Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Pirelli Scorpion Verde 255 50 r20
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Somerset Bumpkin

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Fair enough, I just done think the zeros would take you anywhere the verdes won't in a D4. If you want to make a difference off road then an A/T is the only option.

Post #177064228th Jan 2017 8:10 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

The issue with the Verdes is the very narrow transverse sipes (which suit pure road use so well) won't self clean mud or snow; wider sipes won't grip the mud and snow anything like so well and will fling it out and clear the tread on each rotation.

Not sure I could live with AT's for every day use!

Thanks for your thoughts on this though Thumbs Up

Post #177064628th Jan 2017 8:21 pm
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Red Merle the scorpion has indeed been around a long time but it is now being phased out as previous posters have mentioned and as is apparent from the pirelli websites and press announcements. I can give you first hand experience of three comparable tyres over a good number of miles and in a wide range of conditions and I know which one I'd pick. I have to confess I really cannot grasp why you are fixated on a tyre that has been slated on here, is dangerous when wearing down and is nferior based on my experience. If you like the Scorpion zero stick with it but I wouldn't.

Post #177066828th Jan 2017 9:03 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

To say that I'm "fixated" seems a little unfair. But, having bought a car that's so well suited to the occasional off road work that it needs to do, I have no wish jeopardise any of it's off road capability.

I have been told that the Verde has been replacing the Zero for nearly five years now, yet it is still available on Pirelli's website and is available though all of the usual channels. Does anyone have any solid evidence that it's being phased out this time?

Post #177068228th Jan 2017 9:23 pm
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As we seem to be going round in circles with this and my original post was intended to give a view on a less well known tyre rather than convert people to one tyre or another, I will make this my last post on the subject.

If I get a second I will dig out the sites I read about the new Pirelli range. However a quick check on the Pirelli uk site will show that Pirelli Scorpion Zero does not come up as the recommended tyre fitment for the D4.

Re compromising off road capability it is personal preference but I don't rate the Zero as a very good off road tyre which was why I ran AT's.

For those that love the Scorpion Zero I am glad you had better experiences than I and many members on this forum had.

Post #177076828th Jan 2017 11:48 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Just for clarification, I've exchanged emails with Pirelli UK this morning and they have confirmed that there are no plans to drop the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's in 255/50 R20 and that "according to production schedules, it remains one of our most popular tyres in that size".

This is great news as it leaves a good choice between a good dedicated road tyre and a useful M+S, but road biased, tyre Thumbs Up

Post #17747906th Feb 2017 11:59 am
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

All I would say is make sure you buy the M+S Verde with the 15% off road ability....

Haven't tried them, but ran the 100% road biased Verde on my Touareg R line. Fine on the road but absolutely shocking on wet grass, let alone mud, leaving me embarrassingly to be pulled out on numerous occasions.

Just my experience, but having had 3 sets of Zeros on my discos, they have never let me down in any conditions.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #17748856th Feb 2017 4:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >