Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Vibrations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Braehead

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Vibrations

I know there are a few posts about similar things to this but none have really hit my issue.

I collected my MY14 D4 last weekend, 17000 miles. I drove from fife to the Lake District last week with bikes on the roof and kids in the back. Generally the drive was good and I put any issues I experienced down to the load on the roof. Now driving it as normal I've experienced steering wheel juddering and other vibrations and unever wear on one tyre. The steering judder has been improved through the dealer setting the tyre pressures correctly but it is still there. The more annoying vibration though is the one that comes up through my left leg and through the bottom of the driver seat. That's the one that leaves me feeling fatigued when driving. I'm waiting for the dealer to arrange to collect the car for a 4 wheel balance and alignment and have chased them again this morning. I've read here about flat spots on Scorpions (fitted) so will raise that too.

Any thoughts on what the vibration up through my leg and seat might be?

I'm otherwise pretty happy with the car. I'm having the same niggles others do with stop / start having a mind on its own and I'm not convinced the memory seat goes back into exactly the same position as I always feel the need to tweak it. I've got 30 days / 1000 miles to reject it though and I've pointed that out to the dealer to see if it can speed them up a bit!!

Last edited by Braehead on 18th Oct 2016 8:16 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #172125618th Oct 2016 7:05 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

That's the problem, it can be anything and is then transmitted throughout the vehicle. Very hard to track down. That's why I got them to change mine.

Post #172127618th Oct 2016 7:41 am
xabwest

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Did ou try to find some play in the stabilisation bar bushings? If your MY14 disco is 170000miles already Shocked (or is this a typo mistake) i wouldn't be surprised it comes from one drive train link (can it be triangle as well?). Did you feel any noise while driving on bumps or rugged terrain?
Deformed tire can create abnormal vibration on your steering but it should come with a "damaged bearing like" noise while driving.
Good luck

Xav

Post #172128818th Oct 2016 7:53 am
Braehead

Yes - typo 17k! Along with a few others - hopefully all picked up now - phones!

There's no particular noise - just vibrations

Post #172130018th Oct 2016 8:07 am
Braehead

Tanglewood wrote:
That's the problem, it can be anything and is then transmitted throughout the vehicle. Very hard to track down. That's why I got them to change mine.

I thought what you had was just up through the steering. Were there other issues too? I took some comfort from mine being an ex LR management car - perhaps I shouldn't have!!

Post #172131118th Oct 2016 8:18 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

I had a similar vibration to yours (driver's seat) which I put down to the steering wheel vibration. Like I said, its difficult to pinpoint the cause.

Post #172134918th Oct 2016 9:23 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Seems to be an issue with some cars. Mine has a rumbling sensation at 50mph upwards. Not speed related, or engine, it's just 'there' if you know what I mean. The problem is, it's so faint that I cannot pinpoint it. I have been waiting for it to get worse for 30k miles now, and it isn't! My car is on 64k miles. 2013.

Post #172135718th Oct 2016 9:45 am
Braehead

That's the thing. It's not bad but it's there and it's annoying. Especially on a car that cost so much! I'll be keeping it for at least 3 years so it's not an especially attractive thought that I'll be living with it for so long!

Post #172137018th Oct 2016 10:12 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

My thoughts exactly. If you aren't happy, let them know now and move it on.

Post #172137118th Oct 2016 10:15 am
Braehead

Well it's getting collected tomorrow night and checked out on Thursday. They have an explanation of the vibration I can feel coming up through my legs and seat and I've asked them to check the stop / start functioning too as it just seems totally random. Let's see what they come back with and I hope it's better than the "oh, we've never had anyone experience stuff like that before" that I got earlier.

Post #172152718th Oct 2016 5:16 pm
Braehead

Now have a 16 plate Landmark for a couple of days. Lets see how that drives on the way to work tomorrow.

Post #172198519th Oct 2016 8:10 pm
Braehead

That was a bit different on my drive to work. 12 month newer car on 65 plate v my 64 plate. Better MPG on the trip by quite a margin v mine (30.5 v 28, maybe I've just had a heavy right foot since I bought it).. Felt like a smoother drive and seemed more responsive / quicker. But that could just be my imagination and looking for issues with the old car. The driver seat was not as comfortable though, felt like different leather and I really struggled to get it set right - almost felt like the back was twisted so pushed me more on one side than the other or it was slightly offset.

Post #172213020th Oct 2016 8:40 am
Aaronb

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have a very similar issue with mine , it's in at dealer tomorrow after they diagnosed hydro bush gone
 D3 Java black HSE now gone
D4 santorini black landmark ( reverse camera and black lettering , black wheel centres) 

Post #172220920th Oct 2016 2:17 pm
Braehead

I wasn't filled with confidence last night when they collected the car and they got my name wrong on the replacement car docs and didn't know they had booked it in for 4 wheel balance and tracking. "Oh, that'll probably take a couple of days". The landmark I'm using now has no vibrations at all.

Post #172221820th Oct 2016 2:50 pm
Braehead

Update - well the wheels were indeed out of alignment and have now been rebalanced too. The dealer has roadtested and says the vibration has gone - but said they have also put anti vibration foam under the footrest. So has it gone or is it just being masked? I'll get it back tonight and see how it is tomorrow!

Post #172269221st Oct 2016 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >