Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Best Scratch Remover?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gilmore

England 
Best Scratch Remover?

After finally getting around to cleaning my D3 after Wiltshire, Rockingham and the Peaks (yes - it was THAT dirty), quite a lot of bramble-related scratches became visible.

I've got Zambezi paint, so they're not too apparent. However, I thought I may as well try to polish them out.

What are people's favourite stuff to rub scratches out with? T Cut? - or is there something more sophisticated nowadays?

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #17814915th Jul 2007 12:12 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Best Scratch Removers

DON'T USE T-CUT...you will destroy the paint !

I have used Meguiars Scratch X before & it works - you can get this from Halfrauds & most other motor bits shops
It comes in a tube & doesn't remove paint at all like T-Cut or metal polish - its an American product.
I first used this in New Zealand on a Black SAAB I bought there - this car had been kept well but cleaned with chamois leather that weren't clean. The Scratch X got all the marks out.
For some years I used to bring this polish home on my frequent trips there - its now sold here & has a web site www.meguiars.com - they have a whole list of products & all off these seem to work

In fact if the scratches are only slight you might get away with using their three part system.
The first part
is a swirl remover,
then a polish
then Carnauba wax
this is bit of hard work but the results are really good & last. about £6..00 a bottle & you really need all three. It is economical, one bottle would polish a Disco at least three times.

My last Disco was a Java Black series II - all black cars really show swirl mark & these products seem to do the business.

Good Luck & tell me if these product work

Their is one other make of polish called Mothers - very similar but I dont think its imported here
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #17815815th Jul 2007 1:52 am
jkp

Scotland 

Hand removal is at best hard going. The most effective way is to use a machine polisher and polish to remove the scratches/ defects in the clear coat.

If they are not too deep you can fill them by using layers of Autoglym resin polish or similar. Then add a sealant or wax coat on top. This is not permenant but can mask the scratches or at least the bulk of the defects.

There are quite a few folk out there who offer this as a service. Whistle

Do a search for Valeters and detailers in your area. Although maybe be only cost effective if you are selling your car. No point in getting a paint correction then heading off back into the brambles again.

Post #17816115th Jul 2007 4:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Halfords selll the Meguiars stuff including ScratchX by the way. A pity their 3 for 2 car cleaning offer is finished!
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17817815th Jul 2007 9:55 am
gilmore

England 

Thanks very much.
I'll try the Maguiars (sp?) treatment.

You're right JKP - I think the full valet job will be done immediately prior ot selling the Disco. Which I hope will be a long long time away.

Have you tried this ScratchX stuff on your silver machine Brendan?

regards
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #17818015th Jul 2007 9:59 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, it works well, but you need a bit of old fashioned 'elbow grease' to make it work! It won't get out the deeper scratches of which I've a few short ones (which I suspect were deliberately made by someone), but in the past it and then Autoglym super resin polish made all bramble/etc associated scratches disappear. I, and most others got quite a deep scratch from something in France (all in the same place), and after a bit of work, it disappeared too. Be prepared to apply it several times to the scratches.

I've got a full days work coming up with sorting mine out after the Peaks too.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17818315th Jul 2007 10:04 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Rob, don't bother!

Are you going to do the same again next time you pick up some scratches and then again the time after that and then again.......? If so you'll eventually have no paint left to get the scratches out. Personally I'd give it a good clean and a good coat of wax and worry about the scratches when you come to sell it, at which point you should have a word with Ken who can professionally remove all but the deepest scratches for you for a very reasonable rate
 The End  
Post #17819315th Jul 2007 10:43 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

What Slimer says Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17819415th Jul 2007 10:45 am
Ken

Embarassed

Post #17819815th Jul 2007 10:49 am
Ken

Embarassed

Post #17819915th Jul 2007 10:49 am
gilmore

England 

Hmmmmmm. Fair point Simon.
regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #17820015th Jul 2007 10:52 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Meguiars -v- Autoglym

For me its no contest - Autoglym was when it first arrived a dealer only option & they use it to buff cars up before sale - using a rotary poiisher.
I too slavishly used Autoglym for many years - the resin polish & then the the extra gloss stuff - I still had scratches & swirls which really make a vehicle look used. & it washes off even with their own make car wash.

By not being able to buy Autoglym (when in New Zealand) I had to try other polishes & waxes hence Meguairs.

Remember what you take off by polishing with abrasives (T-Cut etc) the paint shop have to put back on - £s £s £s

The factors that convince me about Meguairs are:
- the paint cleaner (step 1) - doesnt remove paint or laquer no matter how hard you use it
- scratch X seems to make scratches "diminish" - try it on a sctratched CD (it works on these too)
- Step 2 - the polish prepares the surface for the wax
- Step 3 carnauba wax doesnt seem to wash off for at least six months (say 15 washes) - Autoglym is gone after 5 or 6.

- whatever you use will take elbow grease - it could be someone elses - engage the family
Meguairs does sell other types of polish but if you enquire the 3 step system is the best one, they also sell all sorts of other bits & pieces for cleanig vehicles - whatever ypu want to waste your money on. However the microfbre wash mitt is good & so is the drying cloth but for polishing I use old terry towelling or the low cost microfibre dusters from Tesco (about £0.99).

Autoglym have gone back to the dealer option in having the vehicel prepared & a pack of stuff to re apply it (both at high cost). VW do this & some Land Rover dealers (Pery's for one)

I had the option of a £300..00 Autoguard treatment on my vehicle - i didnt take it as the dealer said it wouldnt raise the resale value. Also when I had small dent in a door the guy from Dent Devils enquired if this had been applied - from what he said removing the dent would adversly affect the Autoguard - Note Dent Devils are really good - they took a ding out of my rear door that someone had inflicted by opening thier door hard into mine. 15 minutes & £40..00 later dent gone I cant describe how they do it but very very clever - not vacuum cups by the way & they didnt remove any door panels.

Polishes - There are more costly prepartions (& I mean costly!) you can by at extortionate cost (look for Swissol on the net) - but for me Meguairs just works. I have tried Mer, Raindance, Simoniz (the old yellow tin job), Autoglym etc.

Thinking about it I must have spent £s on polishers & spent months putting the stuff on & then a week later washing it off !!

Just a point - I also dont use a pressure washer at all - just a normal hose - pressure wahes are destructive.

Good Luck
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #17820815th Jul 2007 11:05 am
gilmore

England 

Oh bu99er.
I've just bought an enormous Karcher.

WHat 's the damage? Do they blow off the paint?

regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #17823115th Jul 2007 12:10 pm
BLFarrar

Pressure washing

Straight answer Yes

If you get too close & it will go straight under underseal, rubber seals, sealed items such as wiring shrouds & into sealed mechanisms eg brakes modules in the wheel hubs - anything that the spray is fired at....I know it is much easier & it doesnt leaves swirls - but it will really burger up any paint that isnt sound.

I too bought a Karcher last year & a work colleagus said "you'll end up with everting clean or minus paint" - I use my karcher for everything but the Land Rover

Try your New Karcher on say a piece of brick or concrete at close quarters- it can work at the substrate & remove layers - I work in a plant that makes concrete paving flags & know the difference between karcher type high pressure (moves anyting we point it at) & a high volume hose that just moves masses of what we want gone - but doesnt invade all the electronics we have fitted.

OK - this moce to pressure washers seems to be the current trend to wash a vehicle - have a good look at your handbook it clearly states - "pressure washing can damage the car" & when you realise this being a very high pressure device it clearly can.

You can get nozzles that ar a bigger cone & if these are used at a distance say 12" it may not do much harm BUT if you dont resist the temptation to go closer to remove a stubborn mark or debris you are in danger territory.

I have for years put a sign on my vehicle when taken to dealers for repairs or service stating [b]"do not pressure or machine wash this car"
& almost all occasions they have respected my instructions.

Be especially carefull of the Karcher nozzle that has a rotating device in the end of the lance - these are awsome for getting crud off concrete paths - but would be death for paint work.

To get stuck on debris from the underside of my Disco I use a hose & a garden sprinkler (the sort that goes sise to side) I just place this under the vehicle at stratigic points & leve it running whislt I do other tasks - it removes all stucj underneath in a gentle way.

Also the bigger the Karcher the more the volume of water per min not any great increase in pressure

Good Luck !
[/b]
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #17824715th Jul 2007 2:41 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Re: Meguiars -v- Autoglym

BLFarrar wrote:
[

The factors that convince me about Meguairs are:
- the paint cleaner (step 1) - doesnt remove paint or laquer no matter how hard you use it
- scratch X seems to make scratches "diminish" - try it on a sctratched CD (it works on these too)
- Step 2 - the polish prepares the surface for the wax
- Step 3 carnauba wax doesnt seem to wash off for at least six months (say 15 washes) - Autoglym is gone after 5 or 6.

Thumbs Up That carnauba was is awesome. Did the whole step treatment when I first got the truck (used), but also preceded step one with a clay bar. Smooth as a baby's rump. Two coats of the wax to finish it off and it's lasted wash after wash (I love the Mequairs Gold wash too). Hardly any scratches get through the wax either, always amazes people after an event how it comes back to 'new' just by washing and buffing dry with a fine terry towel.

Also just did the whole treatment on a friend's neglected D1 I'd borrowed. Turned out beautifully, the difference was night and day.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #17827515th Jul 2007 4:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >