be the one I would be interested in Shocked As an aside, am I right in saying that the 3.0l Td6 will come with a single turbo ?

Post #175020317th Dec 2016 1:35 pm
J77

Scotland 

S spec will eventually get dropped. SE RRS2 only got dropped as it was the entry level car in the range.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #175020517th Dec 2016 1:41 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

jimbg wrote:
RM, LFW, RP you love your D3's and D4's but Land Rover are after the mass market now .

They will have to continually adapt to ensure they are making products for that market, but the same is true for any manufacturer for almost any product.

Having worked ( thankfully now retired ) in the electronics industry I am well aware of the fickleness of the market.

You may think they have got it wrong, but the pre-orders for the D5 are I am told through the roof.

If you are disappointed in the D5 for your particular needs then you need to look elsewhere or wait to see what the new Defender brings.

You can be sure Land Rover knew what they were doing and anticipated disappointing a small segment of their Discovery base.

Jim, we're not saying its "wrong" as in they won't sell. None of us, despite alternate reality parallel universe remain votery types suggesting otherwise, has suggested the D5 won't sell. It will, like hot cakes as I've said. It is arguably doing long term damage to the brand, but as I've and others have said JLR are going down the "mainstream" car maker route and are prepared to trash their brand values and history to get sales.

It is not right or wrong, it is integrity of the brand and whether in 10 years time that bites them on the Censored as they are now, as you rightly pointed out, subject to the fickleness of the trendy buyers. Whilst McGovern and co keep hitting the sweeet spot for those sort of buyers then all is well. When he goes/retires etc will they be able to keep hitting the mark of beign "on trend"? Maybe, maybe not. If not, they've also lost the "traditional" Land Rover customers as well. Is it wise to alienate those loyalists who have followed you for decades? Isn't working for Jeremy Corbyn, and may not work for LR longer term

Look at LR's pre-2000 products, all had a strong engineering underpinning. The original RR was engineering led, with the Bache body designed later. The original Disco was a parts bin raid to tackle a market LR were not in, combined with Conran design. Yet here we are in 2016 with a 'Chief Engineer' unable to coherently explain in anything other than marketing Censored the change from the revered split tailgate. This matters for those concerned about the long term direction of a company.

And while the D5 fan club think this is all just dinosaurs talking, some of us do understand both LR's history and branding. And the bigger business and automotive picture. Take the story of the Jeep Rubicon. This has already happened and reinforces the view that LR are in a bit of a bind with no dedicated off road vehicle. LR seem to be steering very clear of precisely the adventure and exploration and muddy Camel Trophy-esque activities that built their brand. Jeep had headed in the same direction and has a range full of Walmart wagons, yet they still make proper off roaders that not only underpin their brand but make money and sell. LR have lost that, and the D5 is just another step away from their history. That is our concern, in addition to the D5 not appearing to offer what the D4 did. The Rubicon was proper engineers not talking marketing drivel but making a vehicle people wanted, despite the bean counters and marketing numpties saying there was no market for it. It sells and is profitable, and gives the halo effect to the Jeep brand. What is giving LR its halo at the moment? The Evoque? Rolling with laughter

There is a real fear the new Defender will also be a lifestyle vehicle tricked up to look macho outside the tanning salon. We sincerely hope not.

In simple terms, Jeep went through this cycle of shiny, trendy sanitised post-truth stuff, hiding their heritage that pre-dates Land Rover, pretending WW2 never happened, pretending Jeep's weren't simple, muddy and practical because someone in a shiny suit and overpriced bouffant decided no one wanted it any more. When real engineers with a real understanding of the brand and the vehicles fought to offer a 'proper' practical and capable Jeep it turned out there was a large market for proper off roaders. LR seemed to have ignored this important and free lesson.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #175020917th Dec 2016 1:47 pm
ruggedpeak

jimbg wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

Based on earlier new LR models it may be a lot of people cashing in an expected excess demand - easy way to turn a few grand profit is order early and sell your order/slot/car. The vehicles are in that price range where paying up to ยฃ5k to have it now is not an issue. Defnitely happened with Evoque, new FFRR IIRC. Don't know about new RRS.
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #175021017th Dec 2016 1:52 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I wonder if the pre orders for the new car will be enough to cover the lost sales while the Discovery has been out of productions for nearly 6 months! Remember, the old car would have sold around 25,000 units in that time. The dealers will need to take firm pre-orders, equivalent to 6 months sales, simply to stand still.

Post #175021317th Dec 2016 2:10 pm
ruggedpeak

J77 wrote:
The LR people were a bit up themselves, I just dealt with my dealer on my night, I was in full work gear and LR didn't even bother to acknowledge me.

It's been like that for years. Doesn't stop them selling cars as people want the vehicles and the badge. Will never change.

Treat em mean, keep em keen!

Has meant we have't bought at leat 4 new F2's and D Sports though in recent years. S
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #175021417th Dec 2016 2:12 pm
ruggedpeak

Red Merle wrote:
I wonder if the pre orders for the new car will be enough to cover the lost sales while the Discovery has been out of productions for nearly 6 months! Remember, the old car would have sold around 25,000 units in that time. The dealers will need to take firm pre-orders, equivalent to 6 months sales, simply to stand still.

I assume there is no space at the factory for the D4 production line as it is clear further run out D4 models overlapping would not impact on D5 sales but would be presumably profitable for the next few years?
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #175021517th Dec 2016 2:13 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

If only that had been possible - one of them would have been on my drive now!

Post #175021617th Dec 2016 2:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 17 <123 ... 789 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >