Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Pedestrian versus cyclist.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
gje

Wales 

He still should have stopped at the stop line as at 006 and 007 secs into the clip there are clearly peds using the crossing......

Post #17148643rd Oct 2016 5:32 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Indeed, but there was only one guy heading towards his path and he was well clear. Whatever the law says, there was not necessarily any real safety issue with his actions, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17148693rd Oct 2016 5:49 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

The highway code says that you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing, it does not say that it is okay to proceed if there are no safety issues with continuing Rolling Eyes
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #17148743rd Oct 2016 5:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

He's a clown - should slow down when approaching a pedestrian crossing in a built up area, irrespective of what you are driving.

When I used to work in town the road outside of the office was one way (heading right), some intelligent Town Planner thought it was a great idea to have a cycle path heading the opposite direction. Lost count of the number of time cyclists hit pedestrians who just stepped out without looking right

Moral of story - be aware of your surroundings and expect the unexpected - my mate nearly crashed at the weekend when we were leathering down a hill in the middle of nowhere - he swerved to miss a weasel that ran out Rolling with laughter

Post #17148793rd Oct 2016 6:06 pm
Lost for Words

WOODY179 wrote:
The highway code says that you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing, it does not say that it is okay to proceed if there are no safety issues with continuing Rolling Eyes

So what? The law is written for ends, not means. It isn't relevant what the law, or the highway code says, if the purpose it was written for has already been achieved.

Surely we can all agree that the actually safety of the pedestrians is all that really matters? That is the one and only purpose of the law in the first place.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #17148873rd Oct 2016 6:11 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So we have new guidance for pedestrian crossings now if you can get across without hitting the pedestrians using it that's fair game Rolling Eyes
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #17148983rd Oct 2016 6:22 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Anarchy

a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #17149073rd Oct 2016 6:36 pm
Lost for Words

What do you lot all care about? The law, or people's safety? I'm not suggesting we change the law, or offer any new guidance, but what more is there than safety? Rolling Eyes

The point is, we are not here to enforce the law or write it. We should be glad when there are ways in which it doesn't matter. We have eyes to see, brains to think, handlebars to steer and brakes to stop - it would be a lie to ourselves if we said we needed every little action to be dictated by law. I go through more dangerous situations every day, for myself and others, just around blind bends and the like but there's no law against it and nothing I can do about it.

This is the real world we are talking about, not the simplistic world of law. People have the ability to take their actions based on what is actually presented to them; the law simply does not and so it isn't always right. It's easy to say "well someone might have been standing there", but then so might he/one adjust their actions if someone were.

I choose and shall continue to make my judgements on a real probability basis, and that's not just when the law says I can't but I can, but also when the law says I can and I think better of it. Personally, I would not undertake exactly what that cyclist did, but, and I'm sorry if it offends, I would certainly not have any qualms about cycling carefully behind someone on a zebra crossing.

Perhaps the term "anarchist" should be redefined as "the failure to believe that every law is always and unquestionably perfect". Rolling Eyes

Post #17149403rd Oct 2016 7:10 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

anarchist /anəkɪst/
noun. A term used to describe those who claim to understand Road law but actually ride a child's toy pretending it is proper transport. See also cyclist and clown.

Post #17149483rd Oct 2016 7:15 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Laughing Trololololol...

Riding in the back lanes yesterday, I saw a gentlemen of advanced years standing on a child's scooter to which he had affixed a small two stroke engine. He was grinning like a clown as he sped along at 15 mph. I decided not to engage him in a discussion of powered bicycle legislation.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #17149733rd Oct 2016 7:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Lost for Words in another thread wrote:

The law is there to set clear representations, rightly or wrongly, so that we can all follow them.

On yer bike Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17149823rd Oct 2016 7:52 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

LFW, I can see you're point. However, if instead of a cyclist it had been an HGV travelling at the same speed, would it still be acceptable? The theory of the gap between the two being safe would still apply.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #17149833rd Oct 2016 7:53 pm
Lost for Words

Thank you, Tom, for at least being able to see the sense in what I'm saying. Not sure what you mean about the gap with an HGV though? An HGV isn't the size of the bike so the scenario doesn't arise. Ultimately, that's what this is all about - pedestrians, bikes and cars are not all the same size.

DG, yes, I'm glad you brought that up because I stand by it - "can", being the operative word.

All I'm really saying is that everybody is getting so worked up from what is, at the end of the day, a mere formality. The idea that the law should be followed with no cause is exactly what creates the mindless zombies that grace our planet. People are taught more and more these days not to think for themselves, not to consider the consequences of their actions and not to take any personal responsibility, and the result is not good for anyone. Everybody then has to be so sensitive these days - no doubt there will soon be a counselling service for people who've been passed by a bike.

I'll reserve my wrath for those who put people at a genuine risk (and what's more, even if their actions are legal). We are not police, judge or jury - not most of us anyway; I care about people, not words. Bemoaning everything without a material issue only serves to belittle the times when there is a material issue. The principle of materialism applies to perjury in law and amongst mere onlookers such as us I feel it should to us.

As I said before though, it's still entirely probable that the guy had no idea what he was doing and is a complete Censored . Thumbs Up

Post #17151974th Oct 2016 9:54 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I agree the HGV scenario couldn't arise on that type of crossing, as it has a central "refuge" area for pedestrians. On a straight one across a two lane road it could though.

Would it be okay if it had been a motorbike instead of a cyclist?

I think the answer has to be that all road users, whatever their mode of transport, have to play by the same rules.

The cyclist in the video overtakes a vehicle on the Zig Zags immediately before the crossing, which is I believe another contravention. Plus another pedestrian had commenced crossing from the the left of the cyclist.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #17155464th Oct 2016 11:30 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

Mogwyth wrote:
So we have new guidance for pedestrian crossings now if you can get across without hitting the pedestrians using it that's fair game Rolling Eyes

.......... Thumbs Up

AAA Very Happy

Post #17155595th Oct 2016 12:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >