Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Absolutely gutted. Show me to the canal.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mr.Tom wrote:
Maybe your avatar has something to do with it Whistle

Tell you what mr Tom it would be a bloody site cheaper on the broomstick, ask my wife Whistle

Post #153700629th Sep 2015 7:22 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Think my Gran has one, she still uses it occasionally but is getting on a bit...i will ask her how much she wants for it.

Have you done the test

Rolling with laughter
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #153700729th Sep 2015 7:24 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Aerialmark wrote:
Ent wrote:
The diff might be an easy fix, it could just be the bearings.

He said that the driveshaft was sloppy going into the diff and suspected that the bearings had collapsed. You see the problem I have is that when I pay all this money out I want a g/tee and the only way is to let him do it all including supplying the parts. I also got hit with another bombshell while I was passing on l the good news about the speeding ticket and that was the Preston firm wanted to overhaul the whole gearbox including the torque converter which as you know was done only 4 weeks ago. They will not g/tee it without. That means the price Confused Rolling Eyes has now gone to £2000 plus vat for just the gearbox. Crying or Very sad So we are now looking at other suppliers and other options. I would welcome any ideas or places that could do it so when I take his speeding fine form over to him tomorrow I can suggest these options. Rolling Eyes

Use the search facility you web footed, six fingered Dingle;)

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic134360....eplacement
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #153701029th Sep 2015 7:35 pm
Aerialmark

Mr.Tom wrote:
Ray's ticket Thumbs Up

I guessed your name was Mark

Sorry bit slow on the uptake like my D3 Thumbs Up

Post #153702729th Sep 2015 7:59 pm
Aerialmark

Ent wrote:
Aerialmark wrote:
Ent wrote:
The diff might be an easy fix, it could just be the bearings.

He said that the driveshaft was sloppy going into the diff and suspected that the bearings had collapsed. You see the problem I have is that when I pay all this money out I want a g/tee and the only way is to let him do it all including supplying the parts. I also got hit with another bombshell while I was passing on l the good news about the speeding ticket and that was the Preston firm wanted to overhaul the whole gearbox including the torque converter which as you know was done only 4 weeks ago. They will not g/tee it without. That means the price Confused Rolling Eyes has now gone to £2000 plus vat for just the gearbox. Crying or Very sad So we are now looking at other suppliers and other options. I would welcome any ideas or places that could do it so when I take his speeding fine form over to him tomorrow I can suggest these options. Rolling Eyes

Use the search facility you web footed, six fingered Dingle;)

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic134360....eplacement

Ey less of the web footed Sheep

Post #153702929th Sep 2015 8:04 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Why do they think it needs both diff and gearbox. Why was the TQ changed and no fault identified at the time with the gearbox?

Something does not sound right
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #153703029th Sep 2015 8:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Had a new autobox, TC & front diff on mine, transformed the car. Think the bill was about the same as you were quoted, but Warranty Direct helped out a bit!

Last edited by Landie71 on 29th Sep 2015 8:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #153704429th Sep 2015 8:21 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DN wrote:
What is wrong with the front diff ? Bear in mind that some have found just one bearing to be shot, so a bit of relatively easy work and < £50 on parts, and it could be ok for another 100 k miles. Wink
Thumbs Up

£50 for parts and oil, oh and a days work on the drive. See my post on how it's doable at home Wink

Oh there will always be a small amount of slop where the CV joint enters the diff, even on a new car.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Last edited by Nodge68 on 29th Sep 2015 8:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #153704629th Sep 2015 8:22 pm
Aerialmark

Yes Russell the TC was done by the garage I bought it from as a goodwill gesture (they also painted the passenger door ) The car was bought trade as he was a friend of mine and when I drove it it seemed ok apart from a slight noise and viberation from the front. But the day I picked it up it started with the surging Rev counter and a various other noises. They then changed the TC and I got it back only to find the noise still there. I contacted them and they did not look at the car for another week and then said they had found that the rear propshaft was knackered and a new one would fix it. Even bodsy said that looked like the problem when he did the remap. Anyway that night I had the new prop put on by the garage free of charge (I had paid for the prop £235) and gave him £25 for doing it as I was pleased the whole thing was sorted. On the way home I found the viberation was still there and a new fault had started where the gearbox upon putting your foot down hard to make it drop a gear which it had done without fault before suddenly went in fault mode and said on dash transmittion fault and only selected gear available. It had never done it before and the 2 things that had been done that day were a remap and a new rear prop. I went back just as they were closing and they said we will call you in the morning which they never did and that was 2 weeks ago. I have had enough of them and being messed about So I have now gone to a LR Indy in Barley and he diagnosed it straight away as diff fault and gearbox fault. He comes highly recommended but you may get a speeding ticket from the test run Neutral So my friend that is where I am up to and got to say pretty sick of it all. Big Cry

Post #153705029th Sep 2015 8:28 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do you not have a good spanner man that would remove the diff, strip it, change the failed bearing and refit it? It'll save you a good deal of cash. The diff itself isn't difficult to repair, it's just time consuming to remove and refit.
Thumbs Up
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #153706429th Sep 2015 8:36 pm
Aerialmark

No I wish I did. It would be too much for me to do. I was hoping that the chap at Barley would be able to do that but he just wants to change unit. If he cannot sort the gearbox at a fair price I may take it elsewhere but he seems to know his stuff ( if not the speed limits) so I would like to think he will do a good job at a fair price and I turn up and drive my new car out of the garage ( after parting with about £2600 but In the knowledge it is guaranteed Very Happy

Post #153708829th Sep 2015 9:01 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OK

I think rather than leap into the leeds to Liverpool or Rochdale to where ever canals...
get another angle on this...
If your D3 will drive....go to 4xFour in Leads & ask them for an inspection.....these guys you can trust & they have the collective knowhow.
Its a Censored when you splurge your hard earned & it goes tits up...
but you have to expect some outlay on a not new Disco3 on one hand they are high maintenance...the other is when running are a brilliant vehicle
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #153720330th Sep 2015 6:53 am
Aerialmark

Just an update I have been over to the garage this morning ( to give him his speeding ticket Whistle ) and we have decided to fit a repair kit on the front diff so it will be a little cheaper than a new one. He is going to book the car in for an inspection at the gearbox place in Preston as they want to test drive it and read fault codes while it is still in the car. They will then do a full overhaul including valves in the bottom of the box ????. Price is £2000 plus vat The other place in Manchester have quoted £1750 plus vat but will not replace valves what ever they are ?

Post #153734430th Sep 2015 12:30 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The valve block is responsible for controlling the transmission. Whether a refurb is necessary will depend on whether it has faults.

Quote:
MECHATRONIC VALVE BLOCK

The Mechatronic valve block is located in the bottom of the transmission and is covered by the fluid pan. The valve block houses the TCM, electrical actuators, speed sensors and control valves which provide all electro-hydraulic control for all transmission functions. The Mechatronic valve block comprises the following components:

TCM
    Six pressure regulator solenoids
    One shift control solenoid
    One damper
    Twenty one hydraulic spool valves
    Manually operated selector valve
    Temperature sensor
    Turbine speed sensor
    Output shaft speed sensor.

A radio interference suppressor is located on a bracket on the right hand side of the transmission, forward of the selector shaft lever. The suppressor is connected into the transmission wiring harness and prevents solenoid operating noise affecting the audio system.

Click image to enlarge

It's complex stuff. 8)
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #153735130th Sep 2015 12:48 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121561797025
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat