DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Collwyn

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
EPB Problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my EPB. I've read a lot on this forum about the issues, but mine is a little different. The fault is intermittent, and when it works it works perfectly.

The issue is, I park up say at night, brake on - all working perfectly. Then in the morning if its cold, say less than 5 degrees, as soon as I turn the ignition on the yellow warning light comes on and the park brake light flashes and the EPB seems to be off (I'm not sure if it comes off as soon as I turn the ignition on....). So for the rest of that journey, I don't have a handbrake.

This morning (a typical example), after I started up, it was 3 degrees so FBH on and EPB not working, I set off and stopped after about 5 minutes and switched the car off. I waited for the brake light to stop flashing, and when I started up again the EPB worked perfectly. But after 10 minutes driving, it suddenly started flashing at me again.

Has anyone go any ideas what it could be? It only ever shows a fault when its cold and 99% sure basically whenever the FBH is triggered. All other times it works as it should, no noises etc.

Is there a link between the FBH and EPB?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Post #159339515th Jan 2016 10:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have you recently had an alternator replaced?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #159339915th Jan 2016 10:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Collwyn

Yes, but a few months ago.

I thought it was maybe the battery as it was quite poor - slow at turning over and the voltage was only about 13.2v in the morning before starting.

I put a new odyssey one on 2 days ago. Now the voltage this morning was 13.65v after opening bonnet. 15.1v 10 seconds after startup, and 14.2v after a 30 minute journey before turning off.

Post #159340915th Jan 2016 10:37 am
Collwyn

Thinking back, I think I replaced the Alternator in April and the fault did flag up about the same time. I remember there being a few cold days after that and the problem flagged up then. Every time I had a look at it it was working fine and I couldn't get it to stop working. Then through the summer it never showed up. Now in the past 2-3 months it has gotten progressively worse as the temperature has dropped.

Post #159342815th Jan 2016 11:10 am
Disco_Mikey

Do you know what brand of alternator it was? There have been issues using non-OEM alternators Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #159343715th Jan 2016 11:20 am
Collwyn

It was a non-OEM one from advanced factors. Cant remember the make though - the invoice just says 'new cp alternator' for £185.16 + VAT

Post #159344215th Jan 2016 11:24 am
Collwyn

I remember a funny think when I replaced it. Maybe this is normal, but the battery light had come on, one of the diodes had blown in the original. When I replaced it and started her up, the battery light still stayed on! I switched her off, looked at connections etc, on and off, on and off and eventually the light went out and I thought everything was fine then.....but maybe not?

Post #159344415th Jan 2016 11:31 am
Disco_Mikey

I suspect your alternator is causing your issues. Generally, the alternator spikes on colder morning, giving too much voltage. This in turn bring the EPB light on, due to over voltage

Circuit voltage high is probably stored in the fault memory Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #159348415th Jan 2016 12:59 pm
Collwyn

That makes sense. How confident are you that this is the case and is the only way to prove it to get a genuine alternator?

Post #159349415th Jan 2016 1:27 pm
Collwyn

The only thing is the fault comes up as soon as I turn on the ignition, so alternator not yet running.

Post #159349615th Jan 2016 1:35 pm
Disco_Mikey

You need to get the fault codes read first, before throwing money at it Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #159358915th Jan 2016 4:55 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

And if it is duff from me we will replace it with a Denso one so don't worry about that.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #159359715th Jan 2016 5:19 pm
geoff.

England 

and thats why AF are tops in my book Thumbs Up

Post #159360315th Jan 2016 5:24 pm
Phantomf4

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Not sure if this will help but I have a similar, but not identical fault.

If I drive the car every day it doesn't show up, but leave it for a couple of days and sure as eggs are eggs, I get the yellow EPB fault flashing at me a couple of yards down the road. Sometimes I also find the radio goes off and the satnav restarts, but within a mile everything sorts itself out.

Being sat for a couple of days certainly supports Disco Mikey's theory of an overvolt alternator in my case probably due to a slight voltage drain whilst parked. This ,aye explains why it only appears if not driven for a while?

Either way, as the EPB works fine and the fault always clears itself, I'm putting it down as one of those little eccentricities LR saw fit to riddle the Discovery with and doing my bit to ignore it.

I would love to know the cause (and solution even though I'm not losing sleep over it).

Fitted a new battery and alternator just over a year ago, so any other suggestions gratefully received!

Post #159361615th Jan 2016 5:36 pm
Collwyn

Right, rang a friend who works at a garage. He said to come along and plug her in to his code ready (don't know the make or type).

And guess what - I'm just down past quarter of a tank and the brake works fine. Went along anyway and he plugged it in and said there was no fault stored. The voltage read 15.2 for a little while after he started it.

So I don't know. He thought that was to high, but reading on this forum someone thought 15.2v @75Amps was usual just after being started on a cold day.

To Boringoldgit - I'm sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned AF - only though after - and I'm with Geoff as he says you provide an excellent service and I will continue to use you again!

Post #159363015th Jan 2016 5:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >