Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Uk, Europe, Scotland -ménage à trois
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What would you answer if I asked "What makes you think the Tories are right wing?". Wink

They support larger government with more public services and a basis of wealth redistribution. They may not be miles left, but they are left enough to be left. Their principles are in that direction regardless of magnitude. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17015456th Sep 2016 11:29 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
Lost for Words wrote:
I'm really quite indifferent to Scottish independence - it's not my business

I have a lot of respect for this position. It would be unreasonable for me to expect someone from your neck of the woods to be overtly concerned about the goings-on up here. By the same token, I have no interest in the number of lanes on the M4, but if you wanted to jump up and down about it, I wouldn't instinctively be against your view from ground zero. Indifference, is far more palatable than the 'anti' alternative. Thumbs Up

Lost for Words wrote:
but the double standards of the SNP are truly hilarious. It is funny to think that Scotland elects a left-wing party

What makes you think that the SNP are 'left-wing'? Confused Whistle

To us down here in not-Scotland....the SNP under Nicola...seem to be one track, one theme, one goal...
Independance, Independance, Independance..Independance
Which believe it as Scotland is part of the United Kingdom affects the whole...if Nicola got on with the day job the true colours left or right may be displayed....

She is to me daft as with the small in parliment could be very influential in critical divisions...
Unless she is so hung up on.....Independance.

Pity as the elected representative doesn't do the job justice...or represent the whole if Scotland in the things that really matter.....other than Independance that is...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #170422010th Sep 2016 11:46 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

SNP., stands for Scottish National Party. Not Scottish Union Party.

In pushing for Independance, the SNP are getting on with the day job Wink
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #170423211th Sep 2016 6:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

BLFarrar wrote:
To us down here in not-Scotland....the SNP under Nicola...seem to be one track, one theme, one goal...
Which believe it as Scotland is part of the United Kingdom affects the whole...if Nicola got on with the day job the true colours left or right may be displayed....

To you 'down there', your view of what goes on in Scotland is what you read in the (agenda based) mainstream media.

They don't tell you that the SNP have a fairly happy and successful NHS for example. Were you aware that the Scottish NHS is performing better than the English NHS, meeting targets and dealing with its patients. Are you aware that the Scottish doctors have not and are not coming out on strike? Who the hell do you think has been dealing with that for the past decade? Surely not the one trick pony and her party. Whistle

Infrastructure projects are going ahead and Nicola is also trying very hard to maintain some sort of EU place for the majority of people and businesses in Scotland who wish to remain part of the trading union. That's very different to the political union by the way, but I doubt if your media will have explained that properly either. Wink

How's Westminster doing these days? Any joy in getting £350M a week extra for your NHS? Seen any reduction in non-indigenous people walking about recently? Rolling with laughter
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #170481212th Sep 2016 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

And let's not forget the Steelworks "up here" that the Scottish Government had a hand in negotiating the sale from Tata to its new owners Wink
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #170492912th Sep 2016 6:18 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
WRONG...

JMC wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:

To you 'down there', your view of what goes on in Scotland is what you read in the (agenda based) mainstream media.

They don't tell you that the SNP have a fairly happy and successful NHS for example. Were you aware that the Scottish NHS is performing better than the English NHS, meeting targets and dealing with its patients. Are you aware that the Scottish doctors have not and are not coming out on strike? Who the hell do you think has been dealing with that for the past decade? Surely not the one trick pony and her party. Whistle

Infrastructure projects are going ahead and Nicola is also trying very hard to maintain some sort of EU place for the majority of people and businesses in Scotland who wish to remain part of the trading union. That's very different to the political union by the way, but I doubt if your media will have explained that properly either. Wink

How's Westminster doing these days? Any joy in getting £350M a week extra for your NHS? Seen any reduction in non-indigenous people walking about recently? Rolling with laughter

My views are based on the way I think (admittedly as a non-Scot) & the media I read with believe it or not, not just in the "agenda" based media you seemingly think I read...I know what I actually read listen to media wise which is very wide, which includes Northern & Southern Ireland papers which have a very candid & occasionally an abstract view or comments.

.....the NHS in Scotland isn't that much different or at all better than the rest of the UK...& I get this data from my wife who worked in Scotland for a significant number of years & relatives who're senior medics in the area...which is an "insider" view...not based on being just one patient / user.
If they aren't "coming out on strike" they should be as the changes being imposed or mooted affect the whole population of junior doctors...equally very unfair & not in patients best interests

Westminster ? ...maybe you view is based on a use of an equivalent "agenda" based media..?

...don't fall into the trap that me & others on here are narrow minded & just read one newspaper or just watch one channel.....they aren't & dont....plus the fact they have & have the right to express their opinions.
...the one theme I detect is that you comment on everything UK including Scotland. Yet others non -Scots aren't worthy of having views or making comments vice-versa....we can & will especially when it may destabilise the union, which (currently) we all are a part.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #170520513th Sep 2016 2:55 pm
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
And let's not forget the Steelworks "up here" that the Scottish Government had a hand in negotiating the sale from Tata to its new owners Wink

There is absolutely no comparison between the selling off of two small scale finishing mills, Dalzell and Clydebridge, and the enormity of trying to solve the problems at a 5million ingot tonnes/year integrated plant like Port Talbot when demand and prices have slumped.

Amongst many differences are that you can temporarily cease production at both Dalzell and Clydebridge. Port Talbot has to run at near capacity 24/7, week in week out, whether or not you can sell any product. That is a huge commitment for any new owner.

Liberty actually wanted the two Scottish Mills, nobody expressed a clear interest in taking on Port Talbot, certainly not as it currently stands.
 Arthur.
Comedy was a horse, Harvey a dog, both sadly gone. Thought I was choosing a password!

Currently;
Discovery 3 HSE 2009
101" Fwd. Control 1976
Nuffield 10/90 Tractor (10/60 with 6 cylinder conversion) 1964

Previously;
Series III Lightweight. 1976. 

Post #170531013th Sep 2016 7:06 pm
Disco_Mikey

Anyone else hear about this?

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/9298...dal-stream

Thought not Wink
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #170550614th Sep 2016 5:19 am
Disco_Mikey

And they have discovered more of that pesky oil. Anyone want to take it off our hands?

http://www.thenational.scot/news/george-ke...land.22255

Still not reported in MSM...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #170550714th Sep 2016 5:28 am
beansenior

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The National, of course, is completely unbiased ??

Post #170561014th Sep 2016 10:13 am
Disco_Mikey

The point being, MSM only reports doom and gloom where Scotland is concerned Wink
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #170561614th Sep 2016 10:30 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Not always the case Mike Wink Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37321639
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #170562514th Sep 2016 10:49 am
JMC

Scotland 
Re: WRONG...

BLFarrar wrote:
My views are based on the way I think (admittedly as a non-Scot) & the media I read with believe it or not, not just in the "agenda" based media you seemingly think I read...

ALL the UK media (with the sole exception of a single Scotish newspaper) has an anti-independence based agenda, therefore any media you are absorbing on the subject is biased against it.

BLFarrar wrote:
.....the NHS in Scotland isn't that much different or at all better than the rest of the UK...& I get this data from my wife who worked in Scotland for a significant number of years & relatives who're senior medics in the area...which is an "insider" view...not based on being just one patient / user.

Your inference here is that I know nothing of the Scottish NHS situation as I am patently a single patient/user, whereas you think you have an omnipotent view because your wife used to work there. I too have friends and relatives who are doctors/consultants/GP's and I also worked for a number of years in the medical profession. Perhaps my view is therefore at least as valid as yours. Wink

BLFarrar wrote:
If they aren't "coming out on strike" they should be

I'll let them all know your instructions at the earliest juncture. Whistle

BLFarrar wrote:
...don't fall into the trap that me & others on here are narrow minded & just read one newspaper or just watch one channel.....they aren't & dont....plus the fact they have & have the right to express their opinions.

That's not a trap I'm in at all, whereas you appear to believe that your view trumps all others, including those on the ground about which you seek to discuss.

BLFarrar wrote:
...the one theme I detect is that you comment on everything UK including Scotland. Yet others non -Scots aren't worthy of having views or making comments vice-versa....we can & will especially when it may destabilise the union, which (currently) we all are a part.

You'd have to go a long way back to find me commenting on anything (everything) outside of this kind of thread on D3. I thoroughly welcome the views of others when it comes to Scotland, as without such views, there would be nothing for me to comment on at all. Rolling with laughter

Bear in mind, you started this thread with your usual jibes about 'ReMOANers', 'Fishy Friend Sturgeon', 'Scottishland' & 'McIndependance, so don't come crying into your Yorkshire Ale when people take umbridge and stand-up to be counted with some aplomb. These sorts of words are not the stuff of serious and informed debate and they do absolutely nothing for your personal position . Thumbs Up
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #170568314th Sep 2016 12:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >